Oxford Cty

Anything yellow and blue
Brahma Bull
Puberty

Re: Oxford Cty

Post by Brahma Bull »

&quotRoo&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotHog&quot wrote: and he also tried it on with Oxford United a while ago before City took the bait..

What was the situation with him trying it on with United? I must've missed this?
I have heard this was the case about 12-15 months ago. Apparently this American chap, got in touch with United and the Chairman blew him out of the water along with his pie in the sky proposal. A &quotWell done&quot is in order by the looks of it!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

The mission statement or strategy update on their website which was posted after the American was revealed as the new President doesn't even mention him!

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/oxfordcit ... 29268.html

Attempts to discover what City fans think about it on the message board reveals that they don't seem to care, or perhaps they aren't aware of the developments which is strange considering the number of teams they run and therefore the number of people actively involved at OCFC.

http://www.oxfordcityfc.proboards.com/t ... eux?page=1

I'm surprised that the Ox Fail, or more likely the Ox Times haven't started digging or at least commenting on the rather bizarre situation. Hopefully Snake will continue make enquiries and perhaps point them in the right direction.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Thank you Simon for confirming that as it means I don’t need to break any confidence issues to confirm the fact that this guy also approached OUFC before City.

I also concur with the Hog from Hampshire in that to date for some reason the Oxford Mail haven't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Don’t get my message wrong here – my step-son has played for the disability team for years and my wife works unpaid hours on a weekly basis along with many other volunteers at what is a real community based club who will probably never be rivals to Oxford United like they used to be many decades ago. In essence I’d like City to thrive as they have different aims to United and so I would not like them to get financially ripped off, especially as this season they have easily survived relegation from Conference North (and they may end up getting sort of promoted to Conference South next season).

The official silence from the 'Boardroom' at Court Place Farm says nothing but implies that either a major cock-up or a financial miracle has occurred. I'd like to believe the later just like I did when the guy with no socks and African gem mines took over Oxford United.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

For those that don't get the Oxford Mail apparently this was in the business section of the Oxford Mail yesterday:

Tycoon Vows to take Hoops into big League

By Andrew Smith Business editor:

The new president of Oxford City F C has pledged to improve facilities as the club builds on success.
Florida based finance guru Thomas Guerriero is determined to accelerate the 'Hoops' towards fully fledged
League status, starting with promotion from the Blue Square Bet North League next season.
And he is kicking off his revolution with a ' world class' new website designed not only to appeal to fans but
Potential investors and partners Internationally. It will be launched in a matter of weeks.
Mr Guerriero told the Oxford Mail : 'we will improve the stadium in line with anticipated success on the pitch.
As we progress and get promoted the facilities and the ground will be improved accordingly.'
He admitted he had not yet opened talks with oxford city council, which owns the Court Place Farm ground,
and would wait until something was firmly in the pipeline. But he added ' In the next two to three weeks you
will see a world class new website launched which will set the tone for our vision.
It will give us the capability of doing what we want to do such as talking to sponsors and people who want to
get involved.' Mr Guerriero said he was ' closely monitoring ' Wednesdays Oxfordshire Senior Cup Final
when City pushed Oxford United into extra time before eventually losing 4-2 He said &quotIt would have been nice
to get a victory but it shows how close we are and how quickly we can proceed.
&quotThat is why we are so excited. By executing our strategic plan we feel confident promotion will be in our sights
along with the advancement of better facilities.'
Mr Guerriero 36, a Wall Street tycoon who now runs investment advisors WMX Holdings, swept into the club
last month and quickly outlined his plan to transform its fortunes. Since then he says he has been working
&quotMorning to night&quot on City business. &quotOur goal is to assist at every single level, from sponsorship to identifying
players. The product on the pitch is going to be improved year after year and the business side will be improved
dramatically.&quot He said. 'I feel this could be a major legacy. People will look back on this and see one of the biggest
Impact stories of all time in English football. 'I'm very excited and looking forward to it.&quot

This is obviously another press release that Andrew Smith has taken quotes from rather than an interview. When are the Oxford Mail going to do a proper job on this?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotHog&quot wrote:'I feel this could be a major legacy. People will look back on this and see one of the biggest impact stories of all time in English football.
This bloke is unbelievable. I can't believe the Mail are just reporting his fantasies verbatim.

