83%
No
17%

Total votes: 18

ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Time for a change?

Post by ty cobb »

Simple yes/no answer required, we can no longer get in the play offs and will finish mid-table this season.

Is it time for a change in our manager or not?
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: Time for a change?

Post by Radley Rambler »

I've said yes purely on the basis that I don't think he can take us any further. I also don't want the man who got us out of the Conference to become a figure of hate.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

I don't feel particularly strongly about it - we've not stunningly underachieved, but we've stood still for three years now and he hasn't demonstrated that he knows how to progress us. So on balance, yes he should probably go before he becomes too divisive.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I think that 3 years to at least get us into the Play Offs is plenty of time.

He could have gone last Summer but IL has been very loyal to CW.

Things have gone stale (read Paul's latest comments about Deggenham and Rochdale). It is time to move on and to try and gte the club Promotion. In my view there is little chance of that under CW (he may do well at another club but has run out of ideas here).

The other negative is his reluctance to use younger players. IL/SL's strategy clearly seems to be to use the young players coming through. CW does not seem to have that same view .... The next manager needs to be able to use the youngsters when we have injuries and when thye are up to it. No more £250K on loan players....
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Sacked is harsh. I'd like to think we could engineer a &quotleaving by mutual consent&quot but it's definitely time for a change (as it was a year ago after the end of season slump).
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

I voted No simply because I have yet to see any of the 'outers' name a feasible 'guaranteed to do better' replacement.

This weekend the club have celebrated the 50th anniversary into the league. Since then we have achieved promotion 6 times - an average of about every 8 years or so. There is plenty of time before the next one is due.

I would rather IL got the club sorted and running in a sustainable/viable way before we become too ambitious.

But that is not to say Wilder is perfect. In his interview after the Rochdale game he alluded to learning from his own mistakes. Let's hope he does so. The club might gain something if IL sent Wilder on a 2 week man management course.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:I voted No simply because I have yet to see any of the 'outers' name a feasible 'guaranteed to do better' replacement.
&quotguaranteed&quot is a bit of a big ask. I'm happy for CW to move on and the replacement be selected via application - it worked very well last time. Lets see who actually wants to come to us, rather than trying to pluck names out of a hat/little black book. If Wilder thinks he's still got something to offer, there's nothing to stop him applying for the job and proving he's the best candidate, is there?
This weekend the club have celebrated the 50th anniversary into the league. Since then we have achieved promotion 6 times - an average of about every 8 years or so. There is plenty of time before the next one is due.
Under the same logic, we're also overdue a demotion, of course.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:I voted No simply because I have yet to see any of the 'outers' name a feasible 'guaranteed to do better' replacement.
&quotguaranteed&quot is a bit of a big ask. I'm happy for CW to move on and the replacement be selected via application - it worked very well last time. Lets see who actually wants to come to us, rather than trying to pluck names out of a hat/little black book. If Wilder thinks he's still got something to offer, there's nothing to stop him applying for the job and proving he's the best candidate, is there?
Under the same logic, we're also overdue a demotion, of course.

I would be happy with that - if it is of his own volition. Perhaps, as YF Dan suggests, mutual consent would be the answer. My main gripe with the 'outers' is they all sound like 'Dougie' of Radox infamy, always wanting to spend money but with no idea of where it is coming from.

Since being elected to the league we have undergone six promotions and six relegations (hence we are back where we started) and, as Eric Morecambe would say, not necessarily in that order.
. I believe promotion is due next.

Perhaps IL may be waiting until the season is completely over before inviting applications. There could be a subtle difference in the applicants. I have in mind somebody like Steve Burr. If Kidderminster win the BSP play-offs he would probably want to stay there, but if they don't he could be a possible applicant.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:I've said yes purely on the basis that I don't think he can take us any further. I also don't want the man who got us out of the Conference to become a figure of hate.
What he said.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:I believe promotion is due next.
That'll be a guarantee then will it, in the same way you want us to name a manager guaranteed to bring success?

There are plenty of managers capable of getting us success on a much lower budget than Wilder has been used to.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I notice Tisdale has presided over a relegation, and then throwing the playoffs away when in good position a few months back, with an awful finish to the season. Surely the man for us?
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

[quote=&quotDartford Ox&quot][quote=&quotSmileyMan&quot][quote=&quotDartford Ox&quot]

I would be happy with that - if it is of his own volition. Perhaps, as YF Dan suggests, mutual consent would be the answer. My main gripe with the 'outers' is they all sound like 'Dougie' of Radox infamy, always wanting to spend money but with no idea of where it is coming from.

Well there are 10 'outers' out of 13 voting here and I would not say that they sound like Dougie?

I would think that there are plenty of managers who would love to manage Oxford on even a reduced budget than last year (with the youth talent we hope is coming through).

I agree totally that if CW stays there is a risk that crowds will decline further and he could become a 'hate figure' It is not the way it should end for somebody who has been overall successful.

Regarding Tisdale- it seems to me that he should have left Exeter maybe last season like CW should have done in retrospect. Stale maybe and needed a new challenge (not that he is necessarily right for us- he seems to have introduced an 18 year old striker recently but I am not sure his overall development of young players)
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:

I would think that there are plenty of managers who would love to manage Oxford on even a reduced budget than last year (with the youth talent we hope is coming through).
I am sure there are. But how can a reader decide if it is an ' out of the frying pan and into the fire' situation without the name of the alternative being supplied. As I see it, unless you can name a better person for the job then your argument is invalidated.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:

I am sure there are. But how can a reader decide if it is an ' out of the frying pan and into the fire' situation without the name of the alternative being supplied. As I see it, unless you can name a better person for the job then your argument is invalidated.
There's a leaky bucket of an argument if ever I saw one!

As I see it, unless you recognise that there needs to be change, then your argument is invalidated.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:

It's not up to the fans to pick the new manager, so any name they might put forward is irrelevant anyway. It certainly doesnt invalidate the argument to not pick one.

Your argument is that we should keep Wilder until a clearly superior replacement comes knocking at the door? We might have a bit of a wait.

Plenty of people wanted Patto to go - I would imagine that only a tiny fraction of them, if any, might have given you the name Chris Wilder as a possible replacement. Were they all wrong? According to your logic they were.

Say thanks and goodbye soon, and maybe get a head start on the other clubs looking for a new boss this summer.