World Cup

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

World Cup

Post by recordmeister »

Right, now that the season is over.... Who is going to win the World Cup?
SWA
Puberty

Re: World Cup

Post by SWA »

The season isn't over, there are still European Finals and Play Off games to come.
To answer your question, the winner will come from either Brazil, Argentina, Spain and Germany IMO
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Don't care but it won't be anyone who has ever played at a level between Div 4 and Conference. Ever.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

England of course. My main reason for supporting Oxford is so that every four years I can happily settle into a deluded sense of optimism regarding the national team :D
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Humm, well at least two of the Englad squad have played at a level lower than conference (and only one of those on loan). Over a fifth of the squad have footballing experience in league two down:

Rickie Labert, Smalling, Fraser Forster, Joe Hart (who made his league debut against us), Ben Foster (as low as Tiverton Town) are the ones I know of. The others might too but I can't be arsed to check.

That is probably a lot higher percentage than people would think.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Fraser Forster's still playing at a level lower than League 2!
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

Argentina to win and England to be out at the group stage.
Too much pressure on Brazil which will impact on their performance.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

@kernow yellow
The SPL is NOT lower level than League 2. I went to watch Aberdeen v Dundee Utd recently, and it was a decent game. Both teams would smash OUFC!
Unless you were taking the piss?!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I wasn't being entirely serious! I still reckon the strike forces he's been facing most weeks will not be much preparation for a World Cup match - not that he's likely to play in one of those anyway, of course.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Kernow Yellow wrote:Fraser Forster's still playing at a level lower than League 2!
:lol:
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

SWA wrote:@kernow yellow
The SPL is NOT lower level than League 2. I went to watch Aberdeen v Dundee Utd recently, and it was a decent game. Both teams would smash OUFC!
Unless you were taking the piss?!
There are a couple of good sides in SPL but let's not forget Maclean who we let go has just signed a 2 year deal with St Johnstone.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

recordmeister wrote:Humm, well at least two of the Englad squad have played at a level lower than conference (and only one of those on loan). Over a fifth of the squad have footballing experience in league two down:

Rickie Labert, Smalling, Fraser Forster, Joe Hart (who made his league debut against us), Ben Foster (as low as Tiverton Town) are the ones I know of. The others might too but I can't be arsed to check.

That is probably a lot higher percentage than people would think.
But the original question was who is going to WIN the World Cup not who's going to play in it! Unless you think England will win ...

I will probably watch the England games if I can, if only in the hope of seeing Ricky Lambert having a great time! I love his story and his humility: he really IS living the dream!