New Players?

Anything yellow and blue
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: New Players?

Post by Dr Bob »

Can't imagine cutting down on the number of letters to be put on the back of shirts is going to make much of a dent in the club's debt. Come on Lenagan - put your hand in your pocket for a few multi-syllabic monikers.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

Dr Bob wrote:Can't imagine cutting down on the number of letters to be put on the back of shirts is going to make much of a dent in the club's debt. Come on Lenagan - put your hand in your pocket for a few multi-syllabic monikers.
Back in the 70's Palace were known as the team with long names. Paul & Martin Hinshelwood, Dave Swindlehurst, a Robinson and a Nicholas to name but a few. Their club shop must have made a fortune if shirt names were sold by the letter.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

http://www.oufc.co.uk/news/article/0014 ... 66393.aspx

Another one for the DevSquad.
Stood out in exit trials at the end of the season. I would expect to see more picked up from those sessions and/or additional trials set up during pre-season.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Sky have latched on to the Kennedy rumours

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8780542/?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Mumblings on the other side that he is in for a medical today, so maybe more than just sky being two weeks behind everyone else.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

Mooro wrote:Mumblings on the other side that he is in for a medical today, so maybe more than just sky being two weeks behind everyone else.
A medical that might not have gone all that well

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22781991
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Anybody else heard a rumour about Dave Kitson?

It could be my brother just winding me up.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

A-Ro wrote:Anybody else heard a rumour about Dave Kitson?

I've read it a few times on twitter, but surely he's too expensive, this is a guy that was bought for £5.5m 5 years ago, and was probably on at least £15,000 a week until 3 years ago.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Kitson was earning £18,000 per week at Portsmouth (no wonder they went bust)
in 2010/2011.

He would be a good signing alongside a poacher i.e Tubbs.

Those two would get us close to automatic.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I've read this thread on the other place, if that counts. Where it is also alleged that he is the Guardian's Secret Footballer, if that is of any interest to anyone.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Where will ex-Plymouth Argyle left back Bhasera end up - he appears to have gone missing.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymout ... story.html
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Kernow Yellow wrote:

I've read this thread on the other place, if that counts. Where it is also alleged that he is the Guardian's Secret Footballer, if that is of any interest to anyone.
There's a lot of people saying things on that thread like "it would be a statement of intent" and "it would make the rest of the league sit up and take notice", and I don't understand why that's such a good thing. Kitson's game has been declining ever since he left Reading and I don't see why that would stop if he signed for us.

I also don't see why all the talk is that we need a centre-forward, we have Marsh, Smalley and Beano, I'd like to see one other player to complement Beano, that knows where the net is but that would be enough. Move further back and we currently have two centre-halves, one is the superb Jake Wright, but the other is Michael Raynes, my priority would be to find an unspectacular but reliable partner for Wright, in the same way that Creighton was in the conference.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

joepoolman wrote:
Kernow Yellow wrote:

There's a lot of people saying things on that thread like "it would be a statement of intent" and "it would make the rest of the league sit up and take notice", and I don't understand why that's such a good thing. Kitson's game has been declining ever since he left Reading and I don't see why that would stop if he signed for us.

I also don't see why all the talk is that we need a centre-forward, we have Marsh, Smalley and Beano, I'd like to see one other player to complement Beano, that knows where the net is but that would be enough. Move further back and we currently have two centre-halves, one is the superb Jake Wright, but the other is Michael Raynes, my priority would be to find an unspectacular but reliable partner for Wright, in the same way that Creighton was in the conference.
I think you've answered your own question with your answer! Marsh has practically no league experience, Beano will get about 15 a season and Smalley - well if he gets 10 next season we'll be lucky. I agree about the Raynes issue though - ok as cover but not as first choice. We need a good striker, centre back and probably another good central midfielder at least, if not more.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Angelo Simone ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelo_Simone ) on trial. Another midfielder..........
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Radley Rambler wrote:I think you've answered your own question with your answer! Marsh has practically no league experience, Beano will get about 15 a season and Smalley - well if he gets 10 next season we'll be lucky. I agree about the Raynes issue though - ok as cover but not as first choice. We need a good striker, centre back and probably another good central midfielder at least, if not more.
Yes but that's not a bad front three, especially when you look at the top scorers of Cheltenham whose top scorer had less than Craddock and Beano, or even Gillingham last year, we have one striker who imo almost guarantees you 15-20 goals if he's fit and happy, a young player with a lot of promise, and Smalley who I agree won't score loads of goals but has ability and just needs to find consistency. If you can find a partner for Beano that you know is likely to get about 12 or more goals, and factor in that Alfie should get double figures again then that sounds pretty good to me.

So going into next season I'm fairly happy about the potential of the front line, especially given that it seems generally accepted that we're going to sign one fairly decent forward, but that the back we already have less centre halves than forwards, and there's precious little talk of more at the moment, which is why I have a lot more concern about the defence.

I'd also like to add a winger on to the list of players we need, seeing as Rigg and Alfie are our only two wingers as I write and I didn't like seeing Heslop or Smalley out there last season, and I don't really want to see that sort of thing next season.