Re: New Signing

Post by SmileyMan »

"To be playing in front of fans for real points is exciting."

Aww bless!
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Appropriate for a league two relegation battle? Is this really a time for unproven inexperienced kids?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I did wonder that too.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

So did Newey upset the boss commenting about the game to the papers?
I understood he's been one of the few to improve this season , and has also been working well with COD both as partners and as a mentor...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Welcome to United, Tareiq.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Notwithstanding the usual "I'll reserve judgement til I've seen him play" etc etc ... What the bloody hell?
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

My worry is that we'll be adding another Riley-type player to left wing back, when what we should be doing is playing four along the line with Newey going to left back and - dare I say it? - Hunt returning at right back.

Good luck to him though, and I hope my concern is unnecessary.

On a separate point, why does Appleton think there's only one system that allows for quick, short passing?
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

neilw wrote:Appropriate for a league two relegation battle? Is this really a time for unproven inexperienced kids?
As opposed to the grown-ups who've proven they can get us in that position in the first place?

He would have to be pretty terrible to make the results worse.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Tom Newey has been one of the better players recently. Not great granted but assisted with the goal on Saturday. I suspect Tareiq will make his debut tomorrow.

Who thinks Riley has been our best player this season? Going forward he's OK.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Brahma Bull wrote:Who thinks Riley has been our best player this season? Going forward he's OK.
I'd say Riley has been our weakest defender this season. It's no coincidence that we've had markedly better results when Hunt has been deployed at right back (and I'm far from his biggest fan either). Yet he seems to be frozen out now? As does Meades at left back - player of the season at a League 2 team before he came to us.

Anyway, another young loan signing (with no first team experience ever) from a Championship club - just what we've been crying out for surely?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Brahma Bull wrote: Who thinks Riley has been our best player this season? Going forward he's OK.
He looks promising when in advanced positions but his crossing, at the moment, is sub standard.
Defensively he has to improve his game.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

I agree I prefer Hunt to Riley defensively. Riley is decent going forward, but not good enough to make up for his defensive liabilities. (Still think that losing Batt and Davis were two of the worst transfer decisions of recent history.)

What is it with the loan players this season?

Morris - unimpressive, and now on sidelines.
Jakubiak - only started 2 games. (Shown a few good moments when he has played, though.)
Long - did a job, but not sure he was a better option than Crocombe?
Barnett - could be good, but not been too impressed yet. Means Hylton is shoved wide, which is a negative.
Riley - already discussed.

Does make me wonder whether money couldn't be better spent in other ways though.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Jimski wrote:I agree I prefer Hunt to Riley defensively. Riley is decent going forward, but not good enough to make up for his defensive liabilities. (Still think that losing Batt and Davis were two of the worst transfer decisions of recent history.)

What is it with the loan players this season?

Morris - unimpressive, and now on sidelines.
Jakubiak - only started 2 games. (Shown a few good moments when he has played, though.)
Long - did a job, but not sure he was a better option than Crocombe?
Barnett - could be good, but not been too impressed yet. Means Hylton is shoved wide, which is a negative.
Riley - already discussed.

Does make me wonder whether money couldn't be better spent in other ways though.
Ditto
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Brahma Bull wrote:Who thinks Riley has been our best player this season?.
#askashton?

IMHO, this is an utterly ridiculous signing. We could've brought in Leighton Baines and it still wouldn't be the answer to our problems.