Oxford manager poll

Anything yellow and blue

Whom would you most like to see as Oxford United manager for the remainder of this season?

Mickey Lewis
14%
Chris Allen
7%
Sean O'Driscoll
14%
Martin Allen
4%
Paul Ince
4%
Dave Kitson
No votes
Paul Tisdale
36%
Dean Saunders
No votes
None of the above
21%

Total votes: 28

Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Oxford manager poll

Post by Hog »

I was thinking Warnock too but was too shy to say! I can't imagine he needs the money but if he is too expensive long-term then perhaps he would see us through to the summer ...
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Warnock?? No no no no no no no. Arghhh.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Ancient Colin wrote:Warnock?? No no no no no no no. Arghhh.
Why, why , why , why, why, why, why ?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

As my son phrases it "because he is a complete dick."
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

He's got a great record of promotions, so he can't be a total dick, otherwise players wouldn't play for him.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Ancient Colin wrote:As my son phrases it "because he is a complete dick."
How would your son rate his dickishness in the SI unit of millidicanios?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

SAF is a dick too but he was reasonably successful!
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:...but most of all…why NOT Warnock?
Er... because there's no way in the world he'd come to fourth-division Oxford United?
And you know that...how?

More importantly, why would he not, when, as OUFC4Eva says, he is keen to return to management, and presently only working in the media. There are only 92 top jobs in English league football management, they are at a premium, they don't necessarily come around quickly. Whatever your background, it is an appealing job if you are an out-of-work football manager.

Five months work, quick promotion on the CV, springboard to something else if he doesn't wish to stay then. I agree it would be a coup, and I also don't think it's likely - I don't think he'd apply and I think we'd have to approach him - but I can't understand your attitude that it's an impossibility. Alex Ferguson with 3 European Cups or whatever, I could understand has nothing left to prove. Warnock however, has seven promotions, and may have won the odd division title here or there. He is however, much older than I realised and may officially have retired, which is a far more relevant argument.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

GodalmingYellow wrote:I'm surprised Snake hasn't been on complaining that the question and possible answers haven't been phrased properly!! ;-)
I won’t complain as the question is perfect in that it states “Oxford United manager for the remainder of this season?” and not beyond. I’d let the current management team handle it then sort it out in May if they can’t.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

BigCrompy wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:
BigCrompy wrote:...but most of all…why NOT Warnock?
Er... because there's no way in the world he'd come to fourth-division Oxford United?
And you know that...how?
Fancy a flutter on it? £20 to the charity of your choice says Neil Warnock will not be out next manager.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

I think I prefer Tisdale followed by James Beattie.

A name completely off the radar but someone I used to follow about 5 years ago, Alex Inglethorpe. I doubt he would come here though.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

The team was well drilled and solid on Tuesday but apart from putting Rigg on his natural left side for the last 10/15 minutes I saw nothing to warm to ML/AM for the rest of the season.

Oh for a manager who was a striker in his playing days (with a good defensive coach)!

BTW Beavans played well by the way IMHO and Hunt can do a job in central defence.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Hence the nickname 'Colin'. But at least he'd be *our* dick. He hasn't failed much, and he's out of a job. He has a house in Cornwall, I believe - he always brings his teams down here for pre-season. If that has any bearing on anything...
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Boogie wrote:The team was well drilled and solid on Tuesday but apart from putting Rigg on his natural left side for the last 10/15 minutes I saw nothing to warm to ML/AM for the rest of the season.
Playing Devil's Advocate, even if he wanted to change some things around, he would not really have had much chance between (presumably) Monday morning back in training and (again, presumably) Tuesday morning's coach departure for Exeter.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Kevin Keen is the bookies new favourite at 3/1. From nowhere to favourite. Somebody must have heard something...