Youth Unemployment

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Youth Unemployment

Post by Radley Rambler »

If I was Tyrone Marsh, I would be wondering about my long-term prospects.

3-0 up at home after 31 minutes, main striker on a booking and he gets.....2 minutes on the pitch.

What harm was there in putting Tyrone on from about the 60th minute? Give him some experience in a game that we had already won, how else is he going to develop?
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re: Youth Unemployment

Post by Paul Cooper »

He doesn't seem to be making the breakthrough that I suspect we had all hoped for.

I believe that he has only scored 1 goal in the Development matches and as the OP suggested if he isn't brought on earlier in a game virtually won, then one can only assume that he is not rated particularly highly by the management.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

I think his card was marked when he went out on loan to Staines last year.

When was the last time (if ever) a United player has returned from a loan spell and become a success?

He'll probably go the way of Fisher and one or two others and land up at City or Brackley.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Dartford Ox wrote:I think his card was marked when he went out on loan to Staines last year.

When was the last time (if ever) a United player has returned from a loan spell and become a success?

He'll probably go the way of Fisher and one or two others and land up at City or Brackley.
I assume you mean a success at Oxford United? That’s a really tricky question even for the Rage Online community.....

I’ll start with Joseph Beauchamp with 5 appearances and two goals while on loan in 1991.
Last edited by Snake on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I have to say that it is NOT a good thing to have quite so many injuries to key members of the squad. However, how utterly refreshing it is that CW hasn't been allowed to dip into the loan market to paper over the cracks which the inevitable injuries bring, with some lower league work horses. Yes, TM hasn't had a chance, but equally, the whole squad is being used at the moment, and who is to say that TM won't get a 45 mins or 30 mins or even 10 tomorrow against NCFC. We have A LOT of games coming up. Now is not the time to be throwing players on for 15 mins when they could be needed for 45 or more in the next 10 - 30 days.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

Snake wrote:
Dartford Ox wrote:I think his card was marked when he went out on loan to Staines last year.

I assume you mean a success at Oxford United? That’s a really tricky question even for the Rage Online community.....

I’ll start with Joseph Beauchamp with 5 appearances and two goals while on loan in 1991.
OK - so I over-egged it a bit. I was actually thinking this century.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Paul Cooper wrote:He doesn't seem to be making the breakthrough that I suspect we had all hoped for.

I believe that he has only scored 1 goal in the Development matches and as the OP suggested if he isn't brought on earlier in a game virtually won, then one can only assume that he is not rated particularly highly by the management.
I seem to recall reading in Saturday's programme that the Development Squad has only just played its first fixture...not that they are represented on the club website (as far as I can tell) to confirm this. I do agree with the general sentiment, though. The same thought crossed my mind when he was eventually brought on.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Dartford Ox wrote:
Snake wrote:

OK - so I over-egged it a bit. I was actually thinking this century.
You clearly want to make a difficult question even more tricky. Maybe it would be better to focus on even more current times and narrow the question down to who Wilder has sent out on loan and come back to be a success?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Has Wilder sent anyone bar Chapman out on loan, excluding the youngsters?
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Dr Bob wrote:I seem to recall reading in Saturday's programme that the Development Squad has only just played its first fixture...not that they are represented on the club website (as far as I can tell) to confirm this. I do agree with the general sentiment, though. The same thought crossed my mind when he was eventually brought on.
I think that they have player 5-6 games to date (there have been reports on the club site). marsh I believe scored in the last one- his only goal to date. I think that Roberts may have scored more, but could be wrong on that.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

slappy wrote:Has Wilder sent anyone bar Chapman out on loan, excluding the youngsters?
John Paul Pittman - because he wasn't putting the effort in in training. At least that was the official reason. I recall Sam Deering being loaned to Barnet before he signed for them.

As a matter of interest why do we talk of 'bringing players in on loan'? Surely it would be more grammatically accurate and easier to say 'borrow a player'?
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

That theory doesn't really add up though, because Marsh was offered (and signed) a new two year contract this summer - ie a couple of months after he returned from his loan spell. So the club obviously still had belief in him to progress since then.

Regarding Saturday, could it be that Wilder didn't want to make changes earlier in case he needed to replace eg a defender who was injured (or in danger of becoming so) later in the game? John Mullins certainly doesn't make it sound as if Ty or any other youngsters are being frozen out:

"We have a lot of faith in younger guys who can come in, Josh Ruffles, Callum O'Dowda, Tyrone Marsh, Matt Bevans, to name but a few," he added. They've got real quality which we see everyday in training and if they have to come in we know they'll do a good job and work their socks off. We're a tight-knit bunch and we'll help them on their way just as they will help us with their enthusiasm and youthfulness.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Kernow Yellow wrote:

That theory doesn't really add up though, because Marsh was offered (and signed) a new two year contract this summer - ie a couple of months after he returned from his loan spell. So the club obviously still had belief in him to progress since then.

Regarding Saturday, could it be that Wilder didn't want to make changes earlier in case he needed to replace eg a defender who was injured (or in danger of becoming so) later in the game? John Mullins certainly doesn't make it sound as if Ty or any other youngsters are being frozen out:

"We have a lot of faith in younger guys who can come in, Josh Ruffles, Callum O'Dowda, Tyrone Marsh, Matt Bevans, to name but a few," he added. They've got real quality which we see everyday in training and if they have to come in we know they'll do a good job and work their socks off. We're a tight-knit bunch and we'll help them on their way just as they will help us with their enthusiasm and youthfulness.
I seriously think that Wilder built his squad in the summer expecting to actively use Marsh as the fourth striker. However, he didn't really shine during pre-season and has not been prolific in the Devs (1 goal in 7 games), so it does appear to me that Wilder has perhaps revised his opinion - hopefully only temporarily - as he has used both Potter and Hall ahead of him. It doesn't necessarily mean it is all over for him, but there will come a point by which he needs to be doing things to put himself back into the manager's thoughts.

The point of the Dev squad is to give the youngsters chance to develop after leaving the U18s, which is a fantastic development for the club, but the flipside, which perhaps often gets overlooked is what happens when that development slows or doesn't come at all?
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

I see James Roberts scored his 16th goal of the season for the youth tonight. How long before he leap-frogs Marsh in the pecking order. Not too long I suggest - but that is just a gut feeling.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Dartford Ox wrote:I see James Roberts scored his 16th goal of the season for the youth tonight. How long before he leap-frogs Marsh in the pecking order. Not too long I suggest - but that is just a gut feeling.
Agree on that one. Just because Marsh is a member of the Development squad he still has to perform to justify any chances he may get. If Roberts is deemed to be good enough there is no reason why he shouldn't leapfrog Marsh.

The only thing that contradicts that a little is that Roberts has not had that much game time for the development Squad which means that most of his games have been against U18s and not hardened Centre backs in League 2.