Press Conference...

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Press Conference...

Post by slappy »

IN CONTRACT
GK:
Clarke, Crocombe, (assume Brown now goalkeeping coach)
DEF:
Wright, Raynes, Lynn, Long
MID:
FWD:
Rigg, Constable, Marsh, O'Dowda
-------------------------------------------------
Assuming Chapman goes to Mansfield and discounting Brown, that is 10 of the first team squad, including five local / youth development lads. So between ten and twelve players needed in the Summer for a squad of 20-22.

The other players:
GK:
McCormick,
DEF:
Batt, Duberry, Whing, Worley, O'Brien, Davis,
MID:
Heslop, Capaldi, Montrose, Leven, Davies,
FWD:
Smalley, Pittman, Potter, Richards, Parker, Craddock.
-----------------------------------
I would keep Whing if at all possible, then Batt &amp Davis, then Potter. The rest I think have done their time, are either not good enough, not reliable enough to stay fit, or too expensive.

With Duberry, Smalley, Craddock, Leven presumably off, that would probably pay for the whole Accrington squad.

I am looking forward to some exciting signings in the Summer.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:What IL said about the youth players' situation was &quotnext season will see almost 25% of the Oxford United first-team squad having come from the Academy ranks&quot. That is completely different to what has been widely reported in the media (and, it seems, interpreted on here), as meaning a quarter of the first team squad has to come from the youth ranks. Given the three professional contracts just given, plus Marsh and Crocombe, that suggests an indicative size for the squad of about 20. It does not say that, whatever the size of the squad, 25% must be youth team products.
Yes, exactly. What Lenagan is actually saying is &quotWe've now got 5 of our young players signed up on professional terms, and I'm not paying them just to sit in the stands, so they'll make up almost 25% of our first team squad and we won't be signing as many new players as you might think&quot.

Also, another way of interpreting Wilder's contract situation is that, far from being given 'the board's' endorsement, he's actually just been served the one year notice period stipulated by his previous (assumed) rolling contract. That is to say he's actually been sacked, but not in the way that football clubs usually sack people.

Lenegan might be the master of the impressive presentation, but we mustn't forget that what lies behind everything OUFC at the moment is the fact that we're around £7million in debt and have been haemorrhaging cash, so 'the board' cannot afford to make all the decisions that they or the fans might desire with the speed that we or they might desire.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote: Godalming Yellow - IL suggests that we have the 7th largest salary budget in the division, I recall a lengthy debate on this subject recently on this Forum
And?

A number of IL's figures have previously, and very recently, been shown to be somewhat less than accurate, so whilst I would acknowledge that it may read that I'm not prepared to accept another view, I am very suspicious of IL's stats now.

Looking at those teams who will (or are very likely to) finish above us, I would think there are only 3 or maybe 4 at most, with higher budgets than us. The fact is that Wilder has not spent our budget at all well.
Easy GY, I was merely recalling that there had been a long debate on this matter (and that you had a particularly keen interest in it) and IL has now stated publicly the level of our resources in this area. Whether you choose to believe him or not is of course another matter.
No worries RR, I just wasn't sure if you were trying to make a particular point, that's all.

I remember the debate well, and part of the problem with the debate is that some mistakenly look at who has a bigger budget than us, rather than who is above us in the table that has a bigger budget than us. I couldn't care less if Fleetwood or Bristol Rovers have a bigger budget than us if they spend it badly and end up below us. What I'm interested in is how come there are teams above us who have much lower budgets but spend it better than our manager spends his relatively big budget.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:IN CONTRACT
GK:
Clarke, Crocombe, (assume Brown now goalkeeping coach)
DEF:
MID:
FWD:
-------------------------------------------------
Assuming Chapman goes to Mansfield and discounting Brown, that is 10 of the first team squad, including five local / youth development lads. So between ten and twelve players needed in the Summer for a squad of 20-22.

The other players:
GK:
McCormick,
DEF:
Batt, Duberry, Whing, Worley, O'Brien, Davis,
MID:
Heslop, Capaldi, Montrose, Leven, Davies,
FWD:
Smalley, Pittman, Potter, Richards, Parker, Craddock.
-----------------------------------
I would keep Whing if at all possible, then Batt &amp Davis, then Potter. The rest I think have done their time, are either not good enough, not reliable enough to stay fit, or too expensive.

With Duberry, Smalley, Craddock, Leven presumably off, that would probably pay for the whole Accrington squad.

I am looking forward to some exciting signings in the Summer.
Thanks Slappy.

Do you know how many years each of the in contract players have left?
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Re: Raynes.

I said in an ideal world so left him out but I accept that probably rules out a new centre back (unless Wright is sold).
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

OK, here's my punt on who will be here next season.

