Left back in the dressing room

Anything yellow and blue

Should O'Brien's contract be extended when it expires in December?

Yes, he is the best LB we've got
11%
Yes, he is the 2nd best in that position, and sufficiently better than 3rd best to justify renewal
11%
Yes, he is the worst of the three LBs we have, but still worth renewing his deal
11%
No, he is the best LB we have, but he should still go to free up budget
No votes
No, he is the 2nd best in that position, but not sufficiently better than the 3rd to justify renewal
22%
No, he is the worst of the three, so should go
44%

Total votes: 9

Mooro
Grumpy old git

Left back in the dressing room

Post by Mooro »

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfordunited/10036865._/

The above article suggests that Liam O'Brien's contract expires in December and given that we already have two senior left backs in Capaldi &amp Davis, suggests that O'Brien could be released to free up money in the player budget.

Would O'Brien be missed, and if there was a choice would people prefer O'Brien or Capaldi to go, based on this season?

Just as a postscript, strikers aside, David Lynn is the most highly regarded of the current youth squad and is a left back, so for me, that certainly means to me that we dont need three senior left backs ahead of him. Unless, of course, there is a place for Davis on the left wing, and one of the others behind him, but even then Lynn could cover the remaining incumbent from the bench.....
Out of the gloom
Puberty

Re: Left back in the dressing room

Post by Out of the gloom »

A difficult decision. I don't see it as O'Brien or Capaldi. The later has a contract till the summer.

I was ambivalent about left back cover preseason and McGinty on loan. An extra midfielder on contract seemed more important whilst playing 433. Also, as Mooro states there is the prospect of Lynn, or even Wright to cover LB.

Individually, O'Brien has clearly been an improvement on the Man U youngster. A six month opportunity to earn a contract was good motivation.

Agree Davis could be more effective as LW than LB in 442. With Potter injured, this and Rigg switching to RW seems the best option within the current squad.

Ultimately it will be determined by finances. Securing Cox and Mullins are the greater priorities, as is returning Boateng early. If O'Brien can be retained till the end of season within budget, then that is a tick for continuity and ok by me. If not, a thank you and we wish him well.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

Getting Mullins should be the top priority - if we can. The more money that can be free'd up, the better.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

I was the person that voted he should stay despite being 3rd best, but I'm starting to lean towards he should go given Davies' apparent fitness...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

So by a score of 5.5 to 1.5 (to allow for JPMs dithering) it seems the supporters have spoken...sorry Liam