Knives through butter

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Knives through butter

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I had to check that I hadn't gone to the wrong stadium today, as we found our team in yellow could indeed play football. And proper 4-4-2 football at that.

No one could have complained had we netted 10 times such was our dominance, and Accy have their keeper to thank for keeping the score down.

Whing has made such a difference on his return and was calm and solid and strong and his qualities were like penicillin running through the side's veins obliterating any thoughts of illness.

Some fine performances throughout the side. I thought Beano was excellent, as was Alfie, and the aforementioned Whing. Mullins is clearly a centre back and not a full back and did very well. Rigg was superb. But performance of the day has to go to Craddock who ran all day, and had that magic touch such that you could easily believe that he would score every time he touched the ball.

I also have to say that the midfield looked a lot better without Chapman.

I'm told that was our biggest league win for 11 years. Can't be bad. I'm looking forward to the long trip to Rochdale now.
Dr Bob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Knives through butter

Post by Dr Bob »

I agree completely. OK, so Stanley were very poor, but five goals do not score themselves. Afterwards, CW talked about a period in the second half where we were totally dominant, but I thought there was a period in the first half we were more so. Not only did TC get a hattrick, but (oh the joy of sitting in the SSU), some of the interlinking and overlapping play down our left (for which Rigg was indeed superb) was a joy to watch. Given how fragile confidence has been, I felt at half time that if we relaxed and conceded we could still crumble, so I was relieved to see us keep at it - maybe not with quite the same intensity, but still going forwards. Interviews afterwards spoke of TC and Beano defending from the front, but Alfie was excellent as well, chasing down their defenders as well as when going forward with the ball. A very happy drive home, for a change.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

As has ben said, considering the game at PV and particularly the way that confidence seemed to drop so much after their second goal, the performance was a revelation.

I expected it to be a hard faught and nervy tense affair. If I was the Accy manager I would have said to the players to go for us and try to get an early goal- in which case we may have had the stuffing knocked out of us.

But... a high quality performance. Sure Accy weren't great but looking at their record they are no mugs- they had won 3 out of 6 before yesterday's game away from home.

I thought that Rigg and Alfie were outstanding but Beano was back to his best and Craddock what can you say? He played really well in his general play. Holding it up well bringing other players into the game and harrssing their defenders. The 4 goals made it an outstanding personal performance from him.

A couple of other mentions. Their keeper was excellent. By far their man of the match with 5-6 outstanding saves. Oh and Peter Leven showed what we have missed this season. His passes to Potter for his goal and to Beano for his attampt (yet another outstanding save) could not have been done by many players in this Division.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Oh and Peter Leven showed what we have missed this season. His passes to Potter for his goal and to Beano for his attampt (yet another outstanding save) could not have been done by many players in this Division.
Many or any other? I thought it was worth going yesterday just for that one pass to Potter, and I'm honestly wondering if anyone in England saw a better pass than that yesterday, and the one to Beano was almost as good.

I couldn't quite believe how many times the ball bounced inside the Accrington box in the first half, but we took full advantage. I pretty much agree with all the other things that have been said, but I'd like to mention the Accrington fans, while they don't impress numerically, when it comes to spirit, support and voice they're second to none imo.

Only one slight negative, I'm not sure if I'll ever see Andy Whing score (at the right end anyway)!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

It was good wasn't it? The whole performance I mean. But was it only me who had their fingers crossed for a fourth goal to make it safe?!?! :lol:
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Agree with pretty much all of what has been said on here. Like this very much from GY - &quotWhing has made such a difference on his return and was calm and solid and strong and his qualities were like penicillin running through the side's veins obliterating any thoughts of illness.&quot

But - and the Fan's View is on its way through the system towards being uploaded - I have a different view on their keeper. Yes he made some superb saves but he should have held the first, he was beaten at his near post for the second and he just stood still when the 4th went in.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The Samaritans held a bucket collection pre-match, and handed me a sticker, saying &quotour 'phone number is on there if you need to call us after the game&quot. :shock:
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Ah, that's why radiohead drummer Phil selway was there. I sat behind him and his family in the ssu.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Yes, what a great day. Due to a heavy workload / travel, the only games I've seen this season are the 1st three and this one. I think I might ask the club to give me an honourary season ticket as a result!

1. I'm a convert to the SSU. So hard to really (and I mean really) watch players movement and positioning from behind the goal. However, away games I much prefer the atmosphere behind the goal.

2. 442. Do I need to say much more? Players 100% understand their positions and, when in a serious injury crisis, it makes it so much easier for a player to cover a position which they normally wouldn't find themselves in. Eg. Chappers playing right back yesterday. In a 442, all he has to do for 10 - 15 mins is stop their wingers and then when he gets the ball, either play it inside to the CB's or play it down the line. In a 433, he's got to work out when to go up the line, when to stay etc etc. I'm no fan of 433, but the with right players who understand it, it can really work. With a bunch of injuries, never.

3. The attacking 4 (SR, AP, JC, TC). Maybe they actually watched the PV game on Sky|| at home and saw what little effort they put in there and so actually worked this week. All were exceptional.

4. The midfield. Didn't even notice Cox in the 1st half (which is a good thing) as he just got on and did his job. JFC was excellent but I still think PL is a better ball player. He's still a way off tho. Looks as big as me at the moment!!

5. The defence. A great save from a certain og by RC. TCap was awesome 1st half. Esp his pass for the 2nd goal (I think it was). And the 2 CBs... Well, does JW even get back in the team??

I said to a footballing friend this week that the last thing we needed was a run of draws and loses peppered with big wins. Either things change and we turn a corner and win, win, win. Or we lose, lose, lose. A constant vote of confidence in CW from IL won't do anyone any good. Either it turns and he's the saviour again, or we carry on falling and he goes. I dearly hope that it's the 1st of these, not the latter. But if we carry on bumping along between draws, loses and the odd big win, it'll be very painful.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

&quotHog&quot wrote:Christ, I'm depressed again now!

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... ws_id=3194
the number was 08457 90 90 90
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

Apart from playing two upfront allowing Beano to play slightly deeper and run the channels (broken record blah blah blah....), the main difference was no Batt.

No Batt meant our predictable swing a long diagonal ball out right to an advanced Batt (with the frequent result of an unsuccesful attempt to beat a defender or a poor cross to follow) was not available to our midfield.

So we had to rely on Rigg or Alfie do it in equal measure, on the whole from shorter passes, down the flanks.

As a result we looked a much better balanced side and less predictable which clicked against poor opposition.

And there was I thinking my first post of the season was going to be on how we will never learn to attack and score goals under CW and 2 defensive coaches.

Please Please Please stick with a winning team and formation CW. Prove to us that you do not have to be Mr Tinkerman.

We have never had a settled strike partnership under CW from Christmas to the run in. Craddock and Beano could be it if he keeps the faith.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

I think it very unfair to 'blame' the good performance on not having Batt. I believe that he didn't play against Port Vale either?

Regarding tinkering, I would bring Wright in instead of Raynes (on the basis that in my view Wright has been by far our best player this season). If fit leven for JFC, but I suspect that leven will not be fully fit.