This is Fucking Shit.

Anything yellow and blue
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

This is Fucking Shit.

Post by A-Ro »

How the hell do we get to lose a game that we were winning against ten men?

Something has got to change.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: This is Fucking Shit.

Post by Dr Bob »

I don't think that, in over 30 years of supporting United, have I been more angry at a manager than after that game. In the first half we did things a bit differently. This meant playing a bit more directly, with tempo, movement and we thus go in with a 2-1 lead over a team with 10 men. So what does MApp have them do in the second half? Go back to tippy-tappy, side-to-side, deathly-slow play - which means we lose all that forward momentum (until the last 10 minutes), allowing them to get behind the ball - yet they still have the quality to go forward and get crosses in that we continue to fail to defend.

A-Ro - that is the answer to your question, as far as I am concerned.

Then, afterwards, MApp has the nerve to come on RadOx and say he changed things around at half time to press home our advantage. Well Appleton - that is total bollocks. What you did was the complete opposite, because this 'good football' isn't - it is totally ineffective, as our league position shows. Saying what you said just confirms for me how utterly inept you are tactically (I thought it before, but I am so angry because that was definitive proof of your incompetence).

We then have players coming on talking about making individual errors, when the fundamental problem was the collective shift in tactics - which can ONLY come from what MApp has told them to do as a unit. And our inability to defend crosses is an issue of defending (or not), as a unit.

We then have to listen to callers to RadOx talking about the positive of the attacking football under Appleton...

I was concerned that, whilst being otherwise fairly impressed with Long (my first view of him) he was at fault for the first goal. But it is clear from the FLS highlights that he has been left trying to stop a cross coming in whilst being outnumbered 2-1 with wide players out on the Southend left. Where was the support? Whing did not come over, whilst Mullins is to be seen backing away, leaving Long to get on with it. Our first goal showed what we could do if we played more direct (something that is quite different to 'long-ball game') and with pace. But oh no, we can't be doing that for the whole game.

But because Appleton was (sour) cherry-picked by the owners, rather than being appointed through proper process, what are the chances of them trying to sort things out (which may or may not involve getting rid of him soon)? We are now 6 places but only 3 points above the relegation zone. And three of those 6 teams are way above us in the 'current form' table. Make no mistake - we are in deep shit - and that performance yesterday confirmed for me, if confirmation were needed, that Appleton does not know what he is doing.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Re: This is Fucking Shit.

Post by amershamwrighty »

Appleton hasn't got a clue.

Examples :

- he thought George Long was better than Max Crowcombe

- he has brought players in and got rid of them within a very short period of time (Jakubiak, Morris, Brown)

- somehow, he considers Dunkley to be a better player than Raynes

He stands motionless in his technical area. The other week, I watched Tony Pulis when WBA were something like 5-0 up against Gateshead and he was screaming and waving his arms about, urging his players forward.

The players need visible evidence of leadership from their boss - and they are never going to get it from Appleton.

I want him and Fazackerly out, and out now.

I fail to see how Mickey Lewis or Chrissie Allen could do any worse as a stop gap.