a tousle-topped dog that found a home and just stayed there

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

a tousle-topped dog that found a home and just stayed there

Post by Mooro »

What a wonderful description of young Mickey Lewis, in this piece from the Grauniad

http://www.theguardian.com/football/foo ... vision-two
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: a tousle-topped dog that found a home and just stayed th

Post by SmileyMan »

Not sure about the rest of the piece, though, seemed a bit light on knowledge of the U's situtation. I'm not sure that 'in a playoff spot' really counted as 'farce' last week?

I'd forgotten Connolly used to play for the Original Dons though. That must have stung AFC.....
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I thought it was farcical that it was open knowledge that Wilder was going to resign after the game last week, that he left the building, leaving the chairman to give a radio interview at 6pm couched in "it appears he has", and "it seems", only for Wilder's agent to deny this at 10pm, and then on Sunday evening for it to be finally confirmed. It makes our club look a bit mickey mouse, and for me it should have been handled better and it sours Wilder's departure. Presumably there was some brinkmanship going on in terms of the move to Northampton and the negotiations. The interview in the Football League Paper confirms there are confidentiality clauses regarding the departure as well as a clause not to poach Oxford players (doesn't say for how long though, or whether out of contract players are fair game).

It's not as if a big club like Leeds would let anything silly like that happen regarding managerial changes.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

slappy wrote:It's not as if a big club like Leeds would let anything silly like that happen regarding managerial changes.
Have I missed something? I thought McDermott was still in charge...
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Lovely piece! Aimed at the general reader rather than OUFC fans, but I'd say that knowing Josh Ruffels was 'the 20-year-old son of the butcher by the old Manor Ground' shows pretty good knowledge of United! (if it's true)
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I just love that they rhymed class with farce
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Mooro wrote:I just love that they rhymed class with farce
What, like anyone with an Oxford accent (or just a normal RP one, for that matter) would do?
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Werthers Original wrote:but I'd say that knowing Josh Ruffels was 'the 20-year-old son of the butcher by the old Manor Ground' shows pretty good knowledge of United! (if it's true)
It was in the Programme on Saturday so I expect that they took it from that!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Mooro wrote:I just love that they rhymed class with farce
What, like anyone with an Oxford accent (or just a normal RP one, for that matter) would do?
You and I know that, but....
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

slappy wrote:I thought it was farcical that it was open knowledge that Wilder was going to resign after the game last week, that he left the building, leaving the chairman to give a radio interview at 6pm couched in "it appears he has", and "it seems", only for Wilder's agent to deny this at 10pm, and then on Sunday evening for it to be finally confirmed. It makes our club look a bit mickey mouse, and for me it should have been handled better and it sours Wilder's departure. Presumably there was some brinkmanship going on in terms of the move to Northampton and the negotiations. The interview in the Football League Paper confirms there are confidentiality clauses regarding the departure as well as a clause not to poach Oxford players (doesn't say for how long though, or whether out of contract players are fair game).

It's not as if a big club like Leeds would let anything silly like that happen regarding managerial changes.
I don't think it makes the club look Mickey Mouse. It makes Wilder look unprofessional though.