Keepers

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Keepers

Post by Mooro »

So what's the deal with Clarke then??
The club site has half a sentence in the team announcement posting and This is Oxfordshire crashes my computer, so I'm a bit in the dark on this one....some people seem to think he's out for the season

Previous comments on here regarding Brown (including reports on Saturdays game) are somewhat concerning, not withstanding his seeming inability to play two games in succession without injury, which turns attention to young Max Crocombe. As with Marsh, he was deemed worthy of a pro deal, but how ready for the spotlight he is is an unknown to most of us...

So, a new keeper to come in then.....but is it time to buy someone to jump in ahead of Brown in the queue, loan someone for the spell of Clarke's injury, or can we rely on Brown and Crocombe to see us through????
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re: Keepers

Post by Dartford Ox »

Clarkey needs an op - out for 8 to 10 weeks.

Browne seems too error prone to have any confidence in so lots of rumours on the 'other' site about a replacement including the name of Turley (Yuk).

Wilder seems reluctant to blood our youngsters . I wouldn't hold my breath for Crocombe to be called up so a loan signing seems to be the popular choice.

I just hope we don't repeat the debacle of the end of last season.

Of the rumours being banded about this is my favourite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Dunn
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:So what's the deal with Clarke then??
The club site has half a sentence in the team announcement posting and This is Oxfordshire crashes my computer, so I'm a bit in the dark on this one....some people seem to think he's out for the season
Here's the full excerpt from the Oxford Fail:
...the ecstasy of the 2-1 win, sealed by a stoppage time penalty from Peter Leven, was tempered by the news Ryan Clarke could miss the rest of the season. The goalkeeper needs operations on both shoulders, which are expected to keep him out for a minimum of ten weeks...

Scans have shown there is a problem, but the full extent will not be know until the surgery. Wilder said: “Obviously you can’t do it on them at the same time so he needs one done and then the other one. There’s significant damage, but we’ll only find out how much once the (surgeon) goes right in. I should imagine that it will take ten weeks, if we can get him back (this season) brilliant, but if not we’ll have to see where we are.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:Browne seems too error prone to have any confidence in so lots of rumours on the 'other' site about a replacement including the name of Turley (Yuk).
Can't see what would be wrong with having Turley back to see us through to the end of the season if he's still fit. He knows the club, knows most of the team and would slot right in - which is what you want when a side's playing well. As we've said on another thread, defenders are happiest when they're with a 'keeper who they can trust. So not Brown or Crocombe then, given their lack of experience in an Oxford shirt.
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:Wilder seems reluctant to blood our youngsters . I wouldn't hold my breath for Crocombe to be called up
Isn't the point that those youngsters might not be good enough? I'm getting sick of people talking about Tyrone Marsh (and now, it seems, Crocombe) as though they're the next best thing when hardly any of us have seen them play. Wilder sees more of the players - in training, in practice games, in youth and reserve fixtures - than any of us. If he doesn't think they're ready, then maybe we should accept that. A few years ago, people were talking about Aaron Woodley as being a star in the making, and saying Wilder was mad for not playing him now he's plying his trade for Abingdon United. Maybe the manager knows something we don't, hmm?
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

It seems odd, given that we have 3 professional keepers on our books, that we should need to be considering signing another one when our first choice gets injured.

It's true that Wayne Brown has not inspired confidence when called upon. Maybe it's just that he's always been used at short notice, and is a bit rusty, but with his experience, and as a goalkeeping coach, it's his job to make sure he's ready when needed if he's our number two.

And what's the deal with Crocombe? Sure he's young, but he's not a youth-teamer any more - if we don't think he's good enough to play when needed, why has he got a professional contract?

I would certainly feel happier if we get a decent keeper in on a long-term loan, as GK is such a key position, but I don't really understand how it's come to this - what exactly are we paying the other two for?
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Turley got dropped for a game the other week after making a terrible error and costing Brackley a point. I can't see him as a viable option. He has not played league football since we got relegated!

Agree that there is no point paying Crocombe if Wilder does not think he is good enough to play.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Surprised no-one has suggested Alan Judge ...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Judging by CW's comments at the bottom of this article, we're looking to go with what we've got already:

&quotLet's see how (Wayne) Browny does, and we've got young Max Crocombe who we could also throw in.&quot

Which certainly makes sense from a financial/squad point of view. But I'm a little nervous...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

In theory we have a pretty solid keeper setup, with a top guy, an experienced oldie as backup/coach, and a youngie to gain experience and cover the bench if either of the others is missing, with the oldie warming the bench each week, while the youngie gains experience against adult sides in the reserves/on loan. Then we could rely on the oldie to playwhen the top guy is out and the youngie to be at least up to coming off the bench if required.

