Where are they now?

Anything yellow and blue
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re: Where are they now?

Post by Hog »

No idea now but when Bobby Moore was manager at City (79-80 ish - can't remember now!) we played in the Anglo Italian tournament against teams from Serie C and City were in the Isthmian Premier at the time. We travelled with Poole Town who were then Southern League Premier: I'm guessing they'd both be lower Conference Regional or upper part of the feeder league below that now. I think City drew the two home games and then we lost the first away game 0-6 but won the second one.

Ancient Colin may have a better idea of the relative current standards.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Not really no great knowledge. I think it is pretty weak, certainly below Lega Pro Prima. Lega Pro Seconda is regionalised, around 40 teams, I guess they are probably semi-pro. There are a number of former top division sides down there but mostly they've gone bankrupt or folded and are playing in decaying stadiums. I went to see Como (in Serie A as recently as 2001, but collapsed and bust in mid-2000s but now in Lega Pro Prima, getting crowds of around 2000 I think) a few years ago after their reformation and it was absolutely terrible, it felt sub-conference. But who knows what an outsider would make of the fare we watch?!

Of other ex-Ox players, recall Craig Davies going to Hellas Verona? They're currently 5th in Serie A, which is a bit bizarre.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Joel Ledgister has just move from Hampton & Richmond to Dulwich Hamlet.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Ancient Colin wrote:Not really no great knowledge. I think it is pretty weak, certainly below Lega Pro Prima. Lega Pro Seconda is regionalised, around 40 teams, I guess they are probably semi-pro. There are a number of former top division sides down there but mostly they've gone bankrupt or folded and are playing in decaying stadiums. I went to see Como (in Serie A as recently as 2001, but collapsed and bust in mid-2000s but now in Lega Pro Prima, getting crowds of around 2000 I think) a few years ago after their reformation and it was absolutely terrible, it felt sub-conference. But who knows what an outsider would make of the fare we watch?!

Of other ex-Ox players, recall Craig Davies going to Hellas Verona? They're currently 5th in Serie A, which is a bit bizarre.
Seems he is on a pro deal of some sort, according to his Wikipedia page at least:
"After only one month and a half with KSK Heist, both Alex Fisher and Fergus Bell got the opportunity to sign professional deals with Italian Lega Pro side A.C. Monza Brianza 1912. Heist came to an agreement with AC Monza, and allowed both players to move on to Italy to continue their careers at a professional level."

Lega Pro Prima is what was Serie C1, Lega Pro Seconda is what was Serie C2.
His willingness to go anywhere, adn try things like the Glenn Hoddle Academy, to continue his career has always impressed me, to the point that he is the one I would be most interested to see back in England/OUFC to see what could do. Whether he'd come back is another matter...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Another loan away from Mansfield for Adam Murray: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24869779
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Mooro wrote:Another loan away from Mansfield for Adam Murray: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24869779
It's a rum business and no mistake! Here's the original story in case you missed it ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24531963
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Jamie Hand has gone on loan to Southport from Stockport.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

http://nonleague.pitchero.com/news/burg ... ool-26971/#_

Andy Burgess gets his big move to Liverpool - AFC Liverpool that is!
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

slappy wrote:Mark E'Beyer, Oxford United 2004-2006, after a season out of the game, has been persuaded to pull on his boots on again for Godmanchester Rovers of the Eastern Counties League (Premier Division) - step 5 of non-league, the Conference Premier being step 1.
Update on E'Beyer talking about his career.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

andy james womble wrote:Phil Wilson is in goal for Dulwich Hamlet
..http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ear ... .html?vp=1
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Leo Roget, Oxford United 2004-06, is set to make his pro boxing debut.
captainox
Toddler

Post by captainox »

Laurence Gaughan who made no appearances after joing in December 2010 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 310833.stm) is now playing for Worksop Town in the EvoStick Premier.

One time triallist central defender Gavin Caines is now at Rushall Olympic.

Mitchell Hanson who made two appearances in the 2010/11 season is now at Gresley in the Northern Premier League Divsion One South..
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

The 'Beast' has had enough of his long term injury problems and at 32 looks set to retire from football. A classic old fashioned centre half who was not afraid to take (or give) a knock. I really hope he doesn't 'fall out of love with football' like he states in this article as he'd make a great motivator and defensive coach. Very sad to read the piece below.

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/129234 ... tball.aspx
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

That's a real shame and sad to read. Probably deserves a thread of it's own.

Whole-hearted and totally committed when playing but seems to have given up now - doesn't sound like him at all! Good luck to him - one of my favourite players from the CONference era and a nice bloke too by all accounts.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

slappy wrote:
andy james womble wrote:Oldham athletic have signed Danny Philliskirk
Danny scored two goals in the JPT for Oldham against Shrewsbury.
He's scored ten for the season now. Interview with his father Tony in the Oldham Evening Chronicle.