Have I Got Old News For You

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Have I Got Old News For You

Post by slappy »

It's that time of year again, when newspapers and websites around the world celebrate the anniversary of Oxford United 2 - Manchester United 0.
The Guardian are first up.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Oxford United get an honourable mention by the Liverpool Echo, the defeat of Everton helping Liverpool on their way to a league and cup double in 1986.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

This week's celebrity fan is Clive Peedell, founder of the National Health Action party, according to The Guardian.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Anyone remember 'Arry's first ever game as manager? (I don't count games as assistant manager at Oxford City etc.)
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The Stoke Sentinel talk about their finest midfield in history, including Arthur Turner
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

David Bentley's professional football debut for Arsenal was in the FA Cup 3rd round tie in January 2003. OUFC have not made the 3rd round since.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The Romford Recorder's Trevor Davies retires from reporting about Leyton Orient after nearly 25 years. He rates the most dramatic of all games as &quotthe 3-2 success at Oxford United on the final day of the 2005-06 season when Lee Steele’s last-gasp goal clinched promotion. Sweet memories.&quot

tosser!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Brilliant stuff Slappy.
Where do you get the time?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

The Liverpool Echo talk about &quotFortress Goodison&quot, and remember 1999/2000 when Everton got to March without a home defeat in the league, but luckily didn't forget to mention this game in the League Cup.

Lowly Oxford United? That was when we were in the third tier!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:The Liverpool Echo talk about &quotFortress Goodison&quot, and remember 1999/2000 when Everton got to March without a home defeat in the league, but luckily didn't forget to mention this game in the League Cup.

Lowly Oxford United? That was when we were in the third tier!
Seem to remember we played three at the back totalling over 100yrs between them: Robbo, Davis &amp Mickey Lewis....
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Brilliant stuff Slappy.
Where do you get the time?
I'm glad you like these old stories. It's just a news search I have set up for &quotOxford United&quot, and the only time consuming part is creating the hyperlinks to players/opponents/matches.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

From the Leicester Mercury (re Leicester City)
Drawing Burton Albion at home in the FA Cup was a big coincidence, as they had been our League Cup conquerors in August. As we also met them in a preseason friendly, the clubs might be getting sick of the sight of each other.

This last happened in the 1987-88 season when City drew Oxford United, who were above us in the top flight, away in the League Cup.

A creditable 0-0 draw at the Manor Ground meant a replay and it was looking good for City when two great goals from Mike Newell put them 2-0 up within half-an-hour.

But a poor defensive display allowed Oxford back in and they scored an 89th-minute winner. The FA Cup draw gave City a chance for revenge, pairing us with Oxford again, at their legoland-style Manor Ground.

New boss David Pleat gambled on playing a slightly injured Russell Osman in defence and it didn't pay off.

This being the more turbulent times of the 1980s, some members of the large 3,200 travelling army of City fans didn't take this FA Cup exit very well and climbed up, and also leapt off, one of the floodlight pylons.

There was also damage to the ground and surrounding properties, as well as one City fan being arrested for trying to steal the match ball.

The cup meeting with Burton in January should be calmer with a better result for City.
Copyright (c) Northcliffe Newspapers Group Limited 2012
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:From the Leicester Mercury (re Leicester City)
Drawing Burton Albion at home in the FA Cup was a big coincidence, as they had been our League Cup conquerors in August. As we also met them in a preseason friendly, the clubs might be getting sick of the sight of each other.

This last happened in the 1987-88 season when City drew Oxford United, who were above us in the top flight, away in the League Cup.

A creditable 0-0 draw at the Manor Ground meant a replay and it was looking good for City when two great goals from Mike Newell put them 2-0 up within half-an-hour.

But a poor defensive display allowed Oxford back in and they scored an 89th-minute winner. The FA Cup draw gave City a chance for revenge, pairing us with Oxford again, at their legoland-style Manor Ground.

New boss David Pleat gambled on playing a slightly injured Russell Osman in defence and it didn't pay off.

This being the more turbulent times of the 1980s, some members of the large 3,200 travelling army of City fans didn't take this FA Cup exit very well and climbed up, and also leapt off, one of the floodlight pylons.

There was also damage to the ground and surrounding properties, as well as one City fan being arrested for trying to steal the match ball.

The cup meeting with Burton in January should be calmer with a better result for City.
Copyright (c) Northcliffe Newspapers Group Limited 2012
We'd played them at home the last game of the previous season too - a very bad-tempered 0-0 draw, in which Dean Saunders got sent off for fighting and left the pitch with blood on his shirt, iirc.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

That was my first ever game - it's been pretty much downhill ever since!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Leicester City was my first away game. 13/02/71. I was on coach no 15, yes coach no 15. I had to walk pretty much to the other end of Lime walk to get to it.