Have we ever.....

Anything yellow and blue
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Have we ever.....

Post by Old Abingdonian »

..scored 13 goals against the same side in one season before? In fact, how commonly does any club achieve this kind of aggregate?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Have we ever.....

Post by slappy »

I think this is Crocombe's fifth consecutive clean sheet in all competitions.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

The closest I can get to that stato challenge is Wisbech Town with 10 in the 60/61 season , though as a footnote I’d add that Oxford United/Headington United scored 24 in two calendar years against them in six games.

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... ent_id=224

//

Crocombe could very possibly add another clean sheet if he plays at Minchery in the Senior Cup Final.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Luton scored 15 against us in one season, in four games (and I watched 12 of them live, two live on TV, and one on Sportsnight). So we need to go some to beat that.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I can offer 14 goals conceded to Merthyr Tydfil in the space of six months as my closest guess but can't claim to have seen any of the games!

Another question - when was the last time Welsh clubs won four bits of sought after Silverware in one season in the top five divisions of the FA pyramid?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I think this is Crocombe's fifth consecutive clean sheet in all competitions.
In 2009/10 we went six games without conceding.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:I can offer 14 goals conceded to Merthyr Tydfil in the space of six months as my closest guess but can't claim to have seen any of the games!

Another question - when was the last time Welsh clubs won four bits of sought after Silverware in one season in the top five divisions of the FA pyramid?
Don't know about that one, but I have only just realised that when Wrexham's Dave Artell was sent off the other week, they appealed to the Welsh FA. They didn't overturn the sending off, but instead decided that the three match ban wasn't necessary, and that missing the last few minutes of that game was sufficient. This left him free to feature in the play-offs, and he scored in the first leg against Kidderminster.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I think this is Crocombe's fifth consecutive clean sheet in all competitions.
I haven't seen any of the games Crocombe's featured in. How's he looking? Is he the real deal, or has he had little to do against poor opposition?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
I haven't seen any of the games Crocombe's featured in. How's he looking? Is he the real deal, or has he had little to do against poor opposition?
Crocombe is still very young. But he is a decent keeper.

I would say he needs to improve his kicking. Also when coming for high balls, he needs to try to catch more rather than punch, not that his punching is poor, simply that by catching we retain possession. I don't think he has had that many difficult shots to save, but then we've got the clean sheets so no one is getting past him, and making saves is as much about positioning as it is agility. His positioning seems good to me.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I think if we'd started playing him a few weeks earlier we'd be struggling to keep hold this summer. This is not an argument for not playing youth, of course, but it is a bit of a relief!
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:I think if we'd started playing him a few weeks earlier we'd be struggling to keep hold this summer. This is not an argument for not playing youth, of course, but it is a bit of a relief!
Really? I have seen him a couple of times and he really hasn't had a save to make (it sounded on the radio that he made one very good save on saturday).

The test of course will be when he let's some goals in, when he makes mistakes and when we play against a good team that have us under the cosh.

I think that he positionally looks pretty good. He has a strong kick (goes through to the opposition G/K sometimes), which can be worked on. Also would be good to see him throw it out to an oxford player more often.

A good beginning but a long way to go I would have thought.
x586
Brat

Post by x586 »

He played well on Saturday - particularly in the first half when Accrington looked the more likely to score. Plus, he made a good save from a mis-shot in the second half when we were 2-0 up.

&quotTactical genius&quot stuff from Wilder after 50 minutes - took off Batt and replaced him with Heslop - who then turned in an excellent performance as a playmaker. Best I've seen him play. After the substitution, play went via the three in midfield, and not down the wings as it had in the first half (a tactic might have worked if Potter had any real ability to deliver). From 50 minutes on, all Oxford, and good to watch.

Marsh looks as if he'll be decent in League 2 - couple of good chances straight at their goalie, and did the right thing in laying off to Rigg for the third.

Hats off to the brutally loud bloke standing behind us for his &quotadvice&quot to Murphy (Accrington's number two) - i.e. &quotyou could have killed him&quot (having given away penalty to Beano), &quotMurphy - you are not influencing play&quot etc. etc. Great stuff.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:I can offer 14 goals conceded to Merthyr Tydfil in the space of six months as my closest guess but can't claim to have seen any of the games!

Don't know about that one, but I have only just realised that when Wrexham's Dave Artell was sent off the other week, they appealed to the Welsh FA. They didn't overturn the sending off, but instead decided that the three match ban wasn't necessary, and that missing the last few minutes of that game was sufficient. This left him free to feature in the play-offs, and he scored in the first leg against Kidderminster.
Yet had it been a Kidderminster player sent off - he would have been unable to appeal to a different FA. The playing field is not very level.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:I haven't seen any of the games Crocombe's featured in. How's he looking? Is he the real deal, or has he had little to do against poor opposition?
A bit of both I'd say (on the I've seen all his Oxford games except for Daggers for what it's worth) I think he's a good keeper but looks shakey when he's under pressure from crosses, I wonder whether over-protection from refs as a youngster may have hindered him slightly, he's not short.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

With one exception in the first half, I thought he dealt with crosses very well at Accy, including when he was under pressure. Not seen all his games, but from what I saw on Saturday I cannot understand why there are such strong doubts about him in this regard. I can only recall him punching a couple of times, and they deflected the ball away from attackers' heads.