Board sillly (III)

Anything yellow and blue
Snake
Grumpy old git

Board sillly (III)

Post by Snake »

First Kelvin, now Jim have left the Board.

WTF is really going on here?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: Board sillly (III)

Post by ty cobb »

I noticed the OxVox comment was particularly enlightening on the subject.

“The key thing is the owner of the football club is still committed to the football club, so from our point of view that is all you could ask,
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

The Oxford Mail don't seem to be leaving this one alone.

Do they smell a story, or are they just trying to fill space?
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I certainly noticed that OxVox were extremely quick in their official response, which strongly suggests that they are either very stupid or know something that we donÔÇÖt know and were well briefed by our Rent Boy owner ahead of the announcement. Meanwhile, at least the local paper is on the case and are canvassing opinions - http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/99228 ... ord_United_/
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

OxVox were not only quick in their response, but extremely confident of their position (&quotthe club's in safe hands, nothing to worry about&quot etc).

This may very well be true, but how can we be sure that there isn't more to it than that, especially given the cryptic wording of JR's parting shot? Either some people at OxVox know something that us mere members don't, or it was a pretty silly comment to make. I'd quite like to know which, really.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

The OxVox response does seem overhasty and overconfident. It was a very odd comment from JR that it wasn't in the best interests of the club to elaborate on his reasons. Seemingly he does feel it in the best interests of the club to release a statement which simply promotes speculation.

On Twitter, JR's son tweeted: &quotFor Oxford fans asking about Dad, he's gutted, loves the club and will always be a fan but it was always him and Kelvin Thomas really.&quot Well, the news about KT's departure came some time ago, so why wait until now to decide to go along with a suggestion of toys being ejected from pram?

My gut feeling is that this isn't a big issue (as already asked, what did JR actually do?), nor an indication of big problems behind the scenes. It is slightly concerning that there isn't a bit of mutual back-slapping going on though.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

It does seem an odd way to go about things, a unilateral resignation to Oxford Mail and the BBC, with all the insinuation by what has not been said.

Rosenthal says he supports the Manager and Team, but it is not in the interests of the Club to say anymore about his resignation. So he doesn't support the ownership / remaining board of Directors anymore?

I don't know what Rosenthal did for the club, other than meet and greet as a famous face in the Directors' box.

Rumours are he has invested / loaned the club money, and there has been a mystery long term loan of £100K in the accounts for a few years, which I reckon is separate to any Bridle/fans loans. If this is his, perhaps he didn't like seeing IL not repaying this whilst spending money elsewhere? Or an unreconcilable difference of opinion on some other matters? or that Thomas had gone, who brought him in in the first place? Or the departure of several staff other than naturally moving on.

The Oxford Mail seem to have taken a sensationalist approach to reporting this, describing it as a 'bombshell', that Oxford United are 'shocked'. Perhaps they don't get as much news as before, so have to dress up anything they can.

I'm not too impressed by their poll either which puts words into your mouth.
Should Oxford United supporters be concerned over the departure of Jim Rosenthal?
Yes, especially with no reasons given by either party
Yes, but I'm sure it will not interfere with the club's progress
No, but it would be interesting to learn more about it
No, I have complete faith in Ian Lenagan and the way the club is run
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:It does seem an odd way to go about things, a unilateral resignation to Oxford Mail and the BBC, with all the insinuation by what has not been said.

Rosenthal says he supports the Manager and Team, but it is not in the interests of the Club to say anymore about his resignation. So he doesn't support the ownership / remaining board of Directors anymore?

I don't know what Rosenthal did for the club, other than meet and greet as a famous face in the Directors' box.

Rumours are he has invested / loaned the club money, and there has been a mystery long term loan of £100K in the accounts for a few years, which I reckon is separate to any Bridle/fans loans. If this is his, perhaps he didn't like seeing IL not repaying this whilst spending money elsewhere? Or an unreconcilable difference of opinion on some other matters? or that Thomas had gone, who brought him in in the first place? Or the departure of several staff other than naturally moving on.

The Oxford Mail seem to have taken a sensationalist approach to reporting this, describing it as a 'bombshell', that Oxford United are 'shocked'. Perhaps they don't get as much news as before, so have to dress up anything they can.

