Newport away on New Years Day

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Newport away on New Years Day

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Does anyone know how ticket sales are going for this game? I saw an article on Newport's website (can't find it now) saying that they're extending the temporary stand behind the goal and hope to be able to accomodate over 1,300 away fans in total by the time we visit, but there don't seem to be any updates from OUFC's end.

I'm very keen to go and am a bit nervous of missing out, so if any ST holders on here are not planning to attend and would be happy for me to use their details to get a ticket, I'd be very grateful...
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Newport away on New Years Day

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

It's not actually a temporary stand, they're just demountable seats (ie, Newport aren't putting the extra ones in specifically for this game, there's always been a plan to make that end of the ground bigger).

I can't answer the question about how many tickets we've sold. I'm hoping to buy a load in the Oxford end myself when they go on general sale next week. But if you do find that you can't get any, drop me a line and I can get you into the home end as I'm on Newport's database! That's very much Plan B though!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Thanks to those who PM'd me about this - I've only just seen the messages and replied.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

There were still seats available in the covered away section when I rang at 9.30am - obviously we aren't selling as many as I had expected! Given that it's a bank holiday and a new ground to tick off, I'm amazed more aren't making the trip.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:There were still seats available in the covered away section when I rang at 9.30am - obviously we aren't selling as many as I had expected! Given that it's a bank holiday and a new ground to tick off, I'm amazed more aren't making the trip.
No trains are running which may put some people off.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Really? That's pretty poor, if so. There's normally a skeleton service on New Year's Day, isn't there? Oh well, not a problem for me!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I think Slappy may be getting confused with Boxing Day? Trains certainly are running on 1st Jan, and not a skeleton service either. It's well under 2 hours each way from Oxford, and I can even get back to my little Cornish station same day after the match, which is a rarity.

I think the fact that it's New Years Day is more of an issue - getting to South Wales with a hangover takes a little effort. But I reckon we'll sell some more now they're on general sale.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

That's annoying! I'd assumed the trains weren't running so have agreed to do a London pick up and return.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Well, I'd encourage people to book quickly. There aren't many of the covered seats, and it's been raining heavily in south Wales for much of the week - if it's like that on New Year's Day and you're in the main bank of seats behind the goal, you'll get soaked!

Afraid there aren't that many brilliant pubs in Newport for pre-match drinking. It's mostly Wetherspoon's and chains. Also, Gwent Police are somewhat over-zealous, so best to keep colours covered up if you do want to go exploring the various hostelries before the game without being shepherded away from town. Your other option if you're making a day of it is to go out in Cardiff in the morning/lunchtime an then get the X30 bus to Newport (takes about 30 minutes).

If you're driving, there's not much parking immediately by the ground. Best bet is to park in the multi-storey by the big shopping centre (http://www.kingswaycentre.com) for £2-3 and then walk across the footbridge over the River Usk. It's about a ten-minute walk all-told, but it's easier than trying to find an unrestricted spot by the ground itself.

If anyone wants any other information, ask away. I know the ground and its environs pretty well!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Well I've risked the uncovered seats, mainly because they're unreserved so I can get to sit (or hopefully stand at the back) with some mates rather than be on my own on the side.

Looking forward to it - my first new league ground for a while.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Staying with the in-laws in Cardiff over New Year - this was the perfect fixture for New Year's Day! Went for a covered seat though, just in case.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Enjoy. And don’t forget to take your passports... :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9uMJovuA_Y
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Hope the game is on! They've postponed today's match against Wimbledon because of a waterlogged pitch and it seems they have an ongoing problem.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-23587323
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

That's a bit alarming. The forecast is hardly set to improve over the next ten days either. Does anyone know how whether any rugby matches are scheduled to take place there before the end of the year?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

ND Dragons are at home to Cardiff Blues on Boxing Day ...