kitson ?

Anything yellow and blue
andy james womble
Brat

kitson ?

Post by andy james womble »

heard a rumour yesterday that kitson was about to leave by mutual consent, later was told that Appleton had given him week off so watch this space
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: kitson ?

Post by Kernow Yellow »

The Secret Footballer certainly doesn't seem full of the joys of summer.

Funny, when Appleton took over Kitson's previous kind words about his managerial style were mentioned. I hoped it might give Big Dave a new lease of life to carry on for another season - after all he was our best player in many of the games I saw last season. But maybe the new gaffer doesn't want a big chunk of wage budget being used up on a suspension-prone midfielder?
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

His retirement has been confirmed by the football club this morning
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Not a surprise was it? - but the timing is interesting.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OUFC4eva wrote:Not a surprise was it? - but the timing is interesting.
Quite. For all of Appleton's diplomacy ("you shouldn't rush these decisions" etc), we've basically paid Kitson for the last two months to do nothing except go on holiday and then report back for about a week's worth of training. I trust he'll reimburse us the money (yeah, right).
Last edited by Kairdiff Exile on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

Yes, but better to go now than carry on half-heartedly, get injured after three games and cost us a full year's wages. I think we must accept that he came back with an open mind, found training mentally and physically too hard, and so made the decision he did. Although there is no evidence, I suspect the new manager did not make any difference either - this is Kitson deciding the battle with himself is not worth it.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kits said after the Plymouth game in April that he may have to make a decision
as to whether to carry on playing. He said that if his heart was not in it it would be unfair
"to continue to take Ian's money"

Does his decision to retire mean the contract is effectively cancelled
without any financial recompense/settlement due from United?

I would hope so.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I've seen a few comments around the message boards and social media about Kitson's 'huge' salary.
Whilst I don't doubt he would have been one of the top wage earners, would it have been that much over the top? More than Duberry / Leven type players? Kitson was looking to wind down his career close to home, so perhaps took a lower salary than what he could have got elsewhere? plus he was getting his arrears from Pompey.

Anyway, the glimpses of him at his best were good to see, the flick-ons and passes, even if some of the players weren't bright enough to read them.