nicky wroe

Anything yellow and blue
andy james womble
Brat

nicky wroe

Post by andy james womble »

radio oxford are reporting that oufc are about to sign nicky wroe on loan from preston the player has been recalled from his loan at shrewsbury
andy james womble
Brat

Re: nicky wroe

Post by andy james womble »

he has signed
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Without trying to exaggerate too much, this could be a huge signing for Oxford and CW.

In my view this kind of player is exactly what we have needed since Bulman left. He seems to score a few goals and if he can pass and is 'box to box' he could really add to the side.

He has been in promotion winning sides (Shrewsbury came second in League 2) and has played a few for Preston. So IF he can play to his potential it must improve our chances. Let's hope he is more of a Holmes, Wright, Williams type of loanee than so many of the others.

One thing that does surprise me is why he would leave Shrewsbury where he was playing regularly to come here? I wonder if he has been promised a contract for next season if we go up?
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

The return of the mighty Asa obviously scared him off. Feels like the right signing, at the right time.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

Paul Cooper wrote:Without trying to exaggerate too much, this could be a huge signing for Oxford and CW.

In my view this kind of player is exactly what we have needed since Bulman left. He seems to score a few goals and if he can pass and is 'box to box' he could really add to the side.

He has been in promotion winning sides (Shrewsbury came second in League 2) and has played a few for Preston. So IF he can play to his potential it must improve our chances. Let's hope he is more of a Holmes, Wright, Williams type of loanee than so many of the others.

One thing that does surprise me is why he would leave Shrewsbury where he was playing regularly to come here? I wonder if he has been promised a contract for next season if we go up?
The same applies to Wilder - surely.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Certainly looks like a decent replacement for Asa Hall on paper.

What surprises me is that we have replaced Asa Hall, a player who left Us for Shrewsbury after rejecting a new contract offer and then came back to Us on loan, with Nicky Wroe, a player who left Shrewsbury for PNE after rejecting a new contract offer and then went back to Shrewsbury on loan. Is this usual behaviour?

And which club thinks they've done better out of the arrangement? Do Shrewsbury think they've got the better player back now? Or did Hall's unwanted return mean that they couldn't afford to keep Wroe on as well, freeing him up for a move to Us? And if the latter, have we been quite clever in engineering it all, or is it just one of those lucky coincidences?

Anyway, let's hope for a decent start to his OUFC career tomorrow. I assume he'll go straight into the starting line-up alongside Danny Rose?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I am confused too.
So Nicky Wroe turned down a contract from Shrewsbury to join Preston on a two year contract in May 2012, but then rejoined Shrewsbury the following season on an emergency loan on 25 October 2013. An emergency loan is for between 28 and 93 days, but this was initially for one month, and then extended to 26 January 2014. Preston then recall him (early) on the 9th January, and then put him on a standard half-season loan to us to the end of the season.

All a strange convoluted turn of events with us having a midfielder we were vaguely happy with in Asa Hall, but apparently Shrewsbury wanted a higher contribution to his salary, so he went back.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i thought he had a pretty good debut yesterday. mobile, looked to get forward more than our midfield in general has done recently, seemed to want the ball, tidy passing.