Homophobia

Anything yellow and blue
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Homophobia

Post by joepoolman »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:RecordMeister - a considered post, but with respect I think you've missed the point slightly.

No-one is suggesting positive discrimination - but I think if OUFC has a gay player (which is statistically likely), they'll be far less likely to feel comfortable in coming out because of the sorts of attitudes discussed above. And that's a shame - why should anyone feel they have to hide an element of their character over which they have no control?
Maybe there is and Oxford player that is gay, and whose friends and family and teammates are aware that he's gay but he just doesn't feel it's necessary for the public to know. To be honest I think an openly gay player wouldn't get particularly bad abuse I think what would put me off is that you wouldn't be thought of as a flying winger or solid centre half but as "the gay footballer". I agree however that it is very sad that there is almost certainly several gay pro footballers that must feel they have to his their sexuality or partner.
tomoufc
Dashing young thing

Post by tomoufc »

Interesting that the CPS want to (or want to be seen to?) take the issue more seriously.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... ooliganism

But lumping in the use of flares and pitch invasions rather clouds the issue, and plays into the idea that those who want to stamp out homophobia prefer a kind of steralised risk-free atmosphere, which I don't think actually stands up to reality. No doubt the police would prefer this, as they could dedicate less resources to football in general.
&quotI've been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job. &quot
tts back

Post by tts back »

Oh give it up Tom and come out ffs :roll:
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

tomoufc wrote: Do you think that a Football v. Homophobia campaign would be successful or worthwhile at the club? Does anyone know if anything like this has been mooted before?
Well, not specifically OUFC-related, but it seems the issue is being addressed in the football world at large:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... homophobia

And the driving force behind it is coming, rather surprisingly, from the bookmaker Paddy Power.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/s ... NETTXT3487
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

All clubs have been sent the rainbow laces and it appears our lads will be supporting the campaign, which is great news.

Deane Smalley has posted a picture on twitter of his boots for the weekend, laced up. They certainly stand out in this day of bizarre coloured football boots.

I think this simple idea could have a massive impact. I bet kids all over the country may not only be educated in this topic by direct result of seeing these colourful laces but will probably seek mum and dad to go out and buy them for their own colourful sunday morning boots.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Brahma Bull wrote:I think this simple idea could have a massive impact. I bet kids all over the country may not only be educated in this topic by direct result of seeing these colourful laces but will probably seek mum and dad to go out and buy them for their own colourful sunday morning boots.
It could be a bit like the Nike black & white anti-racism wristbands a few years ago (similar to the Livestrong ones) when they became the latest football fashion accessory for a time.
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Post by Brahma Bull »

Yes I think you are right. I have one of those Black/White wristbands and I went out of my way to find some. There is something about this campaign which strikes a chord, its colourful, its an accessory (which by association makes people aware of the meaning behind it) and if it takes off, which I think it will, then the simple, cost-effective message could have done more than most football clubs have attempted in years.

Talking about Smalley, Joesph Barton was the first player to endorse this and show off his boots on Twitt-or on Monday.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Great idea - may cause a few awkward parent/young child conversations around the country though

I wonder how many players will continue wearing them after the weekend?
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Mooro wrote:Great idea - may cause a few awkward parent/young child conversations around the country though
Why?
BigCrompy
Puberty

Post by BigCrompy »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Mooro wrote:Great idea - may cause a few awkward parent/young child conversations around the country though
Why?
For exactly the reason these laces have been created; because homophobia exists. And some of those parents that Mooro refers to, will be homophobic, and have preconceived (and incorrect) ideas about homosexuality. To many, it may still be matter of taboo and discomfort.

I don't think Mooro was trying to vindicate or justify that attitude, and neither will I (homophobia, as much as racism, frankly offends me) but I think he was merely stating a fact.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Why?
I was actually thinking in terms of those children who are not even aware of heterosexuality, let alone homosexuality, who suddenly come out with "Daddy, what is homophobia?" just as the game enters the crucial last ten minutes......rather than the older children BC refers to, who probably know more about the whole subject than their parents do..
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Looks like this campaign ran into a bit of trouble for a number of reasons, including the rather crass strapline used, the apparent short notice given to clubs, and the fact that it was largely instigated by betting firm Paddy Power (which led certain clubs to experience "issues in respect of associated third-party commercial entities").

Did any of our players wear the laces on Saturday? If so, was any mention made of why they were doing so? Was there anything in the programme?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Personally, I think the response of some of the clubs in particular was a bit crap to say the least.
Maybe the campaign wasn't launched or handled in the best way, but why not go along with it this time and advise improvements for future re-runs, rather than dismiss the whole idea - that gives out a far worse message than any dodgy strapline.....
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

A shame.

It sounded a good idea, but sounds like it was all arranged/ managed pretty poorly.
tts back

Post by tts back »

theox wrote:
Brahma Bull wrote:I think this simple idea could have a massive impact. I bet kids all over the country may not only be educated in this topic by direct result of seeing these colourful laces but will probably seek mum and dad to go out and buy them for their own colourful sunday morning boots.
It could be a bit like the Nike black & white anti-racism wristbands a few years ago (similar to the Livestrong ones) when they became the latest football fashion accessory for a time.

Ahhhhh!!! the anti racism wristbands :) i made a shedload of ££££££ reselling them on fleabay,they cost £1.50 i think and i got £16 for one....i sold at least 80 of em.......shame they were a fecker to get hold of.....don't think the laces will be the same so .......I'M OUT!!!! (pardon the pun) :wink: