Kick It Out

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2895
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Kick It Out

Post by Kernow Yellow » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 pm

So we wait this long for a signing, and the first one's a racist!

Snake
Grumpy old git
Posts: 4376
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: Kick It Out

Post by Snake » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:02 pm

Graham Rix and Jefferson Louis spring to mind as former employees who did time inside for offences that are worse. Then we have Debt Doctor, and God only knows what Nick Merry is up to.

Oh, and Robert Maxwell.

Shall we start a list/witch hunt or just give it a rest once people have served their punishment?

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2895
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Re: Kick It Out

Post by Kernow Yellow » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Snake wrote:Graham Rix and Jefferson Louis spring to mind as former employees who did time inside for offences that are worse. Then we have Debt Doctor, and God only knows what Nick Merry is up to.

Oh, and Robert Maxwell.

Shall we start a list/witch hunt or just give it a rest once people have served their punishment?
Sorry, I didn't realise someone had to have committed a worse crime than other previous employees for it to be worth mentioning. Racism is pretty up there imo. Mark Wright was sacked for much less after all. Anyway, I'm not starting a witch hunt, I'm just pointing out that he's served a lengthy ban for racially abusing someone on a football field in case others were not aware of it. I suppose if Swansea signed Suarez you'd not be bothered by his past record either?

The Enforcer
Brat
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:51 pm
Location: Abingdon

Re: Kick It Out

Post by The Enforcer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:29 pm

Next thing we'll be signing that murderer again as goalkeeping cover.

Snake
Grumpy old git
Posts: 4376
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: Kick It Out

Post by Snake » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:58 pm

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Snake wrote:Graham Rix and Jefferson Louis spring to mind as former employees who did time inside for offences that are worse. Then we have Debt Doctor, and God only knows what Nick Merry is up to.

Oh, and Robert Maxwell.

Shall we start a list/witch hunt or just give it a rest once people have served their punishment?
Sorry, I didn't realise someone had to have committed a worse crime than other previous employees for it to be worth mentioning. Racism is pretty up there imo. Mark Wright was sacked for much less after all. Anyway, I'm not starting a witch hunt, I'm just pointing out that he's served a lengthy ban for racially abusing someone on a football field in case others were not aware of it. I suppose if Swansea signed Suarez you'd not be bothered by his past record either?
Apology fully accepted, Kernow, as this is an alternative discussion board and you were right to point it out and it was certainly news to me. Surprised than no one has emphasised the fact that FK is a Paki and IL a northern rugby loving monkey, or that Brendan Rogers and Suarez live in a city where apparently everyone is on the dole and will rob your house. And don’t forget the fact that at Swansea, Wrexham, Newport and Crapdiff games thousands of opposition supporters are allowed to get away with the boring sheep shaggers chant. But hey, that’s football supporters for you.

And Mark Wright was not sacked for the Joe Ross incident (which was never proven), he resigned because it was the final straw in both on and off the field issues and it was cheaper for Firoz and better for Mark to encourage him to do that rather than take matters further. p.s. and anyone who witnessed Joe's performance on that day may well concur with me that the chant from thousands of home supporters that "The Referee's A Wanker" was justified.

Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2895
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 5:16 pm

Re: Kick It Out

Post by Kernow Yellow » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:11 am

OK, Wright was suspended and then subsequently left after Atkins was appointed. He was also fined and banned after being found guilty by the FA. I'm not sure what your point is, or the point of the rest of your post quite frankly. The fact that plenty of people are racist doesn't make racism ok in my book.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying that we shouldn't have signed Hylton, just that as far as I'm concerned there is a question mark over his character.

tomoufc
Dashing young thing
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Re: Kick It Out

Post by tomoufc » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:42 am

From what I can gather he denied using racist language. However there must have been evidence convincing enough for the FA to have charged him for it, although I believe that they make decisions based on weight of evidence rather than 'beyond reasonable doubt'. By denying that he has done what he did he is effectively saying that the player concerned was making it up, which is as serious a charge as racism, in my opinion.