Senior pros:

Clarke
Wright
Raynes
Rigg
Constable
Whing
Potter

Young pros:

Crocombe
Lynn
Long
Marsh
O'Dowda

And we will bring in 8-9 new faces for a squad of 20-21.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

If we assume the following are the fixed starting point:
GK:
Clarke, Crocombe,
DEF:
MID:
FWD:

I believe we have one year options on Davis and Potter, which I would take up.
I agree with Slappy over Whing and Batt.
I would then add Davies and perhaps O'Brien &amp Pittman (injury permitting)

This would mean:
GK: Clarke, Crocombe
FB: Batt, (RB), Davis, O'Brien, Lynn
CB: Wright, Raynes, Long (CB)
MF: Davies, Whing (CMx2)
WM/FW: Constable, Marsh, Rigg, Potter, Pittman, OD (CF)

in a squad of 22, with 5 coming in.
of which 5 would definitely be in the DevSquad, playing a number of games alongside 1st team duties. YT then retain their Saturday fixture list, with presumably the stronger second years slowly stepping up into the Dev games. It may be that one of more of those coming in may also qualify for the Dev Squad (eg a young backup rightback let go by a higher club?)
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotjoepoolman&quot wrote:What makes me happiest about all that's happened today is everyone seems to agree that we need to get behind the manager and players next season now,

Have you seen the comments on the bottom of the Ox Fail report? Or on TiU?
What I was trying to imply, admittedly quite badly, by saying something like &quotI hope this reflects all of our support&quot was that I was commenting on the posters on this forum.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I would keep:

Clarke (subject to injury assessment otherwise keep McCormick)
Crocombe
Batt (though he is rumoured to be leaving)
Wright
Davis (subject to injury assessment)
Davies
Whing
Potter
Rigg
Constable
Marsh

4 more from youth

Might keep Raynes at a push subject to cost.

Given the opportunity I would ditch everyone else (provided there is no cost involved) and rebuild the squad, as all the others are either too expensive, or to injury prone, too inconsistent, or simply not good enough.

Agree with that list. I can't believe that anybody would think that Potter shouldn't be kept on.

Raynes will be fine as a third CB I reckon if we get a solid second choice with Wright.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Is it just me, or did Wilder's speech at the Press Conference sound suspiciously like it was written by the same person who wrote ILs speech?
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Is it just me, or did Wilder's speech at the Press Conference sound suspiciously like it was written by the same person who wrote ILs speech?
I got the distinct impression that many of Wilder's comments were made whilst he had his arm well and truly behind his back. On p2 of this thread, I posted the following excerpt from IL's speech and a question on the back of it:
[It] is the Board’s belief that Youth Development is the best strategy to support Oxford United’s further progression... I am happy to say that Chris Wilder supports this strategy entirely.
Do we believe this? Not sure I do, given how reluctant he has been to play home-grown talent in the past and his clear preference for short-term untested loan players.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:Is it just me, or did Wilder's speech at the Press Conference sound suspiciously like it was written by the same person who wrote ILs speech?
[It] is the Board’s belief that Youth Development is the best strategy to support Oxford United’s further progression... I am happy to say that Chris Wilder supports this strategy entirely.
Do we believe this? Not sure I do, given how reluctant he has been to play home-grown talent in the past and his clear preference for short-term untested loan players.
CW has clearly been given no choice but to believe this. I think that following these comments it was a little disappointing that we didn't start Marsh on Saturday and bring on O'Dowda. Again it was cautious (sure we are no Crewe but even so the game was not important and why not give more of the youngstres more time on the pitch?)

Incidentally I was told that CW's family are moving back to Sheffield and he will live down in Oxford during the week. I am not sure how true it is but IF it is true I am not sure what that says.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote: Incidentally I was told that CW's family are moving back to Sheffield and he will live down in Oxford during the week. I am not sure how true it is but IF it is true I am not sure what that says.
He won't be around to work weekends?
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:I think that following these comments it was a little disappointing that we didn't start Marsh on Saturday and bring on O'Dowda. Again it was cautious (sure we are no Crewe but even so the game was not important and why not give more of the youngstres more time on the pitch?)
Quite. I'd never bemoan a good away win and a clean sheet, but I was equally surprised that no youngsters started apart from Crocombe.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:
&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:
CW has clearly been given no choice but to believe this. I think that following these comments it was a little disappointing that we didn't start Marsh on Saturday and bring on O'Dowda. Again it was cautious (sure we are no Crewe but even so the game was not important and why not give more of the youngstres more time on the pitch?)

Incidentally I was told that CW's family are moving back to Sheffield and he will live down in Oxford during the week. I am not sure how true it is but IF it is true I am not sure what that says.
From what I have read elsewhere he apparently wanted to be fair to out of contract players and give them one last chance to earn a contract. Makes some sort of sense I suppose, but I would have preferred the youngsters.