Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

WEST BROM away

Post by OUFC4eva »

The U's have been drawn away
to Premier League West Bromwich Albion in round two
of the Capital One cup.

Not a bad tie is it? Not been to the Hawthorns since 1991.

We have a terrible record there though.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Re: WEST BROM away

Post by Jimski »

I do remember seeing our only win at the Hawthorns, 2-1 under Denis Smith.

I also half-remember a game there where Les Robinson scored a rare goal. Is that right?

Also remember a very cold day when Joey got sent off. I believe that was just after Denis "saved us" by buying Whitehead for West Brom.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

My last visit was a freezing cold Saturday just before Christmas 1996. An entertaining 3-3 draw. Radley Rambler and I nipped into the pub behind the home end before the game, and despite not wearing any colours stood out as away fans because we were the only ones in there who weren't thick-set, shaven-headed and wearing only a WBA replica top on the coldest day of the year. The quickest pint I've ever drunk! Unfriendly lot some of those Baggies.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Michael Appleton and Mark Ashton return to one of their former clubs.

Incidently there did used to be a friendly pub/supporters club on Halfords
Lane, 20 odd years ago.

http://www.wba.co.uk/club/maps/
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

United get an initial 2,800 ticket allocation for the Smethwick End
of the Hawthorns.

The contest has been attractively priced at £10 for adults
and £5 for U.17's if bought in advance.

Kick off is 8pm on Tuesday 26th August.
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Jimski wrote:I do remember seeing our only win at the Hawthorns, 2-1 under Denis Smith.
I also remember TRYING to see the same game, not only our only win at West Brom but either the first or the only away win of that season...

But as a half-daft 18 year old going alone on British public transport, I encountered a kindly station master at Birmingham New Street who was a Sikh also with a thick local accent.

Hindsight suggests the directions he actually gave me was 'leave New Street, cross to Snowhill and take the train towards Stafford, get off at The Hawthorns, you can't go wrong' but legend doesn't actually record what my green ears actually heard.

Whatever the case, I pursued what I THOUGHT I had been told, and by 4pm I was in Lichfield and heading further away. At that point I abandoned my sojourn, and in those pre-smartphone days, I didn't learn United had won until I was back at home in Witney well on the back of 8.

Needless to say I still claim it in my quest to become a 92-Club member, pretentious chump that I am.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os9QgrbczxQ

The only time the U's have won at the Hawthorns
2-1 in 1997 (Banger and Purse)
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Penalties then. I hate these, too tense. Off to bed - I'll check in the morning what happened...
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Ugh - more disappointed about that than perhaps I should be, given I'd pretty much written this match off.

And 120 mins probably not gonna stand in good stead for the weekend. Oh well.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

This should give the team confidence overall and a good bonding session to go to pens.

Positive that WH played more than 10 minutes and influenced the match.

I enjoyed listening to the penalty shoot out on 5-Live.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

Such an enjoyable night (even though I ended up stranded in Birmingham having missed my last train home after the pens).

Went hoping to avoid a drubbing, and in fairness, WBA should have buried us in the first half but for some extremely profligate finishing and some last-ditch defending. However they increasingly lost their way in the second half and we grew in confidence. The introduction of Hoskins fair turned the game as his intelligent running suddenly started creating gaps for other players to run into. No two ways about it, we could have nicked it towards the end of the 90 and in extra time. An epic, epic shoot-out as well.

So good to see United set up to actually play. Too many times in recent years when we've played an away cup tie against a team from a higher division, we've been set up to keep the score down. Not last night. Really, really impressed and if they can take that sort of attitude and performance level into the league, then we will rapidly ascend the table.

An excellent performance from everyone, but I would single out Danny Hylton in particular who must have covered every blade of grass on the pitch and played with intelligence, passion and no little skill.

And the away support was magnificent.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

A enjoyable night and well worth £10.

The U's should have won the game in extra time
after taking the game to the Baggies after the first 45 minutes.
Albion's passing and movement was exceptional in the opening half
and they used the full width of the pitch to great extent.

Albion seemed to have options
everywhere.

But after the 90 minutes were played Hylton extravagantly pulled a high ball down out of the night sky,
turned and put the ball on a plate for Junior Brown six yards out
but he wanted an extra touch and a golden chance went begging
at the Birmingham Road End.

A real gutsy display by United who were very impressive
in the second half and got stronger once the classy Hoskins
was introduced into the fray.

I am liking what Appy is doing!
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Well, yes and no, OUFC4ever.

You're right that the Throstles were well worth their half-time lead (albeit through a shabby own-goal). I thought Sessignon tortured our back line, and we couldn't handle Brunt on the wing. Ideye also had a sublime shot which was worthy of a goal.

