Have I Got Old News For You

Anything yellow and blue
slappy
Grumpy old git

Re: Have I Got Old News For You

Post by slappy »

Fascinating story about the time Harry Redknap pulled a fan from the crowd to play for West Ham against Oxford United in a pre-season game at Court Place Farm.
andy james womble
Brat

Post by andy james womble »

was at that game but don't recall that at all
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I wasn't at the game but do re-call the story. I'm surprised that for all his research the author never mentioned that 'arry began his managerial career as assistant manager to West Ham legend Bobby Moore at ... Oxford City!

I thought a good place to try and find a reference to the original incident would be WSC so I searched 'Harry Redknapp Oxford City' on their website. I didn't find anything about the playing supporter but I did find this (scroll down to seventh letter) which you may (or may not!) find interesting...

http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/38-rea ... rs-wsc-196

I'd completely forgotten it! I'm not sure why I made reference to St Lucia as I'm pretty sure Bobby Moore was actually away filming Escape To Victory but the rest of it is correct!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

A good story, but I'm not sure why the author is bigging up its supposed obscurity - I thought it was a very well-known tale? I have certainly been aware of it since it happened, and I wasn't at the game.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

From the Evening Times
Billy Simpson

Evening Times: Simpson was prolific goalscorer for Gers
Dec. 12 (Evening Times) -- BILLY SIMPSON signed for Rangers in 1950 for a then club record of pound(s)11,500 and went on to have an excellent scoring record during his nine years at Ibrox...

WILLIAM SIMPSON (Cumbernauld) - I was recently looking through an old football annual and I came across an article which mentioned a Rangers player named Billy Simpson. Although he is my namesake, I don't know of any family connection, but I would be grateful if you could give me some information about his Ibrox career.

Billy was born in Belfast in 1929 and joined Rangers from Linfield in 1950.

He was an excellent centre-forward and, in his nine years at Ibrox, he made 239 first-team appearances and scored 163 goals.

His trophy haul included one Scottish Cup and three League Championship medals.

After leaving Rangers in 1959, he had short spells at Stirling Albion, Partick Thistle and Oxford United.

He was capped 12 times for Northern Ireland and scored five goals, including a superb diving header against England in a 3-2 victory at Wembley in 1957.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Mathew Major, apparently a sponsor of Oxford United in the late 1980s, has been appointed chairman of the Sussex County FA.

I've never heard of him. Anyone got any info on his sponsorship?
andy james womble
Brat

Post by andy james womble »

don't ring a bell with me mate
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Perhaps he bought us a match ball?
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Jan. 27 (Daily Mail) --
RAY HOUGHTON went straight into the Liverpool team when he left Oxford United on October 19, 1987.

His first game was away at Luton Town. Alarmed at not working through set-pieces in the Friday training session, he asked manager Kenny Dalglish what he should do. 'You're a Liverpool player now,' replied Dalglish. 'You should know what to do.'

The same goes for Manchester United's [pounds]37m signing Juan Mata. There should not even be a question of whether he plays against Cardiff City tomorrow night. He is the most expensive player in the history of England's most successful club. If he cannot fit straight in, they have made a mistake.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Hog wrote:Perhaps he bought us a match ball?
At the end of a rubbish day, this gave me a two minute chuckle - thanks!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I was chatting to an Everton fan on Saturday night and he told me the reason for so many scousers being called Kevin was due to the backpass in this game, the 5th round league cup tie in January 1984. United were leading 1-0 until Brock made a back pass with seven minutes to go, allowing an Adrian Heath equaliser. Everton went on to win the replay 4-1, finishing runners up in the league cup, winning the FA Cup that season, with FA Cup final appearances in the next two seasons, and league champions in 1984/85 and 1985/86. They say that their upturn in fortunes is all down to that backpass.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

The Brocky back pass is legendary amongst Everton supporters. It's been acknowledged a few times by Evertonians whom I've met. The story has even been passed down a generation, recited by those who weren't around at the time. For me, it still hurts. The names Irvine and Heath still put my hackles up. However, the subsequent Les Philips goal went some way to repairing the damage. Hard to accept that 30 years have since passed.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

slappy wrote: Everton went on to win the replay 4-1, finishing runners up in the league cup, winning the FA Cup that season, with FA Cup final appearances in the next two seasons, and league champions in 1984/85 and 1985/86. They say that their upturn in fortunes is all down to that backpass.
I thought Liverpool did the double in 85/86? They couldn't play themselves in the Charity Shield and so we though the obvious solution would be for them to play the winners of the third major competition (who could that have been?) but no, it was decided they should play Everton who had won ... NOTHING!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Malcolm Crosby talks of the last time Sunderland reached a cup final in 1992 the Daily Mail, mentions to David Rush, Denis Smith, Martin Gray, a defeat to Oxford United in the league, and a win against us in the Cup.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

On this day in 1973, Sunderland player Jim Montgomery made his 459th first-team appearance in a 1-0 home win over Oxford United, beating Len Ashurst’s club record. link here.