Rugger off ...

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re: Rugger off ...

Post by Snake »

So are they going to pay for half of the £50k for getting the pitch re-laid?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

How about this for a novel idea.

Why doesn't Kassam pay for it?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

An even more novel idea.

Why don’t WPL buy the Stadium like they said they would years ago?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Snake wrote:An even more novel idea.

Why don’t WPL buy the Stadium like they said they would years ago?
Because Kassam wants far too much money for it!
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

No rugger off by London Welsh- they have confirmed that they will play at the Kassam next season.

I assume that they have negotiated a reduction in the rent whilst they are in the lower league.

I wonder where this leaves the question of buying the Stadium? Buying it with London Welsh seems the most liklely way ahead although LW will presumably need to be in the Premiership.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/23016710

interesting last paragraph: "....We have a very good rapport with the football club and we very much want to strengthen the links between us - including ensuring the pitch is maintained to a high standard
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

"London" "Welsh" RFC chairman talks about the possibility of somehow rebranding to incorporate an Oxfordshire identity.

He's mindful of the heritage and tradition of the current name though, but that didn't stop him moving the club 50 miles away from its fans in order to tap into new supporter markets, did it? If you're going to move so far, a la MK Dons, just get on with it and call yourself Oxford. You can't have your 'heritage' cake and eat it.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

He’d settle for an average of “three to four thousand” and maybe a new name for his club. LoL – top of this League means what? http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/ ... ship/table

No chance at all of those sorts of home crowds (away support would be different) so please just stop messing up Oxford United’s pitch and go back to London or Wales or wherever if local identity is that important to London Welsh. Deer Park’s future seems undecided - http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/204787.html - so I’d suggest they rename themselves ‘The Wanderers’, then the next time they rebrand and move grounds they won’t have to change their name.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Just what is the point of this rugby club? Thank God they don’t have the word “Oxford” in their name as they are a sporting embarrassment to the city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/30501303
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

The "point" of them is to keep 'London' Irish in the premiership!!
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Ancient Colin wrote:The "point" of them is to keep 'London' Irish in the premiership!!
I was being serious, AC.

Adams Park seems available.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

To an extent so was I - I have a soft spot for Irish having lived near their (proper) home and knowing people whose kids played in their junior scheme. And genuine Irish roots, too, not the "Oirish" nonsense at the Madejski with the leprechauns on bikes and what have you.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Nothing personal but I hope they sink without a trace as they are starting to ruin the pitch again and for no real purpose!
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

The move to Oxford was not an attempt to grab supporters, it was a local council and NIMBY neighbours that completely refused to allow any of the necessary improvements to Old Deer Park.

Not saying it's right, just trying to correct an error.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

In which case that makes them another ‘MK Dons’ type rugby club. And besides, why do they even need a stadium to play in next season? Can’t they just find the nearest open patch of ground next to their ‘home’ (as that should suffice) and just start again..They could rename themselves ARFC London Welsh.