Grumpy old git

Re: Managerial Merry-go-round

Post by Hog »

Evans to Eastleigh?
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Sacking season well and truly underway and it's not even October.

Graham Alexander is sacked by Fleetwood Town.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

OUFC4eva wrote:Sacking season well and truly underway and it's not even October.

Graham Alexander is sacked by Fleetwood Town.
from 16th on the list too - moves Appleton up to 38th longest serving.

Wilder joint 5th favourite for the Rotherham post at 20/1, with Ferguson, Clough & Redfearn at the head of the list. Appleton does not feature.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Newport County have this afternoon sacked manager Terry Butcher.
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

OUFC4eva wrote:Newport County have this afternoon sacked manager Terry Butcher.
Crikey, that didn't take them long - the new Supporter's Trust only took over today. Has to be the right move though - I saw their 0-3 home gubbing to York and they were dreadful.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34417221

GONE ! Butcher was appointed the day before we played at Newport
back in early May.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Crikey, that didn't take them long - the new Supporter's Trust only took over today. Has to be the right move though - I saw their 0-3 home gubbing to York and they were dreadful.
Really? Newport already have precious little budget and now they have to pay off a manager who's 12 games into a 2 year contract.

Furthermore they have to try to persuade a decent manager to join a club with a conference squad (that's yet to gel), at the bottom of League 2, with probably no budget for signings apart from loanees. Seems like a very bad decision to me...
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Crikey, that didn't take them long - the new Supporter's Trust only took over today.
I presume they got him to pay for his shares before they gave him the boot?!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

joepoolman wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Really? Newport already have precious little budget and now they have to pay off a manager who's 12 games into a 2 year contract.

Furthermore they have to try to persuade a decent manager to join a club with a conference squad (that's yet to gel), at the bottom of League 2, with probably no budget for signings apart from loanees. Seems like a very bad decision to me...
Two others have left as well as Butcher (Russell Osman and another), so could be quite costly.

However, I would guess they are going to go down the player manager route, though saying that defender Matt Taylor is the only one over 30 in the squad and he's only been there since the summer, so maybe not. Chances are however, that they already have someone lined up.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Doncaster favourite still Darren Ferguson, with c/t Rob Jones now 2nd along with Neil Redfearn & Steve Evans.
More interestingly, Steve Evans and Paulo di Canio top the list for Fleetwood (gawd 'elp 'em), ahead of Ian Holloway and Paul Scholes...
Rotherham is a three-way battle between Ferguson, Redfearn & Clough,
No odds yet for Oldham or Newport
Kairdiff Exile
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Kairdiff Exile »

joepoolman wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:

True, but keeping a manager who has proved himself clearly incapable would leave them in a worse position. Paying him off will be costly, I agree, but it's only just October and the right appointment could see them stay up - whereas keeping Butcher means relegation is certain. I don't hold out much hope for them surviving, but when a manager consistently makes a side play like less than the sum of its parts, they're on borrowed time.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
New appointment didnt take long either - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34419139

John Sheridan takes charge after leaving Plymouth in the summer
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Premier sack race takes its first victim with Advocaat standing down at Sunderland - wonder how many will follow in the next couple of days??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34437620
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Rodgers sacked at Liverpool. (Seems a little harsh given he got an away draw in the derby, and still only 4 points off second).
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Jimski wrote:Rodgers sacked at Liverpool. (Seems a little harsh given he got an away draw in the derby, and still only 4 points off second).
Too big (headed) for Swansea, too small for Liverpool. Amazed it’s taken so long. He’s an excellent coach, that’s all.