Rugger off ...

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Rugger off ...

Post by Snake »

&quotHog&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:To be honest, I really can’t be arsed to look into the minute technical details like I used to for too many years as OUFC are now my second club. However, I don’t see any obvious advantage in London Welsh camping out on our side of Grenoble Road other than raising the value of the Stadium should a proper buyer (no, not you, Ian, and your nepotistic ‘board’) come along. No Rugger next season means not only a better pitch, but lowers the asking price for someone to properly invest in Oxford United. FFS, [b]we[/b] have the fanbase to move on.
FFS. LOL. 3CW. etc.
Ok, ok, I get the message Mr. U. - so no need for the red stuff as we are broadly on the same side. There are plenty of other people out there like me who used to follow Oxford United but for a number of reasons don’t any more, and I think a large majority of Us will come back when a major change happens - and by that I don’t mean just getting rid of Chris Wilder...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Results of appeal announced:

5pt penalty for this season remains - 5pt suspended penalty for any re-offence removed. Given that the offence was committed by someone who has since left the club (and, I think, banned from rugby) then the likelihood of any re-offending was very slight indeed, hence the alteration in punishment via the appeal will make no difference at all. Can't say I'm surprised, RFU clearly weren't going to be lenient to a side who dragged them through the courts 12 months ago...

The upshot being that OUFC will be sharing their pitch next season with a 2nd tier rugby side. The only hope is that the stadium company will provide a pitch which is capable of doing what we were all led to believe it was designed to do.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Is it financially viable for them to stay there? Surely not with virtually no away support and a much reduced home support. Depends on what sort of contract they have signed with Firoka I guess ÔÇô if it was a season by season deal then I would have thought they will leave, but if itÔÇÖs a rolling 12 month contract like WilderÔÇÖs then I reckon by now they will have put in their notice and are studying the small print!
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I assume (and hope) that some of the posters on here still support Oxford United?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Visiting mother today I saw a copy of Monday's Oxford Fail: there was a two page spread match report about the 'London' 'Welsh' rugby club's game, the same column inches as for OUFC. WTF! How long has that been going on?
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Sadly, for some time Hog. The Mail seem to dedicate as much space to London Welsh as OUFC these days. :twisted:
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Ding Dong, the Welsh have gone.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

and they have just lost their principal shareholder/backer ...
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

Given today's events, I struggle to imagine a set of circumstances in which Not London Not Welsh will be sharing &quotour&quot ground again next year.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:Given today's events, I struggle to imagine a set of circumstances in which Not London Not Welsh will be sharing &quotour&quot ground again next year.
The set of circumstances that spring to mind is that London Welsh signed a Licence Agreement with Firoka along the lines of the one signed on the 21st of March 2006 by WPL. If so, then they are fucked and it’s no wonder the majority share holder (also named Kelvin) has done a runner and there are rumours that other backers have done the same.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

But Snake, was it not a one-year agreement in their case?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Snake may know more than me on this, but I thought LW had a one year deal with an option for a 2nd year.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Snake may know more than me on this, but I thought LW had a one year deal with an option for a 2nd year.
Tony Copsey has now also officially gone, but a glimmer of hope remains for &quotWelsh&quot in that a promoted team may not adhere to ground regulations.

Anyone know about lower league Rugger Rules on here 'cos I know I don't?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... nship.html
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

@bbcoxfordsport: London Welsh &quotconsidering all options&quot re: home venue next season. &quotNot obligated&quot to stay at Kassam after relegation. Rent &quotprohibitive&quot.

It would be good to also hear a similar statement proceeded with OUFC. Would certainly bring in to question the value of the stadium without a guaranteed income stream.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

[quote=&quotneilw
It would be good to also hear a similar statement proceeded with OUFC. Would certainly bring in to question the value of the stadium without a guaranteed income stream.[/quote]

The difference it seems is that London Welsh appear to have signed a one year contract with an option to continue (and that would be based on the possibility of relegation).

OUFC are in the middle of a 25 year lease which I would suspect they can't get out of. London Welsh it seems can go back to their previous ground ...