incoing players rumours

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re: incoing players rumours

Post by Mooro »

But | think the difference is that the recent posts (Joe P, Kairdiff etc) are still viewing this as an issue of either/or - which I dont think is necessarily the case any more.
Others are right to say that Wilder appeared to view it that way, and had a real difficulty in trusting our own, at least until leant on to do so more last season, but first impressions here are that Appleton & co do not share that opinion.

Yes, Riley has come in, and Bevans has dropped to third choice and Morris has come in and Marsh gone out, so on a strict like for like then you have a point, but that is to ignore two things i) COD, Long, Roberts, Ruffels, Ashby and others all very much involved in pre-season (yes, to some extent there was no choice in this but I feel they've had more of a role than absolutely necessity) so they are not being replaced by outsiders and ii) the chicken and egg aspect regarding the two players deemed to be missing out:
- Marsh has had his chances over the last two seasons, and struggled to take them (unlike many others that have come in) so there comes a point where a decision on him has to be made - not only does he meet the requirement for young back-up that Morris has taken, but does he even meet the requirement of best home-grown back-up, now that Roberts and Shama have emerged onto the scene?
- Bevans seemed to be in the box seat last season, but already by contract time something was up - he was offered a new deal alongside Ruffels (who took his), but turned it down, so is only here on an extension of his Dev deal. Does he think he can do better than us, does he think he is worth more than we offered/can get more than we offered elsewhere, where is his head at, is he getting ahead of himself, does he think he is 'there' already, is than element of holding him back ?????
I'm guessing Bevans will be offered a loan too, but whether that will be part of a plan to bring him back into the mix in 2015, or prepare him for moving on remains to be seen. It will also be itneresting whether he takes it, if it is at a lower level?
(I'm trying not to be too damning about him, and if the above sounds overly critical then that is not my intention - I honestly don't know the situation behind the scenes, so I dont know whether this is to do with attitude, management perception of ability or what, I'm just trying to say that Riley's arrival is probably more linked to BEvans as an individual player, rather than him being one of 'ours'....)
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

JoeyBeauchamp wrote:Have we? On long-term loans (full season or until January)? Can't think of too many. As far as I can remember the last long-term loans of youngsters we have had have been Williams, Rob Hall and JFC. The issue came when CW started bringing in all sorts of players, young and old, on short-term loan deals. I have advocated for years the benefits of getting raw, hungry youngsters from the higher leagues on long-term loans to play alongside experienced pros. Let's hope it pays off this season. If our youngsters are good enough they should get some chances - I would expect COD, Ruffels and Roberts (possibly Long) all to feature in the first team at various points.
If memory serves me correctly Rob Hall was never a long term loan, it was 2 or 3 short term loans and we never quite knew when West Ham were going to recall him. As for young players that have come on long term loans and not done so well; Sean McGinty and Daniel Boateng both arrived on 6 month deals this time 2 years ago from Man Utd and Arsenal respectively and flopped, Leigh Franks came from Huddersfield for 6 months in 2010/11 and didn't exactly set the world on fire. Those 3 names certainly aren't as memorable to Us fans as Williams, Rob Hall and JFC but they show that a borrowed young player from a club higher up the pyramid can end up as a brilliant or useless signing.

My main problem with the Morris signing is with what it's not rather than what it is. We're going into the season with 2 young strikers, and 1 senior striker whose ability to score double figures is questionable. Given the strikers we've lost this summer I'm concerned. I want to reiterate that Morris, as any player wearing a yellow shirt has my full support, and I really hope come May my concerns in August will look silly.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I feel very conflicted: on the one hand I am extremely excited about two young exciting professionals, one with Youth international experience, coming to our club from the teams in much higher leagues who seem to believe in them. On the other hand I am extremely against the idea of clubs like ours becoming both feeder clubs to the higher leagues, and custodians of their younger players using our facilities and (as they are now) high quality, experienced coaching staff to incubate their talent.

do I see this as a fantastic opportunity to see young talent play for our team and help my club up the league, or do I see it -as one step closer to clubs like ours in the lower league giving vital gametime to players who go on and flourish at a higher level, leaving us behind?
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yes, I agree. The increasing number of loans represents something negative for the lower clubs. Higher clubs hoover up talent at youth level, meaning (a) there are less likely to be good young players coming through at lower clubs; and (b) there are more players who need to build up experience but can't get experience at the higher club itself.

So while on one level this sort of move seems to be "beneficial" to both parties, in fact it's a symptom of the increasing disparity in the game.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

I would agree with this: it's yet another version of the moral conundrum of whether you go with the flow, or apparently cut off your nose to spite your face. As you are aware, the process starts at the age of about six, and is trawling with smaller and smaller nets, just in case - apparently - a big club might 'miss out on' a ten million pound player at age 16.

What was most iniquitous was the Premier League 'persuading' the FA that reduced transfer payments for young players should be payable on the grounds that this would help the England team.

However, it's all really a symptom of the game's obsession with money and the pyramid with such a narrow top: just think, these kids will have been playing six days a week for up to ten years. They and their families will have had stars in their eyes that they will make it in the premiership. I understand that the rules about payments and inducements to youngsters are widely flouted.

I agree the feeder club mentality must be resisted, but I can't see how one can begin to reverse it: it would help if one of the top seven built an identity as a 'local' (= Manchester, North London etc.) club, but that is not going to happen, because of the importance of global marketing.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Oxford sign highly rated Scottish U.19 international striker Alex Jakubiak from Watford
on a six month loan deal until January 4th 2015. Jakubiak turns 18 on August 27th.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Presumably he's been brought in to make up numbers in the development squad whilst Roberts is away with the first team?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: GOOD WILL HUNTING !

Post by OUFC4eva »

United sign former Brighton striker Will Hoskins on an initial 12 month
deal with an option of a further year.

Welcome to Grenoble Road, Will.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

OUFC4eva wrote:Image

Looks to have scored reasonably regularly at a higher level over several seasons.

Perhaps a little on the small side, but overall a signing with potential I would have thought.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

GodalmingYellow wrote:
OUFC4eva wrote:Image

Looks to have scored reasonably regularly at a higher level over several seasons.

Perhaps a little on the small side, but overall a signing with potential I would have thought.
I'm very excited about this, despite myself. It's so difficult not to get my hopes up, but I'm a chastened man, such is the condition of an Oxford fan. Anyway, welcome to the theatre of mediocrity Mr. Hoskins. Here's hoping you brighten things up.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Spent a year injured (ankle ligaments?) so is either now permanently crocked, or is going to go on a barnstorming year to prove to the big clubs he's still got it.

Knowing Oxford's luck it won't be option 2.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

United are being linked with experienced left sided midfielder Brian Howard, 31.

Hampshire born Howard signed a short term deal with Birmingham City in January '14
after returning from a spell with Bulgarian outfit CSKA Sofia.
The talented midfielder has previously played for clubs including Southampton,
Barnsley, Reading, Millwall and Portsmouth.
andy james womble
Brat

Post by andy james womble »

if this rumour which was on facebook today he will become only the second player to my knowledge to to have played for oxford reading and scumdon who was the first answers please
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

andy james womble wrote:if this rumour which was on facebook today he will become only the second player to my knowledge to to have played for oxford reading and scumdon who was the first answers please
Viveash?
andy james womble
Brat

Post by andy james womble »

correct