#together

Anything yellow and blue
neilw
Puberty

#together

Post by neilw »

I'm both a regular receiver and instigator of corporate cliched circulars, however, today's verbose message from the chairman takes some beating. Whilst well intended, no doubt, it confirms that the new regime are big on intent and lacking in substance.

I'd assumed, naively, that our scouting network were lining up new signings to jump on at the beginning of January. It appears not. Today's note suggesting; be patient, wait for next season and don't be cynical. Fewer words and more action would help.

At best this season is going to be an expensive waste. At worst ....
neilw
Puberty

Re: #together

Post by neilw »

"To me, life is about passion, commitment, enthusiasm, loyalty, fairness, trust, continuous learning, ambition, aspiration, friendship and camaraderie combined with perseverance, courage and resilience and finally, humility and a sense of fun."

Funny that Darryl, to me, life is about three points on Saturday.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

"We will make mistakes, but always honestly."

Well that's okay then.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

I've just been on a corporate induction day and forced to listen to this kind of crap. The financiers think they're philosophers now.

How very patronising of Eales. It does reflect something real though - there is growing disquiet regarding his chairmanship, and this is how he's trying to address it - a fucking soundbite. Shit or get off the can Eales; don't stand there with your flys undone telling us how much you believe in efficient toilet use.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

As I've said before this forum is full of misery. Always.

How about giving the man some credit instead? Poor old Eales is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.The guy is trying to identify hard with the supporters plus there have been plenty of useful commercial initiatives, Yes of course all we want is some decent home performances and a few wins to enjoy.

Who honestly thought we would be above mid table this season after the close season hiatus? But that sense of entitlement of some OUFC supporters just keeps on coming.

Eales and Ashton are as powerless as the rest of us once the ref blows his whistle. Just to churlishly slag the owner off for an at up and at 'em email is just so negative.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Well you did for a start - even recently you were predicting a finish of 10th.

When you takeover a club, when there is a rival bid from a Oxford fan on the table which the supporters trust was behind and had big plans, then if you don't get it right pretty quickly why shouldn't you come in for a bit of stick? Look at Eastleigh, owners there are showing real ambition and outbidding a large league 2 club for their top scorer. They seem to be on the up.

We have relied on a series of loans, unproven players from many leagues below and crocks desperate for a deal to stumble through to Jan. Fine, the pre season messing about hindered us but we have had enough time to work out who we need in Jan. However, we're not showing as much ambition as some other clubs. Take Riley for exampe, Bury have offered him a more attractive deal. Bury FFS. Given it was a definite that he would return to Bolton and a strong chance he would not come back a plan B should have been identified long ago. Doesn't seem like it has been.

They have also picked a manager with a awful track record who doesn't have a Plan B.

Given that we continue to attract some of the highest crowds in this division, depsite our woeful form, I don't think it's too much to ask that we do better than mid table. 14 years of under achivement - how patient do you want us to be?
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

It's not about misery or being positive, Eric. What I read on here are regular assessments of fact. Every time you read something you don't want to hear, you bite.

Continuing Darryl's corporate lingo, I'd suggest he has three key objectives for the first year:

1) Grow revenue
2) Provide evidence of squad development and improvement
3) Progress ownership of a stadium.

For me, the mid term assessment is a clear "not achieved". The contents of yesterdays note give me no indication that the assessment will differ by the end of the season. That electronic sermon makes me cringe. It made my teenage son laugh out loud.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

OxVox have a meeting with the owners on Tuesday. Would anyone like any sensible questions raised?

Eric has continually referred to this forum recently as full of misery. I have to disagree. I don't post much on here but people asking legitimate questions or making relevant observations is perfectly reasonable, it is the purpose of a discussion board after all. If that is deemed negative (and for the benefit of doubt I am not happy with the perceived negativity about the place generally but for one thing, it isn't all the fans fault) then so be it. It's what happens at football clubs.

If you get the offer right on the pitch, the negativity, disharmony and alike go away. It's very simplistic. If you deliver on promises then you should get the praise for it (BTW we have let 7 players leave or look like it will be 7 shortly - Howard, Marsh, Raynes, Brown, Newey, Hunt and probably Potter - we have brought in 3 'identified' players - all with no football league experience). Furthermore, whatever you think of him, we have lost Riley - a player who it was CLEAR was not getting a contract from Bolton at the end of the season. Unfortunately, Riley and THD are fundamental to our new style of play. So where is the January re-building? I am not being negative, I am pointing to a glaring observation.

Both the main two forums are criticial. I understand why that irks people. To date, Eales has funded an awful lot, he isn't, I think, getting much success/enjoyment from it. He needs some reward. However, for those who target individuals on those forums for being overtly negative - I'd suggest 'people' travel to the Oxford United FC RULE facebook page to see what that group think - now ERIC, that's misery - BUT they have every right to voice their opinions.

One very important point though - OXVOX AS A GROUP AND COMMITTEE DID NOT SUPPORT ANY BID (which is very different to individual views). We asked for openness and transparency from the three groups - The Lenagan's, ENSCO and the Methven Consortium. How can you support a bid when you don't know the alternatives.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Eric Pollard wrote:Who honestly thought we would be above mid table this season after the close season hiatus?
Er... the close season brouhaha was a mess entirely at Eales' own making. No-one made him get rid of Gary Waddock, who had spent much of the summer and the back-end of last season working with the group of players we had. No-one made Eales bring in MApp with little time to spare.

