So Wilder 'fans', what should we do?

Anything yellow and blue
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: So Wilder 'fans', what should we do?

Post by Matt D »

anyone who wants wilder to go now is, in my humble opinion, nuts. he's delivered a table-topping side who just produced a fantastic second half performance (best i've seen from an oxford side away from home in... well, i'm sure i've seen one, but i can't think when, especially against a promotion rival) while dealing with the strictures he's been asked to work within. any change is a risk. why take it?

that said, there have been a number of reasons over the last eighteen months to make wilder interested in other options. and if he wants to explore those, even though he's under contract, it will take a lot of persuading to make him stay as i can't imagine he'll be offered a revised contract. i can't believe lenagan will ultimately view an unhappy manager at OUFC as a situation that's healthy for the club. so if wilder does want to go, my view is it's just a case of where and when.

but a lot of people seem to have missed what's actually been said by pompey. they're asking to talk to a number of managers. who's to say where wilder sits on their list? i'm sure he's seen as an extremely strong candidate, but we know compensation is an issue for pompey (yes, no doubt there are ways round this, but nonetheless, it's an issue), and there may be others who sit higher up their list of candidates.

what i do worry about is that if wilder isn't happy at OUFC, this prompts a number of other clubs to make enquiries, and while it's perhaps not pompey that we see wilder go to, he will be going.

i hope i'm wrong. from thinking that we should appoint a new manager at the end of last season, the season so far has been far better than i possibly expected.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

I said last season we'd be daft to get rid of him and my view of him has only improved. I don't buy this top of the league stuff though, ok we are but we're also 3 points from being out the play offs, being top at the moment isn't too much difference from being nearly mid table.

What I do buy though is that I think he has had his budget reduced this season, he's overhauled the squad and has proven that we are a very competitive team at this level who are in with a very good shout for at least a play off place possibly more. On that basis he should be given another year, the longer this goes on the more he is likely to look elsewhere - and who can blame him. Without resolving the managers future you risk losing your best players, Beano Wright and Clarke should be given a new contract asap, what kind of message does it send out when even our top performers are left wondering where they'll be next season.

As a club we're drifting at the moment, declining crowds, no ownership of the stadium and seemingly no work being done to tie up our best performers.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

ty cobb wrote:Without resolving the managers future you risk losing your best players, Beano Wright and Clarke should be given a new contract asap, what kind of message does it send out when even our top performers are left wondering where they'll be next season.
On the 2nd December, I'd be absolutely amazed if any of our players (top performers or not) have given even a moments thought to next season. In fact, I'd be disappointed if they have.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I would be amazed if Lenagan hadn't asked Wilder if he wants to go, and based his response to Pompey on that.

If Wilder gets us promoted this season, then he is in a strong position to negotiate a much improved contract with us, or take his pick of jobs available in the summer at least in the bottom two divisions and possibly some clubs in the Championship.

If Wilder fails to get us promoted, I doubt he will be with us next season.

So Wilder's view may well be persuaded by his confidence in the squad.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Myles Francis wrote:
ty cobb wrote:Without resolving the managers future you risk losing your best players, Beano Wright and Clarke should be given a new contract asap, what kind of message does it send out when even our top performers are left wondering where they'll be next season.
On the 2nd December, I'd be absolutely amazed if any of our players (top performers or not) have given even a moments thought to next season. In fact, I'd be disappointed if they have.
Interesting to see The Secret Footballer's take on this http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/arti ... -slackers/
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Myles Francis wrote:On the 2nd December, I'd be absolutely amazed if any of our players (top performers or not) have given even a moments thought to next season. In fact, I'd be disappointed if they have.
Really? In my boring humdrum office job, if my contract ran out in six months' time, I'd want to know about my future - and if reassurances weren't forthcoming, I'd be looking through the Situations Vacant elsewhere so I knew the mortgage would be getting paid. I doubt lower-league footballers are any different.

Regarding Wilder, the situation seems to have moved on following the release of today's club statement. I can't see him staying now - a pity, as it will cause short-term disruption at the very least.

As for who we might get in, my first choice would be Justin Edinburgh following the fantastic job he's done at Newport County - but their board seem to mean it when they refuse their manager permission to speak to other clubs. My only hope would be that we run a proper selection process again (as we did when we brought in Wilder); there seems no reason to think we'd do anything different.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Sorry Myles but you're wrong.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... rd_United/

Worrying update today, my guess would be Wilder wanted to go and talk. This may well be a tactic to try and strengthen his hand with regard to bringing in a player/better contract, but he may also think a significant number of the fanbase seem to have turned against me and I'm out of a job in a few months do I need this hassle considering the job I've done.

By granting permission I wonder if this is IL saying I'm not changing my position you have a contract till the end of the season, we'll assess then and you're not having any more loan players.

I will be gutted if he goes but if he does I will be very grateful for the job he has done here and will wish him well for the future and I feel it will be a reasonable decision for him to go.

I just hope he doesn't take players with him in Jan - those out of contract can sign a pre contract with other clubs then can't they so I imagine discussions would happen at least.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

The timing of him potentially going is really not very good.

But as others have speculated, his contract is up at the end of the season and so you can't blame for him looking especially as a minority of the supporters are vociferously against him.

I wonder why he would go to Portsmouth if his family did leave to move back up North before the season began. Pompey could well be in a relegation fight (although I have no doubts that CW would turn this round)

It is only if he went up a league or two that I would have any worry about him trying to get Wright and Clarke to go with him (Wright has made it clear that he wants to play at a higher level so no way would he go to Pompey I would have thought).
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

The choice has been made........apparently...!

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... -1-5733141
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

Kernow Yellow wrote:we're top of the league with the best goal difference, fewest goals conceded, second most goals scored etc etc. Wilder's squad (and they pretty much all are his players) are showing real fight and togetherness, and I'd be amazed if the manager leaving brought about anything but a decline in on-field performances. We've finally put ourselves in with a real shout of challenging for promotion
With the threat of the manager leaving quashed for now, the above position has been strengthened further by another deserved [home] win. Yet the feeling that something is clearly amiss remains, as evidenced by the fact that there has not been a single post on here about the Dagenham result!