Wycombe Saturday

Anything yellow and blue
barmaidalex
Embryo

Wycombe Saturday

Post by barmaidalex »

If you're coming to Wycombe this Saturday and are looking for a pub (and some entertainment!) then we'd love to see all our old friends from Oxford at The White Horse, the 'away fans' pub. The pub will as usual have exotic dancers from around 12.30pm. Oh, and plenty of lagers and Sunderland v Southampton on TV. The White Horse is on the main A40 West Wycombe Road going west towards the ground about a mile from the town centre. Some car parking, more nearby. About 25 minutes from the ground at a brisk walk
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: Wycombe Saturday

Post by Radley Rambler »

Ah yes, the White Horse - what a hovel.

We used to live in Amersham in the late 1990s, quite close to Wycombe and would go to the White Horse when they put on excellent live music in their cracking upstairs venue - 'The Hamsters' played regular shows there.

That was then though before it became a seedy titty bar. Following our move back to sunny Oxfordshire, Mrs RR and I attended the pub prior to a Wycombe v Oxford game not knowing it had changed its USP. When Sabrina walked on stage in nothing but a pair of white cowboy boots, I thought my time was up but fortunately Mrs RR found it all quite amusing.

We then popped into the Bird in Hand next door - a little more family friendly.

I believe Hamsters may still be involved in the entertainment there........ :shock:
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Lager...'exotic' dancers that are probably paying off their passage from some war-torn country. No thanks!
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I also went in the White Horse pre-match once (many years ago) not knowing what kind of establishment it was. We sat at a table in the front window alcove, oblivious to the goings-on on the stage to the side until a naked lady came round demanding a quid from all of us for the 'entertainment' she had just performed. She wasn't best pleased when we told her we hadn't noticed it!

The pub next door had decent beer though, as I recall.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

A Bird in the Hand is worth two in the Horse.
barmaidalex
Embryo

Post by barmaidalex »

We’ve noticed that many of our regular customers come from in and around Oxford. Maybe it’s the dancers or maybe the fact that we actually do go to a bit of trouble to serve decent lager in clean glasses. We pride ourselves on being the ‘away fans’ pub and there’s always a great atmosphere here when visiting fans are in Wycombe. What more could anyone want from a pub – footie, decent beer and naked women? It doesn’t get much better than that!
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

barmaidalex wrote:We’ve noticed that many of our regular customers come from in and around Oxford. Maybe it’s the dancers or maybe the fact that we actually do go to a bit of trouble to serve decent lager in clean glasses. We pride ourselves on being the ‘away fans’ pub and there’s always a great atmosphere here when visiting fans are in Wycombe. What more could anyone want from a pub – footie, decent beer and naked women? It doesn’t get much better than that!
If you're a bit of a chav then it probably doesn't. If you've got some self-respect (and respect for others) then I beg to differ.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

You see to be under the misapprehension that all football fans are knuckle-dragging, Neanderthal morons. Maybe in Wycombe....
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Bit of a crass generalisation there JoeyBeauchamp.
You don't have to be a "knuckle dragging, Neanderthal moron" to go in the White Horse.
I am not heading there by the way, but have no problem with many others that will head there.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

SWA wrote:Bit of a crass generalisation there JoeyBeauchamp.
You don't have to be a "knuckle dragging, Neanderthal moron" to go in the White Horse.
I am not heading there by the way, but have no problem with many others that will head there.
Naked dancers? In the pub at lunchtime? In these enlightened days? I would claim you would have to be the above.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

I don't want to appear high and mighty, but barmaidalex was only trying to drum up customers in these difficult times for the pub trade !

Whether you like the pub or not, and whether you agree or disagree with the 'entertainment' on offer, you can't blame barmaidalex for trying to make the most of what is likely to be one of the better away followings at WWFC.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I wonder whether 'barmaidalex' has found her way onto www.yellowsforum.co.uk - as that will reach a fair few of our travelling support, some of whom may be interested in calling in..?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Incidentally, what happened to the statement that used to be at the front of the Forum stating what was unacceptable as a message/post? Can't seem to find it or an equivalent now.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Sideshow Rob wrote:A Bird in the Hand is worth two in the Horse.
Post of the year so far.

I also have no problem with the White Horse's management masquerading as a saucy barmaid and promoting their wares. It's just that we know (and they're finding out) they've stumbled onto the wrong forum for their target audience.

'Decent lager in clean glasses' indeed. If you haven't got half a dozen real ales and a bar billiards table, count me out...
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

I imagine most of us like football, beer, and naked ladies. But it's a bit too confusing when they're all mixed up together.