Managerial Merry-go-round

Anything yellow and blue
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: Managerial Merry-go-round

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:Seems like Westley has &quotstepped down&quot.
Would you take Westley (and his backroom team) for Wilder?
Presumably no compensation due to Preston, but could be on gardening leave?
Or would his wages be too high and does he see himself as managing at a higher level than L2?
I'd take Westley in a heartbeat - the stand out candidate I reckon.
PNE with debts of £40m|| was too big a job. I would not say he has failed.
John Ward won only one game in twenty before being fired by Col U last September and he is doing a good job at Bristol R.

Westley is not everyone's cup of tea - I know that.

Lenagan should embark on the short drive from Wigan to Preston
and find out what Westley wants to do.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Rumour abounds that, despite his claims to the oppopsite, he was interviewed for the job when CW landed it. And if the person I spoke to about it was correct, he was a total and utter... well, you can fill in the last bit yourself I think.

Baggage is the word here, would prefer someone coming in who didnt have chunks of the fanbase already against him...enough others around to not have to risk it.

Robins expected to be announced at Huddersfield tomorrow, was at their game last night after Coventry reluctantly gave in (bit of Odemwingie-ish desk clearing went on earlier in the day apparently, so many Sky Blues fans not best pleased to say the least). Would you take someone on who was happy to quit only five months into a role?
Seems I might be right with Blackpool (just too late to get to the Bookies on it), with Paul Ince alledgedly in for talks today.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

But every Manager has &quotbaggage&quot Mooro.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:Rumour abounds that, despite his claims to the oppopsite, he was interviewed for the job when CW landed it. And if the person I spoke to about it was correct, he was a total and utter... well, you can fill in the last bit yourself I think.
Winner ?
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:I'd take Westley in a heartbeat - the stand out candidate I reckon.
Oh, he's outstanding all right. The only person I would want less as our manager is Steve Cheaty McFraudster Evans.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotMyles Francis&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:I'd take Westley in a heartbeat - the stand out candidate I reckon.
Oh, he's outstanding all right. The only person I would want less as our manager is Steve Cheaty McFraudster Evans.
Currently clear favourite to take over at Notts County if Kiwomya is deemed not up to it - so beware, appears he is angling for a move......
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:Westley is not everyone's cup of tea - I know that.
That's where your wrong, with his great tactic of getting a player to feign an injury 30 mins into matches everyone would be able to get a cup of tea! I don't want a manager that advocates a tactic like that, blatently carries it out , and then vehemantly denies it, working at our club.

And I wouldn't really hold it against him but he did fail at Preston, he changed the whole squad bar two players and now they're in a relegation battle. He hasn't taken them very far backwords but he certainly hasn't taken them forwards.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Robins confirmed at Huddersfield, much to the disgust of those of a SKy Blue persuasion.

Lee Carsley appointed caretaker at the Ricoh and becomes favourite with the bookies, just ahead of the press favourite Phil Brown and Steve Pressley
Preston are said to already have a name in mind, with Simon Grayson odds on at the bookies. Interestingly Wycombe's Gareth Ainsworth's name being banded around a lot locally.
Meanwhile at the longer term vacancies:
My shout of Paul Ince annoyingly looks to be about to be confirmed at Blackpool.
Sammy Lee now odds on for Oldham with Iain Dowie the only other name in the frame
Chris Kiwomya also odds on Notts County, with Steve Evans the only other name at the bookies - er, come on Chris!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Ince to be confirmed at Blackpool tomorrow, which is very annoying cos he was on at least 20/1 when the idea first sprung into my head...

John Pemberton, currently asst at Forest is the surprise favourite for Coventry, with caretaker Carsley 2nd, Andy Morrell/Dickov/Phil Brown next
Chris Kiwomya still odds on at Notts County, with Steve Evans (a close friend of the chairman apparently) 2nd at 2s, Cottertill coming in at 6s, 25/1 Bar
Sammy Lee now only Evens for oldham, caretaker Tony Philliskirk now joint 2nd with Dowie at 4s, 25/1 Bar
Grayson massively odds on for Preston, Owen Coyle &amp Gary Flitcroft next and the Gareth Ainsworth

Would expect County and Preston go next, with Oldham probably waiting til after the replay, and who knows what is going on at Cov

BTW - todays papers have Wenger leaving, Moyes going to ARsenal, Martinez to Everton, GRaeme Jones stepping up at Wigan....
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

After much speculation, two appointments finally made today:
Paul Ince ends the wait at Blackpool, while Preston have acted very quickly to put Simon Grayson in to replace Mr Westley.

Of the others:
Oldham - caretaker Tony Philliskirk 2nd fave, splitting Sammy Lee and Iain Dowie
Notts C - caretaker Chris kiwomya still top, with Steve Cotterill joining Steve Evans as tipped replacements
Cov - caretaker Lee Carsley 2nd fave, behind John Pemberton with Morrell/Brown/Pressley next up but I doubt this will be a quick one.

Odds now also appearing for Leeds, with Neil Warnock more or less placing his own head on the block after the FA Cup defeat:
Nigel Adkins is hotly tipped to be being lined up, quite possibly very soon, with Karl Robinson/Neil Redfern/Owen Coyle also mentioned.

Oh, and David Holdsworth has been sacked at Lincoln in the Conference
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotMooro&quot wrote: Oh, and David Holdsworth has been sacked at Lincoln in the Conference
I'm surprised Holdsworth lasted this long at Sincil Bank.
What price his brother being sacked if the Shots lose at home to Torquay tomorrow night?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

It is with great sadness that another long-awaited decision reaches us:

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/sport/10235980._/

Next stop Leeds perhaps, or should Big Sam be worried?
Bet Dave Jones is glad Wednesday's form has picked up recently
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Deek jumps up into 2nd favourite for the Leeds job, interestingly all the online bookies have withdrawn their West Ham offerings...

Very early favourites for the Slumdon job (if the new owners dont persuade him to come back) are:
Deek's assistant Fabrizio Piccareta (though I would have thought they'll soon be somewhere else together), Mike Newell, Nigel Adkins and former players Paul Bodin &amp Dave Hockaday - now flying high with Forest Green,

BTW Phil Brown coming in for the Coventry job, though Leeds Asst John Pemberton still favourite for now
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Luton Town and Paul Buckle part company tonight.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

God, I've *almost* got fed up with laughing at Luton. Get it together guys!