Keepers

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Keepers

Post by Baboo »

&quotDr Bob&quot wrote:I was neither at Fleetwood, nor do I subscribe to YP, but listening to Radio Oxford after, one or two of the callers seemed to blame Brown and demand a keeper be brought in on loan. Independently of what might happen if Crocombe is called up by New Zealand U20s, I read nothing in any match report (including the one on Fleetwood's website) to suggest that Brown could be to blame for any of the goals. Can anybody shed any light on his performance?
Brown was not particularly at fault for the goals but he was shockingly awful. Dreadful. Paul Kee standard.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I was beginning to harbour thoughts of the play-offs but I suspect our season may have ended with Clarke's. I think we're going to score two goals a game just to get a point!
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

I remember Paul Kee and Brown's performance wasn't that bad, let's not panic. I was there and wouldn't call him &quotshockingly awful&quot, from what I recall he made 2 mistakes and only one of them was serious. 1) Misjudging when coming for a long ball and only the post and some lucky defending (i.e. bad defending that we got away with) saved him 2) A shot that nearly, but didn't, go under him. The rest of the time I thought he did fairly well, punched a few times, was brave on a couple of occasions in the second half and didn't hide. I think if you start watching a keeper thinking he's no good then of course the keeper will make you nervous.

It was a bad performance anyway, the first 30 minutes were shambolic. Raynes played midfield for the last 15 minutes in the 1st half and we improved at this point. I thought 2nd half we looked reasonable and had more of the play but never really looked like scoring.

What is wrong with Heslop these days? He looks terrible, but I have memories of him being a vaguely promising midfielder who would get forward and had a decent shot on him. Now he looks depressed, weak and when he did have the ball struggled to do more than kick it in the direction he was facing, often to an opposition player. The first half an hour of the game, when we were terrible, we got bullied in midfield - I've not seen Montrose, but we need at least 1 more physical player in the team. The formation didn't help, but there was a worrying lack of desire.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

So what is the story behind Crocombe getting the nod last night then?
Has Brown picked up an injury (as I've previously sugggested he tends to do after a couple of games)
Has Wilder just decided Crocombe is better than Brown
Is Brown on his way (is that the exciting news the other side hints at coming out today)

The OM nwo talks of Wilder looking for a loanee as hes not certain Crocombe can last the rest of the season, which also very much hints at Brown being out of the picture...

Anyone heard anything?
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

I think we're going to see a keeper coming in on loan because at present if Crocombe gets into the final under 20 squad for NZ then we'd only have Brown available as a keeper. I haven't heard any names, but if I was going to guess I wouldn't be shocked to see Martinez return.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The New Zealand Herald confirms Max is in the final 20 for the Oceania U-20 Championship. (Fiji, March 21-29)
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Pop quiz: when was the last time we used four different Keepers in a season?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Pop quiz: when was the last time we used four different Keepers in a season?
2011/12?
Ryan Clarke, Wayne Brown, Connor Ripley, Damian Martinez, Asa Hall, Max Crocombe (unused sub)