And yes, we looked much much better in the second half. The passing game is very easy on the eye, and will give us plenty of entertainment this season. We barely hoofed it at all during 120 minutes (even in the dying minutes on extra time when such an approach might've been forgivable!). But I do worry about the lack of a focus or an end product - the nice football needs an outlet, and I'm not convinced we have one just yet. I came to the conclusion that we are in a false position in the league - but not massively so until/unless we can create more chances and the strikers can put them away.

Nevertheless, a creditable performance away at a Premiershi* side. Credit to the WBA fans who applauded our players and supporters at the end - classy.

A few player thoughts, whilst I'm at it:
- Crocombe: started shakily (especially his kicking) but seemed to have grown two feet in stature by the end. Some good penalty saves and near-saves too. Deserves to keep his place on Saturday and show what he can do. Will he get that chance?
- Riley: looked a class act. Three critical tackles that I counted, and a strong presence. Presumably he went off injured?
- Brown: Mr Anonymous in the first half. Improved, but I was very unconvinced. Didn't track back, fluffed some key passes - and the sending off was silly, given that he was on a booking.
- Newey: much improved from last season. Got stuck in and worked incredibly hard. Awful penalty though!
- Hoskins: carrying a bit too much timber for my liking, but did well after coming on, and showed a good touch. But I would be worried about his fitness levels at this stage.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

An excellent performance from the team.

West Brom were very fast out of the blocks and Mullins and Wright defended superbly to keep them at bay, supported by an great night from Max Crocombe, who made several good saves and who looked much better than George Long.

Riley struggled a bit to be fair and West Brom frequently exploited his drifting inside, which often forced rose to pull back and defend the right back position for him.

On the left side, it was good to see Junior Brown trying out some defensive duties for the first time this season, which helped the generally excellent Newey enormously. The only slip up in defence came from the left when Junior Brown gave the Baggies right winger too much room and space to cross, which led to the own goal. Mullins could do nothing about the goal, the cross was hit hard and low and there was no reaction time to get out of the way or clear the ball, and Crocombe was stranded and had no chance to even get close.

However, that was pretty much where West Brom ended the game, as Oxford showed a real steely determination to get back into the game. West Brom slowed it down with lots of passing along the back and deep midfield and tried to deny Oxford the ball, but the work ethic was in abundance for Oxford, chasing down every single ball.

At half time, we did not deserve to be behind (nor in front I should add). It was a freak goal and despite their best efforts, the Premiership team were matched by the U's.

In the second half, West Brom again came flying out of the blocks, but after a couple of minutes and a couple more West Brom failures, Oxford began to visibly gain more confidence, realising that they could handle whatever West Brom threw at them. Oxford began to boss the game, retaining possession well, passing and moving superbly. Hunt was a big improvement on Riley from half time, and the right side looked much more solid. Oxford created chances aplenty, but were still failing to get decent shots away. I would say that Carlton Morris looked better and worked reasonably well with Junior Brown, but he doesn't read the game well and in trying to find space, he was never in the right place at the right time to score.

The introductions of Jakubiak and Hoskins made all the difference. Jakubiak was a real handful for the West Brom midfield and defence. He ran all over the front third and used his pace and close control well. Hoskins added experience and know how, dragging defenders everywhere, creating space whilst Jakubiak ran riot dragging multiple defenders to him and so giving space to Hylton and others to join in. Hoskins and Jakubiak could well be the missing keys to unlock the potential of Appleton's style of play.

Meanwhile, West Brom were getting fewer chances and Oxford were working the West Brom defence and keeper more and more. Hylton worked his little socks off all evening.

The goal was very nicely worked, good cross in to the back post, Hoskins positioned himself bueatifully to place a downward header back across the face of goal, for Hylton to finish from a couple of yards out.

In the second half an independent viewer would never have been able to tell the difference in league positions between the two sides.

If I had been offered before the game for the U's to take the game into extra time, I would have bitten off the arm of the offeror. To then more than hold our own in extra time and perhaps have the better chances until the final 4 minutes or so, when tired legs began to show, was icing on the cake. Penalties would have been the cherry on top, and Crocombe certainly did his bit with 2 fabulous saves and almost claiming a 3rd which would have put us through. No blame on the penalty takers at all. Jake Wright in particular looked heartbroken, but to even have got that far showed the wonderful commitment of the players and the superb Oxford crowd rewarded the players all evening.

Junior Brown was a silly boy, rushing into an unnecessary uncontrolled challenge for his second yellow card and thus red card. The position of the tacke was wide and half way into the West Brom half. Pointless, and the only blemish on an otherwise great night out.

We need to take this momentum into Saturday. I would start with the ten players who ended the game last night, plus Appleton's choice to replace Brown. If we play like last night in every league game, we will end the season near the top. If.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Junior Brown will be suspended anyway for 1 game so won't be available Saturday.
I also agree, Hunt was very good second half, and far better than Riley was in the first half.