HOwever, in our case, I have no idea whether either Brown or Crocombe have played a game of any sort in the last few weeks, or months even, as we never hear anything of the reserves any more, apart from the odd hint that there might have been some behind closed door game somewhere but with no indication of who was involved, SO given that Brown has yet to complete more than two successive first team games without injury/suspension, then there will always be doubts over his fitness while there is no information as to what standard Crocombe has reached, so we have no idea whether either can be relied upon to perform to League 2 standards over the next dozen or more games until Clarke is back!!!!

So, while I'd love to see young Max take the bull by the horns and establish himself as a competent, if not exciting standin, or Brown to put in a solid shift, my gut feel is that we need to bring in someone experienced, and who has performed semi-regularly so far this season, for the rest of the season and potentially for the longer term as a proper #2, unless Crocombe will be ready to take on that role in the summer, with Brownie quietly stepping aside.

But as a previous poster said, what we dont want is a repeat of last season, where we had a succession of untried/rusty inexperienced loanees who did nothing to help our cause....we've got our own versions of them!
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:So, while I'd love to see young Max take the bull by the horns and establish himself as a competent, if not exciting standin, or Brown to put in a solid shift, my gut feel is that we need to bring in someone experienced, and who has performed semi-regularly so far this season, for the rest of the season and potentially for the longer term as a proper #2, unless Crocombe will be ready to take on that role in the summer, with Brownie quietly stepping aside.
I suppose the point is this - is it worth risking our very good run, and the prospect of continuing it towards promotion, for the sake of getting in an experienced loan keeper?

Mooro makes a good point about our setup being theoretically good, and the dangers of loan signings - but we'll all feel pretty sick if we end up losing momentum now because of a few goalkeeping errors over the next 6-10 weeks from either Brown being rusty or Crocombe not being sufficiently experienced at this level. I have nothing against either player, but they are both probably greater risks than a well-judged loan signing.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

&quotJoey's Toe&quot wrote:
&quotMooro&quot wrote:So, while I'd love to see young Max take the bull by the horns and establish himself as a competent, if not exciting standin, or Brown to put in a solid shift, my gut feel is that we need to bring in someone experienced, and who has performed semi-regularly so far this season, for the rest of the season and potentially for the longer term as a proper #2, unless Crocombe will be ready to take on that role in the summer, with Brownie quietly stepping aside.
I suppose the point is this - is it worth risking our very good run, and the prospect of continuing it towards promotion, for the sake of getting in an experienced loan keeper?

Mooro makes a good point about our setup being theoretically good, and the dangers of loan signings - but we'll all feel pretty sick if we end up losing momentum now because of a few goalkeeping errors over the next 6-10 weeks from either Brown being rusty or Crocombe not being sufficiently experienced at this level. I have nothing against either player, but they are both probably greater risks than a well-judged loan signing.
Agree with this, I have nothing against either keeper but a nagging doubt about their abilities to perform well for 20 matches. The rest of the side is gelling and looking good, if there is a good loan keeper out there I would much prefer this to taking a risk on the two already at the club. Brown as a back-up for a game or two is ok but more than that worries me.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

So what is our track record on &quotwell judged loan signings&quot then? Hmmm.

I'm going to have to concede to the &quotseason wrecked by injuries&quot thesis, it does seem an extraordinary run of bad luck, just as we seem to be making progress.

Out of interest, if, as Wilder is quoted, the injuries meant Clarke failed to save n of the penalties versus Southend, shouldn't we have followed their example and subbed on a fit goalkeeper?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:So what is our track record on &quotwell judged loan signings&quot then? Hmmm.

I'm going to have to concede to the &quotseason wrecked by injuries&quot thesis, it does seem an extraordinary run of bad luck, just as we seem to be making progress.

Out of interest, if, as Wilder is quoted, the injuries meant Clarke failed to save n of the penalties versus Southend, shouldn't we have followed their example and subbed on a fit goalkeeper?
Of course with hindsight we probably should've subbed on a keeper, but even Mr Wilder wasn't to know that after a fairly decent game for Clarke he'd struggle with penalties. I don't think it's following their example exactly, they just subbed on a keeper with a good record in a recent shoot-out for a fit keeper, but made the glaring error of not warning said keeper beforehand that it was a likely substitution.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

If we were to take the view that given the extended crap run earlier in the season, followed be the recent decent run, then it might be quite a good time to give some of the youngsters and extended spell in the first team.

On the basis that we're unlikely to be troubling either end of the table, IMNVHO.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

I was neither at Fleetwood, nor do I subscribe to YP, but listening to Radio Oxford after, one or two of the callers seemed to blame Brown and demand a keeper be brought in on loan. Independently of what might happen if Crocombe is called up by New Zealand U20s, I read nothing in any match report (including the one on Fleetwood's website) to suggest that Brown could be to blame for any of the goals. Can anybody shed any light on his performance?