DELAY IN NEW MANAGER

Anything yellow and blue
STEVE F
Brat

DELAY IN NEW MANAGER

Post by STEVE F »

I AM NOW FAIRLY CERTAIN THAT THE NEXT MANAGER AT OXFORD UNITED WILL BE EITHER MICKY ADAMS OR
BRIAN MACDERMOTT I THINK THE REASON FOR THE APPOINTMENT IS BECAUSE OUR CHAIRMAN IS EITHER WAITING FOR THEM TO BE SACKED OR FOR THEM TO NOT BE OFFERED NEW CONTRACTS AND SO BECOME FREE AGENTS THIS WILL RULE OUT THE NEED FOR OXFORD TO PAY ANY FORM OF COMPENSATION .

IF THE ABOVE IS THE CASE THEN IN MY OPINION IL WOULD INDEED APPEAR TO BE DOING THE RIGHT THING, WHATEVER THE OUTCOME THE FACT REMAINS FOR ALL TO SEE THAT A NUMBER OF PLAYERS AT OXFORD ARE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH AND BETTER PLAYERS ARE NEEDED NEXT SEASON WHOEVEVER THE NEW MANAGER TURNS OUT TO BE AND HOWEVER THIS SEASON ENDS UP RESULTS WISE .
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: DELAY IN NEW MANAGER

Post by SmileyMan »

So we can't afford compensation for a new manager, but we are going to spend money on new players? That doesn't really stack up, does it?

IL has already stated his preference for the club to be primarily built on training youth players, not buying in.It's probably a major factor in Wilder's departure, and is certainly one of the key requirements for any new manager.

We haven't been bought by a rich guy who wants to buy his way to the top as a vanity project. Instead, we've got a chairman who is trying to turn the club into a profitable business, which would give access to the credit required to buy the stadium, and only then push for the upper leagues.

f you don't agree with that, then stump up the cash and buy the club, because that strategy doesn't look like changing soon otherwise.

Non-promotion this year, however disappointing and frustrating, isn't the end of the world. Without a substantial summer budget, we'd have no chance of competing in League One anyway.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

STEVE F wrote:I AM NOW FAIRLY CERTAIN THAT THE NEXT MANAGER AT OXFORD UNITED WILL BE EITHER MICKY ADAMS OR
BRIAN MACDERMOTT I THINK THE REASON FOR THE APPOINTMENT IS BECAUSE OUR CHAIRMAN IS EITHER WAITING FOR THEM TO BE SACKED OR FOR THEM TO NOT BE OFFERED NEW CONTRACTS AND SO BECOME FREE AGENTS THIS WILL RULE OUT THE NEED FOR OXFORD TO PAY ANY FORM OF COMPENSATION .

IF THE ABOVE IS THE CASE THEN IN MY OPINION IL WOULD INDEED APPEAR TO BE DOING THE RIGHT THING, WHATEVER THE OUTCOME THE FACT REMAINS FOR ALL TO SEE THAT A NUMBER OF PLAYERS AT OXFORD ARE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH AND BETTER PLAYERS ARE NEEDED NEXT SEASON WHOEVEVER THE NEW MANAGER TURNS OUT TO BE AND HOWEVER THIS SEASON ENDS UP RESULTS WISE .
How can you be certain it will be one person or another? If you are certain, you would know which it is. Otherwise you are not certain. I would suggest that your post is purely the result of speculation, probably your own self believed speculation, and not based on any facts or information at all.

A team that was top of the table for some time and has been in the play offs or above for the entire season cannot be described as being not good enough. Who are you expecting us to sign? Suarrez perhaps, or Ozil maybe? And where do you think the money will come from for these supposed better players? The club is, and should be, aiming for zero profit or loss, which gives sustainability and maximum investment for the size of the club. This is yet another in a long series of posts where you are demanding that Lenagan puts the club into serious financial risk, and I would question whether any true supporter with half a brain would want that, or maybe you have one of the rare and elusive money trees in your back garden.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I think it's extremely likely that Lenagan is targeting a manager currently in employment. Otherwise the delay makes no sense - there has been plenty of time to whittle down the list of applicants and agree terms with a free agent. I would, however, seriously doubt that Brian McDermott is going to come here. I think Micky Adams or one of several L2 managers (Beattie, Sheridan, Tisdale) is more likely.

Regarding new players, I think it's very important that the new manager (whoever he is) gets to look at the players whose contracts are up and make decisions on them and identify targets to strengthen our squad. That's one of the reasons I think it's imperative to get someone in before the end of the season.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Kernow Yellow wrote:I think it's extremely likely that Lenagan is targeting a manager currently in employment. Otherwise the delay makes no sense - there has been plenty of time to whittle down the list of applicants and agree terms with a free agent. I would, however, seriously doubt that Brian McDermott is going to come here. I think Micky Adams or one of several L2 managers (Beattie, Sheridan, Tisdale) is more likely.

Regarding new players, I think it's very important that the new manager (whoever he is) gets to look at the players whose contracts are up and make decisions on them and identify targets to strengthen our squad. That's one of the reasons I think it's imperative to get someone in before the end of the season.
I agree with that KY. At present Lenagan is having to rely on MLs judgement on who to offer new deals to and we know he has already started that process.

Another issue for me is that by not appointing a permanent manager and thereby not being seen to really push for promotion, may well be off putting to existing players signing contract extensions and off putting to potential new players that may need to be signed in the summer.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I think it is fairly certain that were we just appointing a single position to an out of work person, then it would have been done by now.
This then leaves one of two alternatives: either the person we want is in employment, or IL is looking to appoint a DoF as well as a manager and wants to announce both in tandem, rather than announce one then have the other fall through. Again, though, the latter would also probably have happened by now if both were out of work.

A number of names have been banded around as to who the 'employed' person is, with STEVE just looking on a slightly grander scale than some others, but I don't think he is completely off the scale. Both of the names he mentions also fit the profile of someone who could have become available sooner, but events at their current club have mitigated against what was originally thought.

Seven weeks ago, few would have expected Exeter to still be under threat of relegation by now or Plymouth to still have a real shot at the playoffs and while Accrington were never likely to shoot up the table, there was a decent chance that Noton and Torquay could have tailed off sufficiently by now for Beattie's job there to be done.
McDermott, while not an obvious candidate to drop down, has already been sacked once and would no doubt have been done so again had this Italian chap completed his takeover in the mean time (and may anyway given recent results), so was likely to be available at any moment, and may have been tempted by the prospect of a more stable chairman than he has had recently. As for Adams, then who knows what form his talks there are taking, but that too may have influenced things.
Also, seven weeks ago, how many would have expected us to take SUCH a dramatic downturn under Mickey Lewis?

There is the issue as to whether any of these clubs could have been persuaded to release their manager earlier by compensation, or whether IL would be met with a flat refusal, we will probably never know, possibly a mixture, but even then, there was a decent argument for not paying out unnecessarily when: it would probably be only a couple of weeks until they became available, our playoff position looked secure, no-one was chasing us down from mid-table, and we had an obvious candidate in ML to keep us ticking over and in or around the automatic places ready to give the new guy the chance to finish the job when he came in.

I just hope the tipping point that allows the release of the new man comes soon, or indeed already has!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I really hope we're not hanging around on the off chance that McDermott will be sacked. That would be criminally irresponsible. I also don't see why he'd want to go from Premier League to Div 4 in the space of little more than a season. 'Stable chairman' or not. Most managers who've been so high up the pyramid recently are used to being given a bit more money to spend than is ever going to happen here. Unless he remembers his playing days with us so fondly of course :shock: