Wrexham

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Wrexham

Post by Kernow Yellow »

So, we finally have some news about player availability tonight, and it's not good. Presumably we're not expressing an interest in extending Asa Hall's loan, otherwise why on earth would Shrewsbury be playing silly buggers?

And if the winners of tonight's tie had been drawn away at Old Trafford in round 3, we might have looked a bit silly not trying to reinforce the squad temporarily to get through a tough tie at the Racecourse Ground. Anyway, no matter. I don't have a good feeling about tonight. But at least I'll be able to watch us live on telly again for the second time in five days. I'm not sure I've ever been able to say that before!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Wrexham

Post by Snake »

Frustrating that Man Utd came out of the hat in the very next ball.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Brett Ormerod and Andy Bishop available to Wrexham.

Also did you know?
Wrexham boss Andy Morrell was a former team mate of Chris Wilder at Bury.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Snake wrote:Frustrating that Man Utd came out of the hat in the very next ball.
More frustrating was the ball that followed Man United. :P *

*although I guess it's not that novel anymore.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Kernow Yellow wrote:So, we finally have some news about player availability tonight, and it's not good. Presumably we're not expressing an interest in extending Asa Hall's loan, otherwise why on earth would Shrewsbury be playing silly buggers?

And if the winners of tonight's tie had been drawn away at Old Trafford in round 3, we might have looked a bit silly not trying to reinforce the squad temporarily to get through a tough tie at the Racecourse Ground. Anyway, no matter. I don't have a good feeling about tonight. But at least I'll be able to watch us live on telly again for the second time in five days. I'm not sure I've ever been able to say that before!
I'd take a draw all day long. Get our injured players back fit for a replay. I also am quite happy with the potential 3rd round tie despite lots of people showing some dissatisfaction. It's a January day out, against higher opposition and more money into the coffers.

As for ASA Hall I am disappointed that the Shrews have put their foot down as we really needed him in the team/squad tonight. Whilst it may be as a result of us not showing an interest to extend the loan it could be that they already have his next loan/permanent move lined up and that side could still be in the competition too.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I'm not fussed about a midtable Premership side. I'd rather play one of the top 5 or 6... :lol:
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Brahma Bull wrote:I also am quite happy with the potential 3rd round tie despite lots of people showing some dissatisfaction. It's a January day out, against higher opposition and more money into the coffers.
Yes, on a personal level I'm not too unhappy. The potential of a new ground would have been nice, but I'm happy to travel anywhere that weekend to watch us play, and London is a more appetising proposition than Bury! I guess two disappointing aspects of the draw are a) that they've already dicked us 4-0 with their reserves this season; and b) that Charlton fans don't tend to turn up to watch early-round cup games, so not much money in it for Us.
Brahma Bull wrote:As for ASA Hall I am disappointed that the Shrews have put their foot down as we really needed him in the team/squad tonight. Whilst it may be as a result of us not showing an interest to extend the loan it could be that they already have his next loan/permanent move lined up and that side could still be in the competition too.
Yes, I guess I should have said that the prospect of Asa being with us after January look slim, for whatever reason. However, it seems a little odd. Shrews are out of the cup and, with all due respect to Asa, he's unlikely to be snapped up by a club with realistic ambitions of staying in the tournament beyond January. Maybe we've done something to annoy Shrewsbury?
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Brahma Bull wrote:I also am quite happy with the potential 3rd round tie despite lots of people showing some dissatisfaction. It's a January day out, against higher opposition and more money into the coffers.
Yes, on a personal level I'm not too unhappy. The potential of a new ground would have been nice, but I'm happy to travel anywhere that weekend to watch us play, and London is a more appetising proposition than Bury! I guess two disappointing aspects of the draw are a) that they've already dicked us 4-0 with their reserves this season; and b) that Charlton fans don't tend to turn up to watch early-round cup games, so not much money in it for Us.
Brahma Bull wrote:As for ASA Hall I am disappointed that the Shrews have put their foot down as we really needed him in the team/squad tonight. Whilst it may be as a result of us not showing an interest to extend the loan it could be that they already have his next loan/permanent move lined up and that side could still be in the competition too.
Yes, I guess I should have said that the prospect of Asa being with us after January look slim, for whatever reason. However, it seems a little odd. Shrews are out of the cup and, with all due respect to Asa, he's unlikely to be snapped up by a club with realistic ambitions of staying in the tournament beyond January. Maybe we've done something to annoy Shrewsbury?
Forgive me for being cynical, but could it not be Wrexham feigning/considering loaning Hall from Shrewsbury next month, and asking for him not to be cup tied.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Dirty under-handed football brinkmanship?

That scenario though is actually quite possible especially if you subscribe to the view that I think Asa Hall will be kept on until May by OUFC. Perhaps we haven't declared our mid-term intentions or refused to declare them to the Shrews, for one reason or another :arrow:
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I wasn't at the game, Jerome, so when the first text alert showed that we'd gone a goal down, I assumed that the injuries had finally done for the cup adventure this year!

So struggling Charlton, and away, hence we'll be good. There for the taking? I reckon this is a good chance to get to the fourth round for the first time since 98/99 (where we lost to Mike Reed), despite the 4-0 in the League Cup - they've been woeful since then.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Dean Saunders needs to take a long hard look at himself after his ridiculous comments last night. It was bad enough that he was so one sided throughout the whole game but his comments about that horror tackle by Clarke on Williams just made him sound like an utter fool.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Another day out in London beckons in early January as United head to Floyd Road SE7 once again.

I reckon we COULD take 2,000 to this one. I love away days in London - so much you can do
pre-match.

Let's also hope we perform better than we did at The Valley in August.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

A long drive there, and an even longer drive back, with various motorway closures, diversions, fog and roadworks to contend with.

As you will have seen the match live, not much to add really. Hunt and Mullins great in defence, Williams takes two defenders every time. Kitson perhaps goes down a little too often and doesn't get the free kicks deserved for some of the other fouls on him.

I don't want to get into the politics of how Mandela should be remembered, but I don't think football matches are the right place for a minutes applause for politicians. A few behind me were muttering "terrorist". There were two other people being commemorated, an ex-player and a long time supporter, so I'm not sure quite how you're supposed to clap if you approve of one but not the other etc.

Can we at least come up with something vaguely entertaining for songs. I don't know how much was audible on the tv, but mostly it seemed a bit embarrassing.

"Small town in Chester". very amusing. "sheepshaggers". even the Wrexham fans are bored of that and sing back that they know they are. "Robbie Savage you look like a girl.". "Robbie Savage is a w######r". "Wembley, you're having a laugh" (when Wrexham had been there as FA Trophy winners just last season).
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

slappy wrote:Can we at least come up with something vaguely entertaining for songs.
What do you suggest?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Brahma Bull wrote:
Snake wrote:Frustrating that Man Utd came out of the hat in the very next ball.
More frustrating was the ball that followed Man United. :P *

*although I guess it's not that novel anymore.
Nor cheap - http://www.swanseacity.net/news/article ... 29722.aspx -and the Swans go there again six days later in the Prem...