Likely candidates

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Likely candidates

Post by Mooro »

Should the axe fall, then who is out there that might become candidates for the selection process this time round:

For this I'm using the odds available on other current vacancies, rather than wishlists, but still makes interesting reading:

CHesterfield : Sean Dyche (ex-Watfod), Tom Wright (caretaker) 2 // Brian Laws 6// Chris Turner (Chairman), Flitcroft 10 // Wilder 12 //

Bury : McIlroy 7/2 // N Worthington 4 // Henning Berg, Phil Brown 8 // Andy Thorne, Flitcroft, Shirtliff, Money

AFC W: Andy Scott Evens // L Sanchez 7 // Brian Reid, D Wise, Dyche, Cotterill 10 // Magiliton, P Brown 12

Wycombe: B Laws 6 // Ince, Dyche 7 // A Scott, Megson 9 // Thorne, Flitcroft, Wilder 10 // Sanchez, Taylor 12

An interesting variation from post to post, with some only cropping up in one list, while others are more regular, but from those I'd suggest our list would feature Dyche, Laws &amp Andy Scott (there's one for the ex-player romantisists) and no doubt Paul Ince's name would crop up, perhaps with Cotterill and Phil Brown as well. Also, talking of ex-players, would Magilton be interested in dropping this far down the ladder while I imagine Mike Ford would on their and, based on his experience at Old Woodstock, don't discount young Simon Lenaghan.......
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Re: Likely candidates

Post by Dartford Ox »

I would discount anybody previously associated with the club - playing or staff. Decisions should be based on competence, not the old pals act.

I also think paying compensation to another club is not really necessary when so many people are available.

My personal choice would be Sean Dyche - local, free agent, and know to be competent up to Championship level.

Plucking somebody from the lower leagues - I would probably go for Justin Edinburgh.

And lastly - a name for discussion.

Hope Powell.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

For the love of god, can we PLEASE not start a bandwagon to appoint a former player/hero as our new manager. Look at the last few times we did that - Shotton, Mark Wright, Jim Smith. The thing you'll notice with all of those is that they didn't do very well.

Whatever else one says about Wilder, he was appointed following a proper recruitment process involving several candidates which resulted in him being seen as the best person for the job. We should follow exactly the same approach again this time - work out the criteria for the 'right' manager, and then interview to get someone with those skills.

What we shouldn't do (and I know Mooro wasn't explicitly suggesting we do it - but others have been) is to say &quotAh yes, Magilton was a good player for us, let's have him&quot when he very probably wouldn't be the right appointment.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Is there a vacancy to fill?
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

Merely contingency planning.

Or this that banned from discussion as well.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote: Or this that banned from discussion as well.
Eh?
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:I would discount anybody previously associated with the club - playing or staff. Decisions should be based on competence, not the old pals act.
If Magilton or Aldo applied, you'd turn 'em down would you? It is possible to be compentent AND previously associated with the club.

(edited for spelling)
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
Eh?

Not sure which bit your querying - my mis-type 'Or is that' or were you trying to kill a thread on a forum that has recently been complaining about the lack of activity. It seemed that way to me.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:
&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:I would discount anybody previously associated with the club - playing or staff. Decisions should be based on competence, not the old pals act.
If Magilton or Aldo applied, you'd turn 'em down would you? It is possible to be compentent AND previously associated with the club.

(edited for spelling)
Yes.

I don't think Aldo particularly excelled at Tranmere and I prefer to remember him as our best (2nd best?) striker ever. I believe his reputation could be sullied in the same manner Jim Smith's was.

With Magilton it is probably pure prejudice on my part. I find his monotone accent (and Pattersons) very hard to understand. I prefer not to listen to him.
Joey's Toe
Puberty

Post by Joey's Toe »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:And lastly - a name for discussion.

Hope Powell.
Spookily, I had a discussion the other day with someone on that very suggestion. I would imagine she could - if she so wishes - manage a league club at a significantly higher level than Oxford United. However, if she was interested I'd absolutely give her an interview.
OUFanatic
Toddler

Post by OUFanatic »

[quote=&quotGodalmingYellow&quot]Is there a vacancy to fill?[/quote]

I believe that there will be should we lose on saturday. Even CW cant survive six straight losses.
JoeyBeauchamp
Dashing young thing

Post by JoeyBeauchamp »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:

(edited for spelling)
Exactly. Magilton and Andy Scott have proven track records - certainly better credentials than Shotton or Wright. A knowledge for the club can only be a benefit too.
joepoolman
Mid-life Crisis

Post by joepoolman »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote: And lastly - a name for discussion.

Hope Powell.
A very interesting suggestion, but would she really leave her job in charge of one of the biggest national teams (maybe 5th behind mens, u21s, rugby and cricket?) to come to a 4th tier mens team.

And while I'm sure she's probably a very good manager I think 2 problems could be:
1. Does she have any League 2 knowledge? Possibly but seems unlikely.
2. Personally I wouldn't want the media circus that would follow her/the club.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
Eh?

Not sure which bit your querying - my mis-type 'Or is that' or were you trying to kill a thread on a forum that has recently been complaining about the lack of activity. It seemed that way to me.
Not sure what you're on, but I don't want any!

I was questioning why you think there is a ban on any discussion on this forum.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotOUFanatic&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Is there a vacancy to fill?

I believe that there will be should we lose on saturday. Even CW cant survive six straight losses.
I'm inclined to agree.

Many of us have said he should be given time, but we expect some wins and draws in that period, not perpetual losses.