Wycombe Saturday

Anything yellow and blue
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Re: Wycombe Saturday

Post by Werthers Original »

Looks like absolutely no one went to the game! Maybe everyone was too focused on the strippers and just stayed in the pub!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I went, I thought we should have done better really especially as they were down to ten men for so long.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

The Oxford players were dropping to the ground like girls as they lived up to their reputation for cheating

Really?
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

Hog wrote:Here's a match report for you ...

http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/ ... p?a=346035
Vital Wycombe - now there's an oxymoron

Even by the standard of biased fans reviews that is a pathetic attempt at a match report
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

A-Ro wrote:I went, I thought we should have done better really especially as they were down to ten men for so long.
Are we talking about the game or the bar?

If it's the first, I'm not sure how many more than 3 points you expected the team to get? They went to ten men and then played 10-0-0 for 70 minutes hoping for the nil-nil. Great shot from Wroe though; more of that please, especially with the cross and layoff.

First league win in six attempts, not to be sniffed at?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Taking into account games in hand to get to 26 games played, the league seems to be turning into a top eight, then a gap to the rest.

Whilst it was important not to lose against Portsmouth, and to win against Wycombe, we now need to start turning draws into wins in order to cement ourselves into the play-offs, and then make a further push for the automatic promotion spots. I think though that any of the current top eight will also have that idea.

I did like the "noisy neighbours" chant at the end, and how it was put in the official match report. There's nothing like the opposition trying to big up a game and then falling flat on their faces.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

slappy wrote:Taking into account games in hand to get to 26 games played, the league seems to be turning into a top eight, then a gap to the rest.
I reckon we're looking at about 80 points for a top-3 spot this season, and around 72 for the playoffs. We're starting to look a little off the pace, so I hope the Charlton performance and the win over Wycombe mark the end of the a poor run.

On the other hand, the small spread between the top teams means that a short run of wins could have us right back in the mix - Torquay, Exeter and Wimbledon are 'must win' games if we're to be serious contenders, especially as the other teams in the Big Eight :) will be taking a few points off each other over the same time period.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

slappy wrote:Taking into account games in hand to get to 26 games played, the league seems to be turning into a top eight, then a gap to the rest.

Whilst it was important not to lose against Portsmouth, and to win against Wycombe, we now need to start turning draws into wins in order to cement ourselves into the play-offs, and then make a further push for the automatic promotion spots. I think though that any of the current top eight will also have that idea.

I did like the "noisy neighbours" chant at the end, and how it was put in the official match report. There's nothing like the opposition trying to big up a game and then falling flat on their faces.
Definitely agree with this, one of the next four MAY put a charge together at some stage, but with our games in hand, it will have to be a sustained effort to catch us. The other question is which of the eight are most likely to drop away - are Newport already in the throes of doing so? The win on Saturday certainly made our position look a lot stronger than the draw would have done.
NB One of Chesterfield and Rochdale will lose some ground tomorrow night, as they've moved their game forward from Saturday, tho Chesterfield have re-arranged a game to take its place at the weekend, so could be 6 points better off by this time next week!
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Mooro wrote:The other question is which of the eight are most likely to drop away - are Newport already in the throes of doing so?
I always like to consult http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/D3/runin.html even though with 20 games to go it's not exactly statistically useful. And from that, the answer to your question is...us unfortunately. Which is why a turnaround in home form is essential right now.