Front 4 for Saturday

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Front 4 for Saturday

Post by Mooro »

If we assume that the keeper, back four and central midfield pairing remain the same as last week, that leaves four positions to fill (two strikers and two wide midfielders).
If we then assume that Kitson is fit, Smalley half-fit, Beano out and Rigg improving with an outside chance of being involved, who would you want to see start in those four positions (and what subs would you plan to introduce accordingly)?

i) Kitson & Potter up top, Hall left and Davies right?
ii) Kitson & Smalley, Hall left, Potter right?
iii) Kitson & Potter, Hall left, Williams right?
iv) Kitson & Marsh, Hall left, Potter right?
v) Any of the above with COD instead of Hall?
vi) Any of the above with Rigg instead of Hall?

For me, four CMs across the middle puts too much pressure on Potter to create and strike, so (i) is out, I'd prefer to rest Smalley as much as possible, so wouldn't want him starting, so (ii) is out, if there is any doubt at all that Rigg is not ready then I would not even consider (vi), and I'm coming to the conclusion that our best chance of seeing COD is as a sub FOR Rigg, so not (v) either.
That leaves (iii) or (iv). Starting with (iii) takes some of the pressure off Potter, with Williams sharing the creative mantle, or should Alfie be allowed to do what he does best, even if that means throwing Marsh in from the start, (iv)? Both would have the option of bringing Smalley on, both would have the option of reverting from one to the other. Or, is it better to start with Smalley after all and keep Potter wide, but in the knowledge that DS might have to come off at any stage, meaning (iii) or (iv) anyway, perhaps from quite early on?
Who'd be a manager eh? (A - anyone with a keyboard)
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re: Front 4 for Saturday

Post by Paul Cooper »

I would go ii) to start with if Smalley is fit enough to be in the squad (start or on the bench).

if he can't then iii)

I agree totally that it shouldn't be 1) but I have a horrible feeling ....

As you suggest though who would be a manager.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Our best four is Rigg, Kitson, Smalley or Beano, and Potter.

I fear on Saturday, with Wilder's history of playing against top-of-the-table teams, we will play Kitson alone upfront, with Potter nominally supporting him, and a "solid" block of four CMs behind him, ie Rose, Hall, Davies and Whing.

My guess is that he's settled for a point already, but of course I'd love to be proved wrong.

------

PS Can you imagine use ever doing this? http://www.theguardian.com/football/vid ... NETTXT8115

No? Nor me.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Potter does not play well when more central. Hall is not a winger. Given that Beano is out and Deano is doubtful, I suspect that as Dan says, CW will be cautious. If that is the case, with the four players from option iii I would prefer Potter and Williams wide left and right, with Hall just behind Kitson but looking to run through for knock-downs and lay-offs. Given the expected caution, though, I fear that as well as playing Potter and Hall out of position, Davies will be preferred to Williams.

And of course, it is highly unlikely that I shall be proved wrong because my preference is unlikely to be the one chosen...to paraphrase the old saying, in CW we have to trust...
Eric Pollard
Brat

Post by Eric Pollard »

YF Dan wrote:Our best four is Rigg, Kitson, Smalley or Beano, and Potter.

I fear on Saturday, with Wilder's history of playing against top-of-the-table teams, we will play Kitson alone upfront, with Potter nominally supporting him, and a "solid" block of four CMs behind him, ie Rose, Hall, Davies and Whing.

My guess is that he's settled for a point already, but of course I'd love to be proved wrong.

------

PS Can you imagine use ever doing this? http://www.theguardian.com/football/vid ... NETTXT8115

No? Nor me.

I hate these snarky attacks on my employee, one of the best young managers in the whole of the league. I will set my henchman , Methven, on you if I ever find out who you are 'YF Dan'.

Chris Wilder always plays to win. Potter, Kitson, Hall, Williams for me. But hey I'm just the owner.

'Oop the Warriors' !
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Like Dr Bob's suggestion of Hall in just behind, as a withdrawn/second striker with two wingers (could switch sides with Potter and Williams) and a sole striker (Kitson by elimination this week, though think Smalley would suit this formation if Kitson and Constable were both unavailable in the future).

Much depends on how fit Smalley is. If fit, ii) is likely favourite. It would be consistent and not use Development Squad players from the start.

Noticed Marsh only did 60 minutes yesterday for Development Squad v Luton.

Please not i) again!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Here's a revolutionary idea: why don't we play two strikers up front and two wingers on the wings.

I know what you're thinking: "Recordmeister is either a mad man or a genius."

Well, what can I say... other than cross me, and you'll wake up with an Ox's head in your bed.

For me: Kitson & Smalley / Potter & Williams.

It's hardly cooking pure, blue crystal meth, is it?
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

recordmeister wrote:Here's a revolutionary idea: why don't we play two strikers up front and two wingers on the wings.

Well, what can I say... other than cross me, and you'll wake up with an Ox's head in your bed.

Taking this on a complete tangent and with a promise of no spoilers, but given your final line you are obviously a fan. Have you seen Sundays episode (14) "Ozymandias" yet. WOW f*cking WOW. Critics are asking "Is Breaking Bad Ozymandias the single greatest episode of television ever made?" And I tell you what, It's gotta be close.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

recordmeister wrote:Here's a revolutionary idea: why don't we play two strikers up front and two wingers on the wings.

That would also be my choice if Smalley is fit. It not, see my earlier post...
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

It seems few teams set up with an attacking 4-4-2 shape these
days with two, pure out and out, chalk hugging widemen.

It seems teams want to play five in midfield and one striker
or a variation on that theme. Chesterfield will play a very fluid
midfield shape with lots of inter-changing. If we lose out in
midfield how do we get our wingers involved?

It's not easy!
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

How did this turn into a discussion on Breaking Bad!?!

It should be Kitson,Smalley, Potter and Williams
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

SWA wrote:How did this turn into a discussion on Breaking Bad!?!

It should be Kitson,Smalley, Potter and Williams
That would be my fault and I did state that it was a complete tangent. Was merely following on from a comment made by Recordmeister.

But bringing it back to topic I actually agree it should be Kitson, Smalley, Potter and Walter White sorry Williams!!
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

I would start with Williams, Hall, Kitson, Potter. Ideally I would prefer Smalley to Hall but would start DS on the bench for two reasons. 1. He is not 100% fit so depending on the match position he could be introduced later rather than sooner. 2. It would give us an experienced striker to bring on and hold up the ball if necessary.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Apparently Rigg is back for the weekend but Marsh is injured. So if you'd all like to start again ...
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

"I'm gonna leave it to the professional football manager, I think he knows the game better than me" - said no football fan ever.