New Players?

Anything yellow and blue
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

New Players?

Post by theox »

A new thread for any reported rumours of new players.

I can start with Jon Meades who has been made an 'unbelievable offer' to be our new left back.......

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/ ... s/10429561._/
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re: New Players?

Post by Mooro »

Those 'in the know' on the other side have us in for Rene Howe and Paul Benson (and loads of others, but these are the two most persistent).
Still to be confirmed anywhere officially, but one of the two triallists from Reading's development squad, Josh Shama, has tweeted his delight at signing for us, amidst congratulations from various members of our youth setup, so there is something there, but not clear whether that is primarily for the senior squad or initially just the Dev squad. No similar tweets from the other triallist - right back Bismark Amofah - but that is not to say he hasn't or won't be offered anything.....
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

I've always liked Rene Howe....
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotJoeyBeauchamp&quot wrote:I've always liked Rene Howe....
I thought he looked rubbish when we played at Torquay a couple of months ago. But that was only one game I suppose.

I wonder why OUFC haven't confirmed Scott Davies' signing when it's been widely reported as fact elsewhere?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I've always like Benson. As for Jon Meades: excellent, excellent signing if true. I saw him play couple of times at AFC last season, inc in their final game where I witnessed supporters begging him to stay, as he headed back home with his mum and dad and missus, in the post-match celebrations in the car park.

A quote from N Ardley: &quotWhen you're up against teams that can pay a left back what we pay our whole squad, it's not easy.&quot
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

If Swinedown are getting rid of Benson to cut their wage bill, I don't see how we could afford him.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

You're more intelligent than that GY.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:
A quote from N Ardley: &quotWhen you're up against teams that can pay a left back what we pay our whole squad, it's not easy.&quot
I can't find it now but I thought I read Ardley as saying words to the effect that the other club (OUFC?) could pay a left back more than any one player in his whole squad (rather than his actual whole squad) which I took to imply that left backs generally aren't considered a priority in the budget and that he was being offered more than AFCW would pay, say, a top-scoring forward or influential playmaker. Besides, AFCW must pay their whole squad at least 8-10k a week?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:
I can't find it now but I thought I read Ardley as saying words to the effect that the other club (OUFC?) could pay a left back more than any one player in his whole squad (rather than his actual whole squad) which I took to imply that left backs generally aren't considered a priority in the budget and that he was being offered more than AFCW would pay, say, a top-scoring forward or influential playmaker. Besides, AFCW must pay their whole squad at least 8-10k a week?
Hog is right, recordmeister has misquoted Ardley. The correct quote, which is in the Bournemouth Echo article linked to in the OP, is:

“When there are clubs out there who are willing to pay a left-back more than anyone in our whole squad, it is difficult for us to sign them.&quot
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Post by Out of the gloom »

Given the news today from the OM, though not confirmed by the club, with Davies and now Smalley staying, thought I would profile what (not who) new players are expected.

Priorities: a left footed CM and a big CF.
This is where the time and money is going. Whilst the term marquee signing can be pejorative. There can be no avoiding the need for these players to be of established quality and have some name recognition. Securing one sooner rather than later will also boost season ticket sales.

Defensive replacements: a RB, LB and CB.
Alongside Wright they will form next seasons backline. The experience lost is to be replaced with robustness. Solid if not spectacular. Understandably this is why O'Brien remains an option.

Development squad: right footed winger/striker, RB and CM.
Joining Crocombe, Marsh, Long, Lynn and O'Dowda in this initiative. Under 20 years old with little, if any, first team experience. Likely to be local and released from Premiership or Championship clubs. Two Reading youngsters have already been named in another thread.

For those that can count, this is one short of the suggested nine. Chiefly this is because I consider four strikers to be sufficient, assuming you sign the right ones. Additionally there is the youth team to consider, with Roberts having been involved this season and, by my reckoning, at least one more scholar required as they only have three defenders confirmed. Further, it just seems prudent to keep some budget in reserve.

Finally it would be nice to start hearing from the club.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotOut of the gloom&quot wrote: Two Reading youngsters have already been named in another thread.
On this point, I'll try to update that thread soon with some of the info I've garnered on the other side, but in terms of this thread, Josh Shama, who I think will fit the winger/striker berth you refer to, has announced on his twitter page that he has signed for OUFC, though no actual details of what sort of contract. No similar comments on Amofah's twitter account, but that in itself does not mean he is not coming.....

Would indeed be good to hear from the club, but I suppose Mr Williams can only post what he is told he can....
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Are we allowed rumours on here?

If so I heard that we had signed Matt Tubbs, I have no reason to think it might be true and isn't he a bit old anyway?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Mooro wrote:
Out of the gloom wrote: Two Reading youngsters have already been named in another thread.
On this point, I'll try to update that thread soon with some of the info I've garnered on the other side, but in terms of this thread, Josh Shama, who I think will fit the winger/striker berth you refer to, has announced on his twitter page that he has signed for OUFC, though no actual details of what sort of contract. No similar comments on Amofah's twitter account, but that in itself does not mean he is not coming.....

Would indeed be good to hear from the club, but I suppose Mr Williams can only post what he is told he can....
I think Shama has been offered a development contract rather than a full one (not sure he has actually put pen to paper yet), so probably best to look at him as one for the longer term (as with OD, Long & Lynn) rather than having an instant impact. Still no other news regarding other Devsquad signings or additions to the youth squad for the coming season, but I will post them up when they appear....
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

A-Ro wrote:Are we allowed rumours on here?

If so I heard that we had signed Matt Tubbs, I have no reason to think it might be true and isn't he a bit old anyway?
If 28 is described as old for a footballer, I'd love to know where 39 year old Kevin Phillips is on the scale.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

My understanding is that attacking midfielder Shama
has agreed a deal to join Oxford. He's a very technical player
that plays in the hole behind the striker(s)

The other fella Bismark Amofah will probably do his pre-season at Reading
but has had a couple of good offers from other clubs as well as United.