He's providing a new website. Whoopy-doo.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I would be prepared to bet a few £ that he is not there in a years time.

City is a great community club but with all due respect on crowds of 200-300 it really isn't going to be easy to overtake United. And I really can't see the Council allowing a large ground at CPF. Sure they may get close to the Conference but I would be extremely surprised if they made it into the Football League.

As somebody else said Guerriero has done little except suggest thta they will deliver a world class web site.

It will end in tears ...
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Roo »

There is a rumour circulating that says that Oxford City have swapped some of their shares for WMX shares......!?

Oh dear!
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotRoo&quot wrote:There is a rumour circulating that says that Oxford City have swapped some of their shares for WMX shares......!?

Oh dear!
From what I've read, G has renamed WMX to Oxford City Football Club Inc. I've also read that shares have been swapped, which begs the question as to whether G even has the cash to pay for the shares in OCFC, and whether the OCFC Inc shares have any value to justify the swap.

I predict lachrymation concurrent with cessation.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotRoo&quot wrote:There is a rumour circulating that says that Oxford City have swapped some of their shares for WMX shares......!?

Oh dear!
That’s not a rumour that I’ve been able to properly verify and I concur with most of the postings on this thread. City will probably never be bigger than United like they used to be many decades ago, but I still wish them well as a Community based club and I don’t want to see them ripped off with no benefit to their fans and all the dozens of teams they run outside of Conference North (or is it Conference South next season?). Yes, we’ve had Kassam and Merry and made the same mistakes but at least there was more scrutiny involved from Oxford United supporters while City and their fans say nowt - just like Oxford Mail. On the flip side Maxwell was a thief but delivered three seasons of top flight football at The Manor and a major trophy in 1986. i.e. nothing wrong with bad people so long as they can do something in terms of progress in the football pyramid, morals aside of course...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:

Oh dear!
That’s not a rumour that I’ve been able to properly verify and I concur with most of the postings on this thread. City will probably never be bigger than United like they used to be many decades ago, but I still wish them well as a Community based club and I don’t want to see them ripped off with no benefit to their fans and all the dozens of teams they run outside of Conference North (or is it Conference South next season?). Yes, we’ve had Kassam and Merry and made the same mistakes but at least there was more scrutiny involved from Oxford United supporters while City and their fans say nowt - just like Oxford Mail. On the flip side Maxwell was a thief but delivered three seasons of top flight football at The Manor and a major trophy in 1986. i.e. nothing wrong with bad people so long as they can do something in terms of progress in the football pyramid, morals aside of course...
Hold on Snake, as far as I am aware (and someone may educate me in due course) the truth about Maxwell only came out long after the events that you refer to (which as a youngster I had the immense pleasure of witnessing) and so OUFC can't be held responsible from 'profiting' from the later very real despair of Mirror Pensioners.

The questions being raised here are at the potential start of Mr G's tenure and appear to be valid queries re the legitimacy of his intentions/strategy for OCFC. No-one is suggesting that a blind eye should be turned to any immoral behaviour if it could deliver footballing progress for CIty.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Maxwell apologist and both my wife and I lost pension money to him but AFAIK the pension fund(s) were raided to provide funds to purchase shares in his own companies to keep the share price up and therefore maintain his credibility with the banks and keep these companies running. Even the most evil of evil men would not stoop to robbing pensioners for something as frivolous as a football club.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Who opened the door to this chancer?
Are Ox Mail journalists really that lazy?
What does one have to achieve to be refererred to as a &quottycoon&quot?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Check out www.oxfordcity.com for Guerriero's lovely new website.

$150 for a City replica shirt anyone?!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Myles Francis wrote:Check out http://www.oxfordcity.com for Guerriero's lovely new website.

$150 for a City replica shirt anyone?!
Hmmm, I clicked the link and ended up at a domain name sales site.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

My bad. Should've been www.oxfordcityfc.com