I'm not saying we'd have been doing much better if Waddock was still in charge - but it is disingenuous to suggest that Eales inherited a mess - in fact, he exacerbated one.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

I'm not biting, I'm stating a fact. Poor old Eales would be getting it in the neck if he was keeping his mouth shut. He can't win.

Yes, be negative about Appleton if you have to be as he has been somewhat disappointing to date - but Eales as well?
What is actually wrong with his message? Which bits don't you disagree with?

I do agree that it all really revolves around getting three points on Saturday - but on the day the owners are as powerless as we are once a game starts . I think it is only fair that they try to keep spirits up and ENGAGE.

Rather than that the Lenagans completely washing their hands of the club once Wilder left.

FWIW I think we will win tomorrow.

Oh and finally 10th is 'mid-table' in my book. What a pedantic place this is.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Brahma Bull wrote:OxVox have a meeting with the owners on Tuesday. Would anyone like any sensible questions raised?

Eric has continually referred to this forum recently as full of misery. I have to disagree. I don't post much on here but people asking legitimate questions or making relevant observations is perfectly reasonable, it is the purpose of a discussion board after all. If that is deemed negative (and for the benefit of doubt I am not happy with the perceived negativity about the place generally but for one thing, it isn't all the fans fault) then so be it. It's what happens at football clubs.

If you get the offer right on the pitch, the negativity, disharmony and alike go away. It's very simplistic. If you deliver on promises then you should get the praise for it (BTW we have let 7 players leave or look like it will be 7 shortly - Howard, Marsh, Raynes, Brown, Newey, Hunt and probably Potter - we have brought in 3 'identified' players - all with no football league experience). Furthermore, whatever you think of him, we have lost Riley - a player who it was CLEAR was not getting a contract from Bolton at the end of the season. Unfortunately, Riley and THD are fundamental to our new style of play. So where is the January re-building? I am not being negative, I am pointing to a glaring observation.

Both the main two forums are criticial. I understand why that irks people. To date, Eales has funded an awful lot, he isn't, I think, getting much success/enjoyment from it. He needs some reward. However, for those who target individuals on those forums for being overtly negative - I'd suggest 'people' travel to the Oxford United FC RULE facebook page to see what that group think - now ERIC, that's misery - BUT they have every right to voice their opinions.

One very important point though - OXVOX AS A GROUP AND COMMITTEE DID NOT SUPPORT ANY BID (which is very different to individual views). We asked for openness and transparency from the three groups - The Lenagan's, ENSCO and the Methven Consortium. How can you support a bid when you don't know the alternatives.
And I've got every right to express my opinion as well. You're confusing the issue. We are not talking about Mighty Michael this time.
I understand why there is supporter disquiet with the man.

I'm talking about his boss. It is not right that the chairman should get such stick for an encouraging call to arms. It's unjustified negativity.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

I notice you didn't respond to my point - which was a fair one, so not sure why your reference to 'biting'. As for this...
Eric Pollard wrote:What is actually wrong with [Eales'] message?
...the point is that listing a load of abstract nouns ("passion, commitment, enthusiasm, loyalty, fairness, trust" etc) isn't a strategy - it's just meaningless guff. Nothing is wrong with them - but they tell us absolutely nothing about what he wants to do with/for OUFC and how he'll go about it. Empty, meaningless press releases are worse than no press release at all, because it indicates that he's wasting his time on vacuous statements rather than doing/saying something constructive.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

Don't agree. What do you want him to say? 'Appy wil be shot by firing squad at the end of the Exeter game if we don't win both matches?'

As calls to arms go I actually thought it was quite good. Had more substance than many of the depressing corporate missives that I read.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Eric Pollard wrote:As I've said before this forum is full of misery. Always.

How about giving the man some credit instead? Poor old Eales is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.The guy is trying to identify hard with the supporters plus there have been plenty of useful commercial initiatives, Yes of course all we want is some decent home performances and a few wins to enjoy.

Who honestly thought we would be above mid table this season after the close season hiatus? But that sense of entitlement of some OUFC supporters just keeps on coming.

Eales and Ashton are as powerless as the rest of us once the ref blows his whistle. Just to churlishly slag the owner off for an at up and at 'em email is just so negative.
There you go Tim, we do agree sometimes. ;-)

The cynicism on here for what was a nice well intentioned outreach message, which I should add is refreshing and light years ahead of the like it or lump it we got from Kassam,. eons ahead of the sockless wonder, and universes apart from the borderline untruth schmoozing we got from Lenagan, is really sad and disappointing.

I thought you were taking a break from this tome Tim? I must admit after reading this thread, I'm tempted to join you.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

I am genuinely concerned about our league status and existence of the club. I'm not a misery, or negative, merely concerned. Maybe unnecessarily, but I'm concerned. What I want is reassurance. What do I get ... THAT email from the chairman and the local rag telling me "boss Appleton frustrated at failure to make signings". Rather than reassure, concern increases.

There appears to be no strategy, on and off the field. A few scarfs, a charter and a genuine intent really isn't enough.