I'm not too impressed by their poll either which puts words into your mouth.
Should Oxford United supporters be concerned over the departure of Jim Rosenthal?
Yes, especially with no reasons given by either party
Yes, but I'm sure it will not interfere with the club's progress
No, but it would be interesting to learn more about it
No, I have complete faith in Ian Lenagan and the way the club is run

As I've posted on OxVox, the poll is a complete waste of chip paper. No one can reply meaningfully to the poll without knowing what has actually gone on.

I wonder if Slappy may be onto something re the loan.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

This thread has over ten thousand reads, but on RO just a couple of hundred - http://yellowsforum.proboards.com/index ... &amppage=5

Is it time to let go of our Forum and let it die?
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Empty drums make most noise and all that ... can't see a lot there that isn't just kneejerk. I do look over there (particularly when this is down) but if this weren't here, I wouldn't contribute. The whole tone of it and the level of debate (and the reactions to opinions that are contrary to the posters) is so depressing. I fear we may be moving into a phase where a calmer and more rational tone of argument is going to become really really important if fans are going to make a contibution to the future.

A propos of this board the unreliability and downtime is becoming a serious issue ... given what I imagine is the firepower here, is there really no way we can make a financial contribution to buy something that is more stable and secure? I don't have the technical skills and knowledge to make it happen but we must have those skills here, surely?

And on the topic: I have absolutely no idea what is going on, so I can see no point in contributing a comment based on ignorance, but will read on in the hope that someone who does know something can shed light. Maybe there aren't many comments because most of us are in the same position and have no basis to speculate?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotSnake&quot wrote:This thread has over ten thousand reads, but on RO just a couple of hundred - http://yellowsforum.proboards.com/index ... &amppage=5

Is it time to let go of our Forum and let it die?
The problem with this forum is in not paying for a stable and reliable host. Consequently it has a lot of downtime, and people begin to drift away and take a long time to come back.

There were a number of reasonable debates starting up again of late, which shows the forum will recover if it can have a serious amount of time without crashing.

Plenty of us have offered to contribute to a decent host, but it needs someone with sufficient expertise, time and inclination to organise it.
Dartford Ox
Puberty

Post by Dartford Ox »

If this forum were to die, I believe the biggest loss would be the 'stats' section so lovingly compiled by Boris. The official OUFC website has a lot to learn.

I have seen Rage Online used as a link on many forums (fora?) as a means to settle a dispute.

Having a butterfly mind I flit to the current 'new broom' ethos sweeping the club. I hope and trust this ethos will not have an adverse effect on Boris's employment situation.

However, if he did become available, I believe he would be the answer to GY's prayers.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:If this forum were to die, I believe the biggest loss would be the 'stats' section so lovingly compiled by Boris. The official OUFC website has a lot to learn.

I have seen Rage Online used as a link on many forums (fora?) as a means to settle a dispute.

Having a butterfly mind I flit to the current 'new broom' ethos sweeping the club. I hope and trust this ethos will not have an adverse effect on Boris's employment situation.

However, if he did become available, I believe he would be the answer to GY's prayers.
I hope Boris' position remains secure as well.

This is a community board and we shouldn't rely on one person to make sure it works.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

Now for the Oxford Mail's poll results.
http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/oxfor ... al_s_exit/

Yes, especially with no reasons given by either party: 60%
Yes, but I'm sure it will not interfere with the club's progress: 6%
No, but it would be interesting to learn more about it: 27%
No, I have complete faith in Ian Lenagan and the way the club is run: 8%
---------------------------------
Somehow they interpret this as meaning 86% want more information. What an utter garbage poll and statistics. Only one 'answer' gives a want to know more option, and that scores 27%.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotDartford Ox&quot wrote:If this forum were to die, I believe the biggest loss would be the 'stats' section so lovingly compiled by Boris
I think the forum and the website are pretty much separate entities, though. The stats section is certainly excellent, but I don't think there's much chance of that being lost, even if access to it has been patchy of late.

The forum, however, will die (and is dying) due to the frequent downtimes, and the only way to avoid this is to switch it to a host who will ensure it is available 24/7. Of course we can't expect Boris to do this, but it needs doing, and quickly, or there'll be no-one left to debate with...