Overall then I'm not particularly happy about this signing, but I'm not sure where it goes from here. I certainly think that however people feel about the issue shouldn't be determined by his success (or lack of it) on the field a la Suarez. And I think OxVox should be asking these questions from the club: was Hylton's charge considered when making the signing? How does the club square the signing with a commitment to the Kick it Out campaign? The point isn't to demonise someone for the rest of their days for mistakes they've made in the past. We all do stupid things when we're young. But serious mistakes should be acknowledged and there should be a clear indication that the individual has learned from them and improved themselves.

http://www.footballfancast.com/football ... tiful-game
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot

ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 6:55 pm

Re: Kick It Out

Post by ty cobb » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:37 am

If we signed Suarez I for one would not be concerned about his past record, I would be happy with his record in front of goal rather than things he has already been punished for.

With this chap I am more concerned about his record in front of goal which is pretty awful for a striker and the fact he seems to be one of Waddocks ex players which suggests the net isn't being case as wide as it should.

Hylton or Benao. I know who I'd rather have leading the line next season.

Snake
Grumpy old git
Posts: 4376
Joined: Thu May 11, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: Kick It Out

Post by Snake » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:45 am

Kernow Yellow wrote:I'm not sure what your point is, or the point of the rest of your post quite frankly. The fact that plenty of people are racist doesn't make racism ok in my book.
My point is that there are an awful lot of fans who are not whiter than white and think it’s ok to behave that way so long as it’s inside a football stadium. p.s. we shag ‘em but you eat ‘em afterwards.

tomoufc
Dashing young thing
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Re: Kick It Out

Post by tomoufc » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Snake wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:I'm not sure what your point is, or the point of the rest of your post quite frankly. The fact that plenty of people are racist doesn't make racism ok in my book.
My point is that there are an awful lot of fans who are not whiter than white and think it’s ok to behave that way so long as it’s inside a football stadium. p.s. we shag ‘em but you eat ‘em afterwards.
The phrase 'whiter than white' is rather unfortunate in these circumstances!

It reminds me of some of the comments (largely on YF) on the homophobia that stated something along the lines of 'football fans are prejudiced about a lot of things', then unstated 'so just get over it'. Perhaps it's not your intention, but that's how I'm reading it. It is, of course, a nonsense argument. You're concerned about anti-Welsh prejudice - good. I share those concerns; it's fucking stupid, ignorant, and not funny. But the fact that some people are racist doesn't legitimise it in any way or vice versa.

Anything that legitimises racism undoes some of the good and difficult work that has gone into eradicating it from the sport. It also in effect legitimises any other form of bulling, harassment, or intimidation of others based on their perceived characteristics.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot

SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread
Posts: 1630
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:39 am

Re: Kick It Out

Post by SmileyMan » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:39 pm

Innocent until proven guilty, and once punishment is served, given a second chance. If you don't base your justice system around those principles, you're lost.

Since serving the ban, has he repeated the behaviour? If not, then it's up to us to forgive him - he's fulfilled his side of the social bargain.

tomoufc
Dashing young thing
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Re: Kick It Out

Post by tomoufc » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:00 pm

SmileyMan wrote:Innocent until proven guilty, and once punishment is served, given a second chance. If you don't base your justice system around those principles, you're lost.

Since serving the ban, has he repeated the behaviour? If not, then it's up to us to forgive him - he's fulfilled his side of the social bargain.
I suppose it's easier to forgive someone if they show remorse for what the have done, rather than denying anything took place.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot

slappy
Grumpy old git
Posts: 2447
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:52 pm

Re: Kick It Out

Post by slappy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:14 pm

I don't remember any complaints about drink-driver Dave Kitson.

Jimski
Mid-life Crisis
Posts: 707
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 6:50 pm
Location: Oxford

Re: Kick It Out

Post by Jimski » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:17 pm

Drink driving is bad, no doubt about it, but it's nothing like the same kind of issue as racism, let's be honest.

Brahma Bull
Puberty
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:15 am
Location: Slumdon

Re: Kick It Out

Post by Brahma Bull » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:11 pm

Jimski wrote:Drink driving is bad, no doubt about it, but it's nothing like the same kind of issue as racism, let's be honest.
I guess the parents of the two young children who were killed on the M6 by Luke McCormick and his Range Rover, charged with death by dangerous driving and driving with excess alcohol, would suggest otherwise.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests