Managerial Merry-go-round

Anything yellow and blue
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Re: Managerial Merry-go-round

Post by Radley Rambler »

SmileyMan wrote:So who currently fits the 'perfect' profile to replace Wilder?

1) Out of contract - we can't afford compensation
2) Experience at Championship/League One level - we should be aiming for promotion and have the knowledge bank to keep us up
3) Ability to work with existing squads and a tight budget rather than blowing a big wad on bringing in a new bunch of players

I'm not going to comment on styles, because I don't hold a lot of store by what whinging fans of other clubs say about their ex-managers, and we'll get what we get.

Ince and Lomas come to mind immediately, but I'm sure there's loads others.
Yikes - shame on those that called for Wilder's head if that's the best we can hope for.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

SmileyMan wrote:So who currently fits the 'perfect' profile to replace Wilder?

1) Out of contract - we can't afford compensation
2) Experience at Championship/League One level - we should be aiming for promotion and have the knowledge bank to keep us up
3) Ability to work with existing squads and a tight budget rather than blowing a big wad on bringing in a new bunch of players

I'm not going to comment on styles, because I don't hold a lot of store by what whinging fans of other clubs say about their ex-managers, and we'll get what we get.

Ince and Lomas come to mind immediately, but I'm sure there's loads others.
Paul Sturrock fits all the criteria
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

He'd be great, did well at Plymouth and OK at Southend
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Agreed - the best suggestion I've heard so far although his son would inevitably end up playing for us. That must be odd at a professional club, it's one thing for it to occur at Summertown Stars v Quarry Boys but at a professional outfit......
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Radley Rambler wrote:Agreed - the best suggestion I've heard so far although his son would inevitably end up playing for us. That must be odd at a professional club, it's one thing for it to occur at Summertown Stars v Quarry Boys but at a professional outfit......
Yeah, but Blair Sturrock is better than Emiliano Diaz...
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Kernow Yellow wrote:
Radley Rambler wrote:Agreed - the best suggestion I've heard so far although his son would inevitably end up playing for us. That must be odd at a professional club, it's one thing for it to occur at Summertown Stars v Quarry Boys but at a professional outfit......
Yeah, but Blair Sturrock is better than Emiliano Diaz...
Yep - in the same way as a punch in the stomach is better than a kick in the nuts.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Dr Bob »

Seems to me the merry go round image is perfect for CW just now - going round in circles, not knowing when to get off.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Typical - go away for the weekend and all hell breaks loose - oh and Stuart Gray gets a new job too!!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Interesting looking at the bookies list for us, in connection with the other two positions currently available:

Us - Allen (2-4/1) , Lewis(3-4/1) Boothroyd(5s), Tisdale(5s) and O'Driscoll(6-8s) lead the pack //
then come a group comprising Kitson, Saunders, yates, Calderwood, Waddock, Edinburgh, Fowler, Windass & Appleton ranging between 12 & 20/1
then another batch of Laws, J Coleman, D Wilson, Megson, Beattie, S Thompson, Mellon, Hockaday & Wince with odds in the 20s
(I am ignoring BetVictor in this who have everyone (including the world and his wife) at 33/1 bar the top half dozen or so)

Blackpool - Barry Ferguson is odds on, from Paul Hartley( just left Alloa after two successive promotions) , Mike Appleton & Owen Coyle
Shrews - caretaker Mike Jackson is 3/1 behind O'Driscoll who is odds on. fowler is at 8s, Appleton 10s, Ian Woan 12s with Yates,Saunders & Edinburgh next up.

SO, we may have to move quick to get SOD (if we want him), though Hartley may be an interesting choice.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Michael ruddy Appleton again! Can someone please tell me why he is so popular?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Mooro wrote:
Us - Allen (2-4/1) , Lewis(3-4/1) Boothroyd(5s), Tisdale(5s) and O'Driscoll(6-8s) lead the pack //
As of this evening, this leading pack has extended to seven, including a new entry at No 1:
Kevin Kean (2-3/1), Lewis (3s), Allen (5s), Boothroyd (8s), Tisdale (10s), O'Driscoll (12s), Nicky Law (6s to 16s) 20/1 Bar these

FYI - Kean was 1st team coach at West Ham from 06-11, then at Liverpool, then WBA, the latter two with Steve Clarke, leaving the Hawthorns when Clarke departed.
O'Driscoll remains favourite to take the Shrews job.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

For those rushing to Wikipedia (hands up here!) It's Kevin Keen...

No idea where his name has sprung up from - assume he's been seen coming for an interview?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Does anyone know a site where I can view the final odds vs outcome on bets? It would be interesting to see how much money is waged on these bets by 'people in the know'.

In a separate question, I know it is illegal / against the rules of the game for players and staff involved in a match to bet on it, but are there any rules stoping, say, agents or managers betting on who will take over at a club?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

recordmeister wrote:Does anyone know a site where I can view the final odds vs outcome on bets? It would be interesting to see how much money is waged on these bets by 'people in the know'.

In a separate question, I know it is illegal / against the rules of the game for players and staff involved in a match to bet on it, but are there any rules stoping, say, agents or managers betting on who will take over at a club?
Nope, they are unregulated 'caveat emptor' markets, e.g. a total mugs game
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I bet the fraud office would like a list of people in the know betting too!

Betfair do a price graph of odds, but that relies on them offering a market. Also it disappears soon after the market is shut. It works ok, until minutes before a result the graph will spike between 1.01 and 1000