The Pitch

Anything yellow and blue
amershamwrighty
Puberty

The Pitch

Post by amershamwrighty »

I've just read the comments in the Oxford Times by Steven Moore, the MD of Sportsturf (the company brought in to manage the playing surface in the summer) in which he defends the state of the pitch on Tuesday.

Tried to post the link, but it didn't work for some reason.

He seems to think that the pitch has done 'very well indeed' and that he would give it a mark of '6 out of 10'.

Well, Mr Moore - I have occupied the same seat at the stadium since it opened and only once do I remember it being worse than Tuesday night and then only in one area of the pitch (in front of the South Stand). In all likelihood I have been watching My Beloved Football Team play on dodgy pitches all over the country since before you were born so I reckon I know a duff pitch when I see one.

Mr Moore, although on the one hand you may have the edge on me in terms of technical expertise, on the other hand may I respectfully suggest you are talking out of your a*se.
Roo
Mid-life Crisis

Re: The Pitch

Post by Roo »

I agree, although from where I sit the surface LOOKS okay it clearly isn't from the way the ball is bouncing/bobbling around.

I am rather confused also as to why he would think 6 out of 10 is acceptable?
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

The area in front of the away dugout is not acceptable by any standard, it looks like badgers have been foraging there.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Well I'm pretty sure we've never had a game called off for a waterlogged pitch since leaving the Manor. Until today of course.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

The sooner London Welsh fuck off the better :evil:
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Oh for goodness sake. Seven of the nine games in League Two were called off today, six out of ten in League One and ten out of eleven in the Conference. Talk about adding two and two and getting seven. This is not to say that I want London Welsh at the Kassam (particularly given the split ownership), just disputing the dubious causality.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

For a start why are a team with the words “Welsh
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

http&#58//www&#46rageonline&#46co&#46uk ... ws_id=3223
Fans view has an interesting discussion on the pitch issues which covers most of the questions.
With matches off across the country, the main blame for the postponement is the rain, but rugby on it definitely doesn't help the state of the pitch. Apparently the referee tried to bounce the ball on the pitch, but it just landed with a splat. The picture on the official website was of the boggy South Stand nearside touchline. Is this part of the pitch? Could they put astroturf down that part? It looks from the back of the OM stand that there is some sort of astroturf giving a bit more run off at the end of the pitch.

As already mentioned about five pages in on the Cymru Llundain thread, Swansea have a hybrid pitch designed to cope with both sports, which was relaid in the Summer.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Oh for goodness sake. Seven of the nine games in League Two were called off today, six out of ten in League One and ten out of eleven in the Conference. Talk about adding two and two and getting seven. This is not to say that I want London Welsh at the Kassam (particularly given the split ownership), just disputing the dubious causality.
No!! I'm with Kernow on this one, we water the pitch before every game, our pitch does not suffer from waterlogging, it never has. Those rugger buggers have buggered up the pitch good and proper.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:Oh for goodness sake. Seven of the nine games in League Two were called off today, six out of ten in League One and ten out of eleven in the Conference. Talk about adding two and two and getting seven. This is not to say that I want London Welsh at the Kassam (particularly given the split ownership), just disputing the dubious causality.
No!! I'm with Kernow on this one, we water the pitch before every game, our pitch does not suffer from waterlogging, it never has. Those rugger buggers have buggered up the pitch good and proper.
Added to which, of course, the amount of rain that has fallen recently really isn't any more than normal...The rugby may indeed make the pitch worse, but blaming that for the waterlogging is just embarrassing.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

I have it on reasonably good authority that the synthetic elements of the pitch are now almost worn out and those in charge of the facilities don't wish to replace these.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Very old news, Mr. Rambler. A more relevant and recent fact is that Sale Sharks are even more crap than London Welsh are so our ‘local’ but entirely franchised Rugby Club will probably survive in their version of ‘The Premiership’ and therefore will still be around this time next year messing up Oxford United’s playing surface.

It’s all very sad, so it’s the Mad Stad on Boxing Day for me until there is a proper regime change at OX4.

Happy Xmas to all.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

They will never catch West Brom!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Leyton Orient must be livid that other sports are played near their ground with tomorrow's game vs scum already called off...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

&quotSideshow Rob&quot wrote:They will never catch West Brom!
You may well be right about West Brom, Mr. C.

The highlight for me of an amazingly dull game this afternoon at the MadStad was starting up a chant of We’ll Never Come Here Again.