The Search For A New Manager Has Started!

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

The Search For A New Manager Has Started!

Post by OUFC4eva »

Chris Wilder has resigned and the recruitment process
has started.

Let's get the right man in and push for promotion.

UNITED WE STAND
STEVE F
Brat

Re: The Search For A New Manager Has Started!

Post by STEVE F »

THE ONES I WOULD CONSIDER , PAUL JEWELL , DAVE JONES , KEITH BLACKWELL , MICK APPLETON ALL ITHINK OUT OF WORK SO NO COMPENSATION.

SOME UNTRIED AT IN FOOTBALL LEAGUE BUT COULD BE CONSIDERED ADIE VIEVASH , MARTIN GREY , ANDY CROSBY,OR RICHARD HILL .

THESE I DO NOT CONSIDER UP TO THE JOB NO OUFC BACKROOM STAFF AT ALL AND NONE OF THESE PAUL INCE , DI CANIO , MARTIN LING OR PAUL STURRUCK
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I think if there's one thing we can all agree on, its's no Di Canio.

I'm glad we're gong through the recruitment and interview process properly. It's absolutely crucial that we get the right person for this job if we're to move on from where we are.

Do you reckon we could tempt Paul Hart out of his academy job at Charlton? He'd fit with the brief to bring the youngsters through? Or is he a bit past his sell-by date now?

Martin Allen the bookies favourite as of first thing this morning. Would seem a pretty good fit all around, although maybe a tad unambitious.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

O'driscol is a good shout.
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Not Paul Hart. Someone similar - with the highest qualifications and youth development experience - but at an earlier stage in their career - not a first team manager - would be on my shortlist.

Of those mentioned in other places; O'Driscoll, Penney and Keown all have attractions. They also all have their flaws.

More important than individuals is a proper process and criteria, suggest; league (promotion) experience, youth development, sports science and retention of current staff.

An unknown is a risk. However, few had heard of former Witney player Brendan Rodgers or Karl Robinson once.
STEVE F
Brat

Post by STEVE F »

NEWS THAT BRIAN MACDERMOTT HAS BEEN SACKED MY FIRST CHOICE WAS PAUL JEWELL BUT THINK EITHER HE OR
MACDERMOTT WOULD BE IDEAL
I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT MONEY HAS TO BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT BUT AM SURE THAT EITHER OF THESE TWO MANAGERS WHILE COSTING MORE THAN SOMEOF THE OTHER MANAGERS ON OFFER WOULD BE FAR BETTER INVESTMENTS

I AM CERTAIN THAT THE CHAIRMAN WILL TAKE GREAT CARE TO FIND THE RIGHT MAN BUT SPENDING MORE TO BRING IN A HIGH CLASS PROVEN MANAGER WHILE IT WILL NOT ASSURE US OF GOING UP THIS SEASON WOULD IN THE LONG TERM BE BETTER FOR OXFORD UNITED
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I have to say that my first thought on hearing the MacDermott news was 'Surely not?' but it's probably a pipe dream at best. We're Oxford - we just don't get that lucky.

Of course, someone will be on to say "Anyone but him, my aunt says he's got shifty looking eyes" or something.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kevin Keen has appeared from nowhere to be backed to the extent that he is not 9/4 with several bookies - anyone got some gossip on that?

A bit leftfield given that he has only been a caretaker manager for 9 games with a W1 D1 L7 record!

Was most recently head coach at West Brom but was sacked with Steve Clarke in December.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Radley Rambler wrote:Kevin Keen has appeared from nowhere to be backed to the extent that he is not 9/4 with several bookies - anyone got some gossip on that?

A bit leftfield given that he has only been a caretaker manager for 9 games with a W1 D1 L7 record!

Was most recently head coach at West Brom but was sacked with Steve Clarke in December.
Presumably it is his coaching background that is of interest, as he took on the U17s at the Hammers in 2002, moving onto the reserves and then the first team in 2006, a position he held for five years. He spent a year as first team coach at Liverpool under Dalglish, then Albion under Clarke. Wiki also reckons he nearly got the Wycombe job instead of Waddock.
So an interesting candidate, but quite why he is SO high up the list is not yet clear....
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Still no news about our managerial vacancy, apart from IL suggesting he might favour a dual 'Sporting Director / Coach' setup. In the meantime all sorts of names are being linked with the job - the latest being ex-Hearts and -Lithuania manager Csaba Laszlo.

I wonder when we'll know what's happening?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Kernow Yellow wrote:I wonder when we'll know what's happening?
From memory, the first anyone outside the club knew about CW was when it was officially announced. We're not big enough for reporters to sit outside the club hoping to spot someone heading in for an interview.
STEVE F
Brat

Post by STEVE F »

A NUMBER OF FANS MAY DISAGREE BUT I THINK THE SOONER A NEW MANAGER IS NAMED THE BETTER.
THE TEAM HAVE IN FAIRNESS DONE WELL UNDER LEWIS HOWEVER I DO NOT THINK HE WOULD BE MY OPTION FOR THE JOB LONG TERM . DAVE JONES , PAUL JEWELL TYPE OR MACDERMOTT IF HE EXITS LEEDS . WHO EVER IT THE CHAIRMAN DECIDES UPON I THINK HE NEEDS NAME HIM SOON AND NOT GO FOR LEWIS AS A CHEAP OPTION
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I happen to agree with Steve regardless of what happens in the next 3 games.

JC, Newey, Smalley and Rigg are some of those out of contract at the end of the season and whoever tales charge, having time to assess the players must be a good things.

There seems to be no communication as to how the whole process is going.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

SmileyMan wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:I wonder when we'll know what's happening?
From memory, the first anyone outside the club knew about CW was when it was officially announced. We're not big enough for reporters to sit outside the club hoping to spot someone heading in for an interview.
True, but in this day and age nothing seems to happen without twitter knowing about it first. When was the last time a football manager appointment was officially announced and caused any surprise at all?

Anyway, what I really meant was 'when will we have some information regarding how the process is coming along'? Is IL waiting to see how ML gets on before making a decision on whether to look elsewhere? Have people been interviewed? Not that we have a right to know everything that goes on, but it would be interesting. You'd be forgiven for forgetting we have a managerial vacancy at all at the moment!
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Trying to look outside the usual suspects: http://www.football365.com/f365-feature ... y-Westwood