Promo or no-no?

Anything yellow and blue

What is your current view on whether OUFC will get promoted this season?

Promoted? We will be Champions!
4%
Automatic promotion looks the most likely outcome.
11%
Play offs are the best we can hope for.
71%
We're not good enough to be promoted.
14%
Promotion? We're not safe from relegation!
No votes

Total votes: 28

GodalmingYellow
Senile

Promo or no-no?

Post by GodalmingYellow »

7 day poll to see where people believe the club is, prior to the end of the transfer window.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re: Promo or no-no?

Post by Paul Cooper »

I don't quite agree with the categories.

I think that the play offs are most likely but we have a reasonable chance of automatics. So I could not say Automatics are most likely. I put play offs is the best that we can hope for , even though I think we have a chance of automatic promotion.
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

Paul Cooper wrote:I don't quite agree with the categories.

I think that the play offs are most likely but we have a reasonable chance of automatics. So I could not say Automatics are most likely. I put play offs is the best that we can hope for , even though I think we have a chance of automatic promotion.
Eh?
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Andrewmaha wrote:

Eh?
I'm with Paul on this one.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Tricky one this. I really feel our season could go either way, but my gut instinct is that we'll continue to return a mixed bag of results and hang on to a play-off spot. I don't see us winning them though. So a combination of options 3 and 4 for me (I've gone for the former).
Andrewmaha
Brat

Post by Andrewmaha »

Dr Bob wrote:
Andrewmaha wrote:

Eh?
I'm with Paul on this one.
Well that rules out 3 of us who think we are going up as champions
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Its not supposed to be that scientific!!

Each category given represents one of the available options for finishing in the division ie champions, autos, play offs, also rans, relegation. You just have to pick which you think is most likely based on your knowledge and hopes and fears at the moment. It really is no more complicated than that.

I went for automatic, because I think the addition of the players returning from injury makes our squad at least as good as any other in this division, but our home form, and games we have already lost make it unlikely that we'll be champions.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Call yourself fans? Champions is the only possible outcome, starting with a 7-0 tonking of Torquay on Saturday.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Think the top 8 will remain the top 8, but frankly there is so much inconsistency across the board, that it could be in absolutely any order - therefore as there are 4 playoff spaces, 2 autos, 1 champion and 1 nowt, then percentage wise it has to be the playoff places......
....and if so, we must make sure we finish 6th or 7th, so that we can get the home leg out of the way first, then we know what we have to claw back away from home in the 2nd leg......
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

The last category will no doubt get at least one vote when YF Dan sees this
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

The thing is, even if we do get promoted what are our chances of surviving in a higher division with the current squad? Does anyone have a list of the current contract situation for each member of the squad? Who is contracted beyond the end of this season and who isn't? Would it be in the best interests of some players not to get promoted? For instance would Beano be offered a L1 deal? Would Rigg? Would Whing?

If someone does have a list it would be interesting to see opinions on who we would keep/release depending on the division. Presumably Smalley has already been told ...
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Hog has moved the debate much closer to the major issue that bothers me - given the track record of L2 promoted teams over the last 5 years (Chesterfield, Exeter, Wycombe, Stevenage, Bury, Shrewsbury etc) is CW the man to keep us in L1 even if we get there ?

We can argue until the cows come home about whether CW should be offered another contract or not, but I have no confidence that CW is the man to develop the squad into a 'good chance of avoiding relegation from L1' outfit.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

amershamwrighty wrote:Hog has moved the debate much closer to the major issue that bothers me - given the track record of L2 promoted teams over the last 5 years (Chesterfield, Exeter, Wycombe, Stevenage, Bury, Shrewsbury etc) is CW the man to keep us in L1 even if we get there ?

We can argue until the cows come home about whether CW should be offered another contract or not, but I have no confidence that CW is the man to develop the squad into a 'good chance of avoiding relegation from L1' outfit.
Not so much a glass half empty attitude, more an 'even if the glass is half full, we'll probably knock it off the table, smash it, and get glass in our feet' attitude?

Let's deal with the problem of League One survival when we're actually in it, perhaps?
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

SmileyMan wrote:
amershamwrighty wrote:Hog has moved the debate much closer to the major issue that bothers me - given the track record of L2 promoted teams over the last 5 years (Chesterfield, Exeter, Wycombe, Stevenage, Bury, Shrewsbury etc) is CW the man to keep us in L1 even if we get there ?

Not so much a glass half empty attitude, more an 'even if the glass is half full, we'll probably knock it off the table, smash it, and get glass in our feet' attitude?

Let's deal with the problem of League One survival when we're actually in it, perhaps?
I had a long chat last week with a mate of mine who has been a Gillingham ST holder for years - they were in the top 2 all last season and went up as champions. Only one example, maybe - but after an awful start to L1 life, they 'dealt with the problem of League One survival' by having to sack Martin Allen and recruit Peter Taylor, both at a cost.

I'm not convinced that a 'wait and see' approach is the right thing.

But it is all about opinions !
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

The poll (though it could have been better worded) is a no brainer so I’m going for the play offs. And if it helps I’ve been to 7 Finals and never seen my team lose and I’d be gutted to miss out on what has become an annual trip to Wembley. Keep the faith...