6 points clear

Anything yellow and blue
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

6 points clear

Post by A-Ro »

So we have a little hiccup on Saturday and drop a point, what do the chasing pack do? all lose or draw against each other.

I hope we're not being given too much too early and come Christmas the team have come to exepect that we can walk this league with no effort, the wheels are just bound to fall off.

I'm ecstatic that we are a genuine 6 points clear because that was never a possibility on Saturday and even less of a possibility at 89 mins and 50 seconds of last night's game but its results like tonight that could sway a young team's mind.

Roll on Stafford, get a decent starting strike force on from the start and let's show this league how good we really can be.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: 6 points clear

Post by Baboo »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:.

Roll on Stafford, get a decent starting strike force on from the start and let's show this league how good we really can be.
And that combination would be?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

It doesn't include Robinson.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:It doesn't include Robinson.
Or Duffer if you ask me.

I think the lack of a decent striker remains the biggest problem with the squad. Basham is the best we have at the moment but he's not a good target man or able to hold the ball up and he's also inconsistant. Yemi is fine for 20 minue bursts but can't last any longer and have any real impact.

Hopefully we can continue to get round this with goals from set pieces and wonder goals from the likes of Burges and Day but I think we are going to need a quality striker in January. Don't you think that Burgess and McClean in the same team has a certain ring to it?
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotMally&quot wrote: Or Duffer if you ask me.

I think the lack of a decent striker remains the biggest problem with the squad. Basham is the best we have at the moment but he's not a good target man or able to hold the ball up and he's also inconsistant. Yemi is fine for 20 minue bursts but can't last any longer and have any real impact.
i think odubade can certainly play for longer and be effective.

it's just he's even more effective coming off the bench after an hour or so, when he's got tired defenders to race against.

i'd like to see the duffy/basham partnership tried a bit more. duffy seems to me a more controlled version of robinson in the air, and basham, as someone observed earlier, plays better with someone else doing that work so that he can pick up the bits and pieces.

and if that's not working after an hour, bring on odubade.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

what about after the hour bringing on Yemi and Marvin.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

And I note that Grays have got one point out of last nine.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

ANybody know whats going on at Stevenage? They were pre-season favourites ahead of us for a while thay are now 66-1 at Ladbrokes to win the conference and about 25-1 everywhere else and have just 2 wins from 10 games.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
&quotMally&quot wrote: Or Duffer if you ask me.

i think odubade can certainly play for longer and be effective.

it's just he's even more effective coming off the bench after an hour or so, when he's got tired defenders to race against.

i'd like to see the duffy/basham partnership tried a bit more. duffy seems to me a more controlled version of robinson in the air, and basham, as someone observed earlier, plays better with someone else doing that work so that he can pick up the bits and pieces.

and if that's not working after an hour, bring on odubade.
Yemi is the best striker at the club in terms of potential. By far. The fitness team should be getting the lad ready to play 90 minutes.

Marvo is no 4 in the pecking order on current form. By a distance.

The best performacne by a pair of OUFC strikers this season was Duffy and Yemi at Burton.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:what about after the hour bringing on Yemi and Marvin.
well, the comparison of robinson and louis wasn't that far out i thought, and i always thought louis performed well as a subsitute - it didn't give defenders enough time to work out how to deal with him, and if you started him, once they'd done that, he didn't seem capable of varying his tactics.

the same may well be true of robinson as he did seem to become increasingly anonymous.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:
&quotDLT&quot wrote: the same may well be true of robinson as he did seem to become increasingly anonymous.
He'll be even more anonymous on Saturday as he is out injured.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:out injured.
Euphamism for cr4p.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Let's hope the operation he is having cures his crapness.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:out injured.
Euphamism for cr4p.
apparently the diagnosis is 6-8 weeks crap...
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Ok Ok !!! hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I've now got to reserve judegement on him for another 10 weeks or so.