Oxford Cty

Anything yellow and blue
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re: Oxford Cty

Post by Myles Francis »

ty cobb wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:48 am The previous owner didn't really invest much in the club though did he - hence the falling down divisions rather than going and then looking up before he sold up.

Personally I don't have a problem with Eales looking to get his investment back, it was his money that brought the likes of Roofe, Marv and Lego to the club. If he spent say £4m in the process of doing so, whats the problem with him looking to recoup that £4m when he leaves? I'm not aware that Eales is looking to take out more money than he put in - if thats the case Myles perhaps you can enlighten me?
I don't have a problem per se with Eales wanting to recoup his investment. Where I do have a problem is the trotting out of the "best interests of the club" line when the actions taken appear to be the precise opposite of that.

How is it in the best interests of the club to hive off potential income from the club into his own pockets? That refers to both the deal with OCFC and the charge he has taken over the clubs income as part of his sale of the club.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I think that the reference to "the best interests of the club" was that a social media influenced takeover campaign led to uncertainty amongst the manager and players (with eventually Appleton and players leaving). As there was quite clearly a big gap in the sale price wanted vs offered, particularly on player values and the goodwill value of the club, it seems to me that was partly why the Sartori deal was shelved, particularly when Tiger turned up offering a better return.

In retrospect, if Tiger's deal had gone through last Summer, we may have avoided seeing last season as "not in the best interests" of the club, although we wait to see what happens this Summer and next season.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Myles Francis wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:15 am
slappy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:49 pm Whilst we are talking City, what happened to the Oxford Football Partnership between Oxford United and Oxford City, which I think ended up being between Ensco (i.e. Eales's company) and City according to Companies House?

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... lace_Farm/

So does this mean OUFC no longer benefit? If they did at all in the first place?
I'd say OUFC never benefited in the first place, other than the income from the partnership going into the pockets of a common owner. Which is exactly the same situation as happened under a previous chairman where potential income streams for the club were hived off....
a few updates at Companies House.
Oxford United Community Trading. Filed dormant accounts for the year to 30 June 2018. Eales ceased to be a person with signifcant control on 1 July 2018 with no-one else now having significant control. (No idea what this company was set up for)

Oxford Football Partnership Limited. Termination of appointment of directors of Thomas Grunwold and Stephen Dolton on 20 August. Cessation of Ensco 1070 Ltd as a person with significant control on 13 August.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Confirmed. It was all Darryl's and now it's all City's ...

http://www.oxfordcityfc.co.uk/news/club ... 55021.html
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Hog wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:51 pm Confirmed. It was all Darryl's and now it's all City's ...

http://www.oxfordcityfc.co.uk/news/club ... 55021.html
Interesting. Three thoughts arise from this:

1) Presumably this ends any real partnership between the two clubs now, beyond the fact that City let some of our teams play on their pitch? It certainly suggests that any talk of us moving from Grenoble Road to play at an upgraded CPF is fanciful.

2) Does anyone know whether Mr Thanakarnjanasuth or his team have had any dialogue with City?

3) There is an irony that Darryl Eales' long-term legacy to the footballing public of Oxford will be to City's rather than United's benefit! Not a criticism (it's his money to do with as he pleases), but just an observation.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Well I will certainly remember the Eales era for a fantastic promotion with one of the best teams I have ever seen, together with two trips to Wembley. Wasn't he also key to getting the (bumpy) training pitches?

Would still love to know why OxVox started stepping on his toes over the stadium - it brought an angry reaction and he seemed to withdraw and start looking for a sale after that point.

He seemed to be have invested to put good infrastructure in place but suddenly gave up.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

Ty - just to reiterate, I wasn't having a pop. It's just interesting that Oxford City look set be a beneficiary of his largesse for many years to come whereas we could soon conceivably be in the same division as we were when he took over, still without a ground of our own and still not in a sustainable financial position! But, like you, I will look back fondly on how we did during his tenure (hot dogs and all), particularly given our current plight.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Kairdiff Exile wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:13 am Ty - just to reiterate, I wasn't having a pop. It's just interesting that Oxford City look set be a beneficiary of his largesse for many years to come whereas we could soon conceivably be in the same division as we were when he took over, still without a ground of our own and still not in a sustainable financial position! But, like you, I will look back fondly on how we did during his tenure (hot dogs and all), particularly given our current plight.
I'm not sure how Eales paying for 3G pitches and then getting repaid by instalments at "favourable rates" counts as largesse. At least everything is back in City's control with them taking all of the revenues, as it was never quite clear how sharing revenues between OCFC and Ensco actually benefited OUFC, although when they were under common control, it was a moot point. Eales I supposed could have kept the existing situation as a small earner, but perhaps he decided being paid back the investment was financially better, fairer to City, or he needed a clean break from Oxford.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

slappy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:33 pm Eales I supposed could have kept the existing situation as a small earner, but perhaps he decided being paid back the investment was financially better, fairer to City, or he needed a clean break from Oxford.
I suspect that it's the latter. The Companies House records show that the ties were severed back in August, the same time as he stepped down from the OUFC board. It looks like this was a clearing of the decks to ensure there was no conflict preventing the take over of Solihull Moors.