London Welsh in talks to buy Kassam Stadium

Post by ox11yellow »

No mention of OUFC being involved:-

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... m/?ref=rss
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re: London Welsh in talks to buy Kassam Stadium

Post by Paul Cooper »

Well let's see what Mr Lenegan is made of.

Kelvin Thoimas and Ian Lengan I believe have always said that the plan was to own the Kassam Stadium when the time and price were right as this would provide potenial for better returns.

London Welsh average what 3K to 4K per home game and their income must be significantly less than United's at the moment.

I am not sure that London Welsh would be any worse a Landlord that Kassam (and indeed may have to sort the parking issues out if they do start getting occasional high crowds), but this could potentialy take away the possibility of United ever owning the Stadium.

To a certain extent I am surprised that there isn't a joint attempt to buy the Stadium.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20901836

Bit more info in this article but still just a bit of a 'we are thinking about buying it' article as opposed to any serious negotiations taking place.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

Lenagan needs to make a statement now. Time for action...
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Why would London Welsh want to purchase the ground themsleves when it seems that they could acquire it jointly with OUFC? I reckon that's the key question. Because they want to make money renting it to OUFC? Because OUFC can't afford to go splits?
I'm a bit uneasy about this anyway, I've been intending on going to a LW match but until talk of them buying the ground for themselves stop I won't be bothering.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Would this give LW primacy when it came to fixtures? I too am puzzled how LW could even contemplate being able to buy the stadium without the football club as joint purchaser.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

I think our old mate Oxblogger sums it up well in his latest post:

http://oxblogger.blogspot.co.uk/
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Jerome Sale has just been on RadOx, he said that he's spoken to Mr Kassam and he said that no conversations had taken place with LW about a potential sale of the ground! Kassam also apparently said that OUFC had had first refusal on any sale of the ground but that has now expired, but that it's a stadium built for football for which he is custudian, on behalf of Oxford United.

Kassam almost sounds like the good guy!
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

&quottheox&quot wrote:I think our old mate Oxblogger sums it up well in his latest post:

http://oxblogger.blogspot.co.uk/
Thanks - an excellent piece.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Whilst LW may not be &quotin talks with Kassam&quot, from what I have heard and read, they are putting the feelers out amongst their supporters, and Oxfordshire people and businesses about raising the money towards a purchase. It would need a lot of individuals paying even £1,000 a time before the balance of the cost would be viable via a mortgage.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Just had a quick read of the licence agreement and yes, we have first option to buy up to £15m. Should someone else buy the stadium for more than a penny more (which they can) than that then as I read it the licence becomes no more, and then it’s up to whoever buys it do deal with OUFC as they wish...

And that could mean a whole bunch of stuff from the extreme of having a better and cheaper landlord, to the worst case scenario of being ejected.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Just had a quick read of the licence agreement and yes, we have first option to buy up to £15m. Should someone else buy the stadium for more than a penny more (which they can) than that then as I read it the licence becomes no more, and then it’s up to whoever buys it do deal with OUFC as they wish...

And that could mean a whole bunch of stuff from the extreme of having a better and cheaper landlord, to the worst case scenario of being ejected.
Isn't there a 25 year covenant saying the stadium must be used for football though? Could LW buy it, kick us out and use it for Rugby only?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:Just had a quick read of the licence agreement and yes, we have first option to buy up to £15m. Should someone else buy the stadium for more than a penny more (which they can) than that then as I read it the licence becomes no more, and then it’s up to whoever buys it do deal with OUFC as they wish...

Isn't there a 25 year covenant saying the stadium must be used for football though? Could LW buy it, kick us out and use it for Rugby only?
Can you post up a link to that 25 year deal? Or even the deal that LW have with Firoka? Or the deal with the local Council that has yet to be fully published, even though there was a partial release of information when this judgement ( http://www.ico.gov.uk/~/media/documents ... 90744.ashx ) was appealed beyond the Office of the Information Commissioner?

There is plenty of smoke here, and with a bit of luck there will be no fire - but it's in the mixer, and has been for years now.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Apparently the supporters trust have not been caught napping by the LW 'development' (what development?) and are working with OUFC to raise funds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... 5_01_2013/ (start at about 27:00)

So either they know of half-a-dozen multi-millionaire OUFC fans who they hope to tap up for a couple of million quid each or the rest of us are going to have to buy a hell of a lot of mouse mats!