Cockle pickers

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Cockle pickers

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Made my first trip to Morecambe and also my first game of the season.

Make no mistake, ignore the one eyed reports and commentary, we were poor (as were Morecambe).

I was quite shocked actually.

Junior Brown flatters to deceive and created all manner of problems, but not for the opposition. Despite playing left midfield, he tracked back virtually never, leaving Newey badly exposed all game. Brown needs to be told in no uncertain terms that he has defensive responsibilities. Attacking wise, he gave the ball away far too cheaply, and rarely beat his man. He was like a poor man's out of form Alfie Potter. On that performance, and I appreciate it is only one performance, I wouldn't give him a game in the reserves.

Carlton Morris. Think Steve Anthrobus without the ability. Appalling first touch, no work rate at all. Struggled to even get a single shot away all night. The only small point in his favour was that he was prepared to drop a little to collect the ball and move it on. Otherwise his movement was non existant. I'm sorry but on that performance, he is badly sub-standard and worse than any striker we had last season.

The third player who will get my ire this morning is Joe Riley. Bring back Hunt, all is forgiven (it isn't but you get my drift). Riley was guilty of being caught in possession close to our penalty area on numerous occasions. He was rounded with ease by Morecambe players and pushing forwards he had no pace, and he ended his runs standing with the ball taking forever to pass it and unsurprisingly ended up being dispossessed cheaply.

George Long is the Top Gear equivalent of a flappy paddle gearbox. He had no confidence in the air at all. Slow off his line, but when he came, often he came too far. Positioning very questionable for set pieces as well. Max Crocombe is a better keeper and should be started on Saturday.

Jake Wright and Johnny Mullins were excellent and without them we could have been beaten very easily by this very mediocre Morecambe side. Bring this back to me if you like, but Morecambe will not be top by the end of September and will end the season mid table at best.

Tom Newey regularly found himself the wrong side of the Morecambe winger due to his poor positioning, bad judgement of the flight of the ball and lack of pace. In fairness he got no protection at all from Junior Brown, but even so he had a poor game.

Ruffels, very one paced. He might make a defensive midfielder, as he tackles really well and has good movement and reads the game well. He won't make it as a creative midfielder though.

Collins I quite liked. Strong and mobile and always happy to receive the ball providing a great first link between defence and attack.

Rose was played out of position on the right wing and was ineffective there. Whenever he drifted inside he looked much more useful. Like Brown he too was guilty of not tracking back.

Hylton surprised me the most, albeit that I had low expectations. Very hard working, very mobile, but lacking a little pace. He desperately needs a competent striker alongside him.

On the subs, O'Dowda was pretty much the only Oxford player to even attempt to take on the right back.
Jakubiak saw so little of the ball that it was difficult to assess him. He looked quick but had zero shots.
Potter was awful and didn't look remotely interested in being there.

The style of play was quick passing but this was all done in the central third and never in dangerous areas. There was no incisive passing, and any attempts to get into the penalty area were easily dealt with by Morecambe.

Things have to change quickly or we will be facing a very difficult season.

We desperately need a free scoring striker, better still two. A replacement keeper. A right back, a left back, two wide midfielders and a creative central midfielder.

Saturday will be a much tougher test.

A mention for the shocking ref and Lino. We should have had at least one penalty, with the Morecambe keeper sent off. Hylton's yellow card was a joke. The Morecambe goal was offside when the first shot went in.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Re: Cockle pickers

Post by Yankee Clipper »

Totally disagree with almost all of that.

I can see exactly what Appleton is trying to create, it will take time and it will take patience. But I do think it will come. Yes we are guilty of over playing at times and lacking the decisive final ball but that will also come with more experience of the system. Yes there are still concerns and we are still a couple of players light. But I think this team under Appleton will get stronger and stronger.

The move that lead to the Hylton header was outstanding, we will start to open sides up.

Disappointing result but I don't think we were anywhere near as bad as your report, but it is a game of opinions.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Bizarre, to say the least, to read such diametrically opposing views.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Yankee Clipper wrote:Totally disagree with almost all of that.

I can see exactly what Appleton is trying to create, it will take time and it will take patience. But I do think it will come. Yes we are guilty of over playing at times and lacking the decisive final ball but that will also come with more experience of the system. Yes there are still concerns and we are still a couple of players light. But I think this team under Appleton will get stronger and stronger.

The move that lead to the Hylton header was outstanding, we will start to open sides up.

Disappointing result but I don't think we were anywhere near as bad as your report, but it is a game of opinions.
Were you actually there? Really?

The move for the Hylton header was nothing like outstanding. It was routine football, and IIRC it did not lead to a goal. ;-)

The Morecambe keeper didn't have a serious save to make all night.

I'm not sure that Morris had a single strike on target all night.

With the worst start to a season in many years, including losing to 2 of the favourites for relegation, how you can disagree so vehemently is amazing, but as you say each to their own.

Saturday will be interesting and difficult and the locals will be very unhappy if we play like that again.
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

I'm none the wiser on our prospects based on these contrary reports. :?:

I doubt Morecambe are very good though.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

I was there and I think we deserved a draw. Having said that, I think that's because Morecambe were as poor as we were. We passed it about a lot, and Morecambe didn't know what to do about it. The problem was, neither did we.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

GodalmingYellow wrote:

The move for the Hylton header was nothing like outstanding. It was routine football, and IIRC it did not lead to a goal. ;-)

With the worst start to a season in many years, including losing to 2 of the favourites for relegation, how you can disagree so vehemently is amazing, but as you say each to their own.

Saturday will be interesting and difficult and the locals will be very unhappy if we play like that again.

You don't need eyes to see you need vision...
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

To be fair, GY did pick out Wright, Mullins, Hylton, O'Dowda and Rose (when central) as the decent players, and those are pretty much the only ones who have survived the cull.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Yankee Clipper wrote:
GodalmingYellow wrote:

You don't need eyes to see you need vision...
Don't worry about the delay of more than a year since this thread died!
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

To be fair I came across this whilst looking for something else and it made me smile...

However I stand by the fact that I could see what Appleton was trying to achieve, I acknowledged that it would take time and would need some different players but was convinced that it would, given time come together...

Not many shared that view, just saying...
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Both posts were prescient. GY spotted the good players and the issues too