Alloa Athletic

Anything yellow and blue
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Alloa Athletic

Post by Roo »

Isn't it customary even in Scotland for the host and the guests to turn up on the SAME day?

http://www.alloaathletic.co.uk/BlogView ... =880&mid=2

And

http://mobile.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0 ... 3630000000

Oh, and we 're called The Ox's now.......has the new OCFC chairman taken over OUFC too?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re: Alloa Athletic

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I think I trust the OUFC version of events. The Scottish one was written by someone who thinks this sentence is acceptable English:

"Oxford United are currently managed by Chris Wilder, who after guided "The Ox's" back in the Football League after they were relegated to the Conference League in 2006, Chris Wilder took over in 2007 and won promotion back to the Football League by winning the Conference Play Off Final in 2010 beating York City 3-1, last Season 2012/13 Oxford United finished 9th in Division Two."
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

I see that the Alloa Athletic website now as it as July 10th........after a "change of date" for the fixture!? Chinny Reckon? :lol:
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Oxford United FC ‏@OUFClive

#oufc looking at arranging flights for fans from Kidlington to Edinburgh. Please let us know if you're interested in booking a flight.
----------------------------------------------
No idea about days / times / prices. I've already booked on Easyjet.
andy james womble
Brat

Post by andy james womble »

I'm flying up Tuesday coming back Thursday then getting a lift up Saturday coming back from Berwick sunday.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

andy james womble wrote:I'm flying up Tuesday coming back Thursday then getting a lift up Saturday coming back from Berwick sunday.
Womble you are truly ferking mad! But well done, wish I was coming with you!
Yankee Clipper
Puberty

Post by Yankee Clipper »

Myself and Mr Silver will be making the Berwick trip and staying over
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Did any of you fellas go to that Isle of Man football pre-season tournament
in 1989. I'm sure Oxford played and lost to Motherwell?

Those Isle of Man tournaments ran for several years,
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Alloa
What a bunch of jobsworth stewards. Their ground is astroturf, two stands, a terrace, and a cinders terrace. First half we were stood behind the goal that Oxford were attacking, and a steward comes up to us and asks us to move to the "away end". This was with perhaps 200 fans total, around 30 Oxford if lucky, and a couple of home fans next to us.

Next thing, a friend gets asked if he is filming the game, and when he said he wasn't, was asked if he was taking pictures, and was ordered not to take any more.

Second half, we moved to the cinders terrace behind the goal, and then I was asked not to take any pictures. I would note that the steward had an Alloa fan next to him, not that he was threatened with ejection for being in the wrong end.

Berwick
What a difference. Their ground has a speedway track around it, a first for me. We went behind to a quick goal, and the first half was pretty disappointing, we never looked threatening. Second half, our defence looked solid. Michael Raynes is looking confident and assured. David Hunt too. We had a stonewall penalty turned down, and then Asa Hall was fouled, and scored a magnificent penalty to send us level. Minutes later, Sean Rigg fired a 30 yarder volley in. Callum O'Dowda played most of the game and looked very promising, Ty Marsh came on and looked threatening. Perhaps most noteworthy was 90 minutes from Ryan Clarke, including a fingertip over the bar save. I had worried he might be still recovering from his ops, but this saw him back to his best.

After the game, we went upstairs, where the Berwick board were most accomodating and friendly, showing us around the trophy room, and my friends were shown the whole ground and changing rooms. It was a shame I didn't know before that the Black and Gold pub is not owned by the club, or I wouldn't have spent my money there.

Also was a shame that some idiot fan had bought a wooden rattle from the football exhibition at the Kelvingrove, and insisted on rattling it every so often!

Overall, I wasn't expecting such a hot pre-season. But apart from the injured triallist, we got through OK, still playing at around 75% I think so hard to judge.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

wheelchair friendly facilities at Berwick by Mark Gelder, on Flickr

Wheelchair access to the loos at Berwick. Spot the problem.
andy james womble
Brat

Post by andy james womble »

Must agree slappy that fan with the rattle was most annoying :lol:
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Preparing you for the dipstick with the bell at Pompey?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/foot ... er-2041741
Rene Howe was in talks with Hibs. Perhaps this explains the missing manager at Berwick.

(EDIT) - just seen he has signed for Burton (as already posted elsewhere on here).
Last edited by slappy on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.