Apathy or Depression

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Apathy or Depression

Post by Mooro »

No new thread about the call-back for Mullins and the prospect of Raynes returning to the starting XI, or that we have not gone into the loan market again on deadline day (new club policy aside) to replace him or anyone else....

Almost as though fans have written off the season already, a pretty damning inditement of the underperformance this season has been and therefore I suspect the management themselves.....
tts back

Re: Apathy or Depression

Post by tts back »

Hate to say it but littlun has been trying to get me to attend for the last 4 home games,i was about to give in for the northampton game but now Mullins has gone back it seems very unlikely i will gve in..sorry but i just cannot justify paying good £££££ to listen to the crowd moaning and to witness yet another poor performance :(
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I suspect that CW was pushing for another loanee. After all Craddock and Smalley are both out for a month plus. Lenegan I assumehas says that it is your squad, there are enough fit players- get on with it.

But....we are weak at the back as Raynes and Worley seem to be to not be up to it. Up front- CW seems reluctrant to give Marsh any tinme at alkl on the pitch meaning that he has to play Potter there (ahead of JPP as well).

So without Mullins and Craddock, it will definitely be even more difficult for CW to turn things round. Not that in my view he can complain. Generally he has been backed to the hilt.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Apathy or depression? A bit of both from me. Though the apathy will give way to panic if we get any closer to the bottom of the table.

Losing Mullins is a massive, massive blow. But now CW needs to show what he can do with his own squad. With Dubes returning to fitness, there's no reason why we should have to be relying on loan defenders any more. We've still got a certain Arsenal central defender on loan, don't forget.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

I can't work out whether I'm too depressed to be apathetic, or too apathetic to be depressed.

The season does already feel over. I hope we put some effort into the cups for a bit of entertainment, maybe try and get the paint tin? I have no doubt that we'll avoid relegaion, but even the playoffs looks like a pipe dream now, let alone promotion.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Apathy or Depression?

And that's just the Hat League.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:I have no doubt that we'll avoid relegation
I'm sure I was still saying that in March 2006. Look where we were in November that season.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
I'm sure I was still saying that in March 2006. Look where we were in November that season.
The difference is that we were in a financial and management crisis back then. This time, we're nowhere near the first of those, and even if Wilder is replaced, if we repeat the proper selection process that we used to find him, then we won't get in a lunatic who replaces four of the team's best players with untried and ultimately useless 'favours for Harry' when all we needed was one point from four games.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Interesting to think what has happened to those teams since then. Ten are at Conference level or below or bust. A few have been down and back up. Some have been up and back down. Some have gone up and stayed up.
Is it only Barnet and Cheltenham as everpresents?
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
The difference is that we were in a financial and management crisis back then. This time, we're nowhere near the first of those, and even if Wilder is replaced, if we repeat the proper selection process that we used to find him, then we won't get in a lunatic who replaces four of the team's best players with untried and ultimately useless 'favours for Harry' when all we needed was one point from four games.
I agree with your post in general but is that stat right? We had 48 points after 42 games, got relegated with 49 points after 46 games but needed 52 points to stay up.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
The difference is that we were in a financial and management crisis back then.
I don't see much difference in our financial situation then to now. We have an owner who is cutting costs but still sustaining losses. Our debts are larger now than they were then, aren't they? And while I hope IL is more interested in OUFC's fortunes than FK ever seemed to be, I haven't seen much evidence of it recently.

As to a management crisis, I'm not sure what you mean. Jim messed up big time, for sure, but it was Talbot's tenure that got us deep into the mess in the first place. And no-one really spotted how badly wrong it was going then until after Christmas when he sold our best players. In November I'm sure we were all looking up the table and saying how a few wins would get us back towards the play-off places. Was the mistake the two changes in management, or the fact that we left it too late to make the original change? Who knows?

The biggest similarity between 2006 and now is the tightness of the league table. Often one or two teams struggle badly and get cut adrift, leaving the others in relative safety. That didn't happen in 2006, and it isn't happening now. We're currently on target for just under 51 points, and I wouldn't be too confident that that will be enough this year.
amershamwrighty
Puberty

Post by amershamwrighty »

Curiously, in a thread titled 'Apathy or Depression', I am encouraged - at last - that a sense of realism is present.

That league table from 2006 made me shiver. Whatever the differences in management quality and financial circumstances, it can happen to us again this season, and bloody well will if we aren't careful.

Still, if it does *gallows humour alert* at least we'll then have a manager with experience of getting out of the BSB Premiership.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:
Interesting to think what has happened to those teams since then. Ten are at Conference level or below or bust. A few have been down and back up. Some have been up and back down. Some have gone up and stayed up.
Is it only Barnet and Cheltenham as everpresents?
Cheltenham have been up and down since then, they got relegated the year we got promoted. Not sure about Barnet, think they haven't moved.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Depression most certainly. And I feel extremely apathetic. Yet I still go to every game - even the fecking JPT. (Have even booked time off work for Plymouth but the men in their white coats might have got hold of me before then if common sense has not kicked in)

And to make comments on a few other comments that have been made in this thread. I think Harry Worley is a better player than many give him credit for. Clearly CW doesn't rate him though. Mullins yes great player but neither he nor Jake are very tall and we still let goals in when they were playing together. Barnet last Tuesday including yet another from a corner. So that's possibly not quite the disaster we've told ourselves it probably is.
SWA
Puberty

Post by SWA »

@kernowyellow
Two changes in management? As far as I recall, we had two managers in the fateful 2005/2006 season namely Talbot and Jim Smith. Please correct me if I am wrong.