Pre Bury Pub Crawl

Anything yellow and blue
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Pre Bury Pub Crawl

Post by Yankee Clipper »

Am staying down after the Bury game and was only able to get a Hotel in Wheatley as all City Centre ones were either full or a ridiculous price. So dropping the car off in Wheatley at 12 have planned this pub crawl to ground (will obviously require taxis between venue's unlike KY's foot weary meanderings post Portsmouth)

Anyway observations and advice on pubs chosen please....

1) The Kings Arms - Wheatley
2) The Cricketers - Littleworth
3) The Three Horseshoes - Garsington
4) The Mole - Toot Baldon (just have to go to both a pub called The Mole and a village called Toot Baldon)
5) The Catherine Wheel - Sandford (I know this one)

Anyone want to join us feel free to be in The Kings Arms at 12.............
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Pre Bury Pub Crawl

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Yankee Clipper wrote:Am staying down after the Bury game and was only able to get a Hotel in Wheatley as all City Centre ones were either full or a ridiculous price. So dropping the car off in Wheatley at 12 have planned this pub crawl to ground (will obviously require taxis between venue's unlike KY's foot weary meanderings post Portsmouth)

Anyway observations and advice on pubs chosen please....

1) The Kings Arms - Wheatley
2) The Cricketers - Littleworth
3) The Three Horseshoes - Garsington
4) The Mole - Toot Baldon (just have to go to both a pub called The Mole and a village called Toot Baldon)
5) The Catherine Wheel - Sandford (I know this one)

Anyone want to join us feel free to be in The Kings Arms at 12.............
Taxis? You'll need a bloody time machine to get through that lot before kick-off!

I've lost your number, so can you DM me with it (or text if you've got mine)? I might be around on Saturday...
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

The Three Horse Shoes, Garsington, was closed for refurb. I believe it still is. Toot Baldon is too far out of the way. Best bet is to take in a few of the Wheatley taverns, of which there are a few within walking distance, before getting a taxi over to the Catherine Wheel (or, George in Littlemore)
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Are you staying in the Travelodge? Also, Mole is too far out of the way and is a gastro pub anyway, the Saturday football crowd is not the clientele you will find in there. Very nice food and real ale there though :)
King and Queen in Wheatley is good and the Railway do a cracking pint of London Pride. Just stay in Wheatley then cab it to the ground.
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

Thanks for the input...

Mr Silver has already poo pooed the suggestion and he is probably right...

A few in Wheatley then on to The Catherine Wheel it is then...

See you Saturday... COYY
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

I believe that Tim from the Priory is helping Barry in the Wheel this Saturday and they are trying to restart the old Priory vibe in the Wheel - so it may be a bit crowded there.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

last time I was in the Catherine Wheel pre-match it was full of old codgers sat at the bar so you couldn't get to the bar or see what beer/lager was on. and the grumpy landlord served the regulars in priority. hopefully Tim will educate him as to customer service.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Barry is the archetypal old dog, I doubt he'll be up for learning any new tricks any time soon.
andy james womble
Brat

Post by andy james womble »

understand the Catherine wheel is on the market so perhaps things could be moving on ?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

It's been on the market for a couple of years now, I wouldn't bank on it being a pub for long after it is sold either, he is selling it with planning permission.